Vacui Natale's Random Thoughts
Because Twitter is blocked on this restricted internet connection and my thoughts are usually longer than 140 characters
Vacui Natale
Too Small to Fail

Threads: 37
E-Pigs: 142.2727
RE: Vacui Natale's Random Thoughts
Yeah, that much is true. I guess the point "Lisa" was trying to make was just to be wary of certain people, since the new girl was pretty much anxious to talk to everyone she met. She was pretty upset when this one guy got her number from someone, and he was texting her pressuring her for sex, because he heard she was "easy." He only thought she was easy, because he only saw her as this "ditzy" blonde who was nice to everyone. Some guys here can be jerks -_-

I totally agree that there was probably a lot more going on that led to that incident, but I forgot some details, and my friend Lisa probably only knew so much when it came to her old roommate. I doubt something like that would happen here again, though, so I don't worry about it. This place is pretty safe, and I don't feel threatened here at all.

Yeah, that was an extreme case. From what I've seen as far as people taking advantage of someone, were just people hanging out with people they don't like just so they can get free cigarettes.

Oh! I wouldn't say I was overly suspicious. Just suspicious of the girls who would say something negative about me when I walked by them, but were suddenly nice to me the next day. I found behavior like that odd, lol. But I've managed to get a nice group of friends, so everything is fine :)

Spoiler:
[Image: rxkWoQK.png]
Spoiler for Awesome Bart Simpson Sig by Shady!:
[Image: GUWIMOj.png]
Spoiler for PSN:
[Image: SDNRK99.png]
17/05/2014 12:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vacui Natale
Too Small to Fail

73.45% done with my trade, so I should be out of here soon-- hopefully by September. Although, I still have to get my permit so I can start Drivers Ed, so I can get my license. In the state of Maryland, you have to have 60 hours behind the wheel before you get your license, so I'm not sure how that's going to work, since I'm still in this place, unless they plan to "bend the truth" and say I've done 60 hours.

I've also abandoned my plan of going off into advanced training, since it will pretty much be a waste of time, according to the Office Administration instructor here. Outside of Job Corps, he owns his own software company and has done IT for years, and the advance training for IT in this place is only for A+. Also, no one is going to hire you if you don't have a Bachelor's Degree for it anyway, even if you're certified, so meh. Apparently, I'll be fine if I get my Expert certification for Excel, which means I'll be able to do accounting and stuff. He actually criticized the OA program here, saying that it would better if Job Corps taught people how to code so they can go out and make some real money. Mr. Soumah [Soo-mah] (the OA instructor) would love to teach students how to code, but he can't and he's pretty much getting frustrated with this place, since they have this dumbass woman in the IT department. It's her job to go around and fix the computers, and apparently, she only has one solution when it comes to fixing the computers and that's to "reimage" them. She reimaged the computers last year, and a ton of students lost all of their data for their work. Mr. Soumah apparently got so pissed he was about to quit. Since he hurt his back last December (he slipped on some ice), he lost his Admin credentials to the PCs, and that woman in the IT department has yet to give them back (she's being slow about it).

Anyway! Mr. Soumah is a great guy. Very knowledgeable about the workforce and actually gives a damn about the students here, and it would suck if he left.

In other news, my 2 week summer break is coming up. Now to call my aunt and cousin to see if I can come "home" during that time. I do not want to be stuck in this place over summer break.

Spoiler:
Spoiler for PSN:
21/06/2014 12:01 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
(21/06/2014 12:01 PM)Vacui Natale Wrote:  Also, no one is going to hire you if you don't have a Bachelor's Degree for it anyway, even if you're certified, so meh.
[...]
He actually criticized the OA program here, saying that it would better if Job Corps taught people how to code so they can go out and make some real money.
I doubt it would be the case for the program you're in.  For a 6 month program, you'd only be able to do some introductory coding.  It may be enough for an IT role, but hardly if you plan to have a career in software development.  And if IT, well, if no-one's gonna hire you without a Bachelor's degree, adding a bit of coding knowledge won't really help.

(21/06/2014 12:01 PM)Vacui Natale Wrote:  It's her job to go around and fix the computers, and apparently, she only has one solution when it comes to fixing the computers and that's to "reimage" them. She reimaged the computers last year, and a ton of students lost all of their data for their work.
To be fair, that's my general experience with IT.  It goes against my beliefs, but it does somewhat make sense as the solution requiring the least amount of effort.
I'm not sure what the policy of saving work there is, but often IT set up a network drive so that local disks can be wiped without losing work (or, more importantly, so that the data can be backed up - a hard disk failure would otherwise cause lost work too).

(21/06/2014 12:01 PM)Vacui Natale Wrote:  Anyway! Mr. Soumah is a great guy. Very knowledgeable about the workforce and actually gives a damn about the students here, and it would suck if he left.
I don't disagree with you, but from what you've said, I feel a little suspicious.  There's people around who sound very impressive, make big statements (often about how things could be improved) and are good at building rapport with others.  But if you poke a little deeper you'll find that they only really have a small (though usually broad) amount of actual knowledge, and largely all just talk.  Not saying that he's like that at all (after all, I don't know him), but something to keep an eye out for.

Enjoy your break!
24/06/2014 12:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vacui Natale
Too Small to Fail

(24/06/2014 12:38 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  
(21/06/2014 12:01 PM)Vacui Natale Wrote:  It's her job to go around and fix the computers, and apparently, she only has one solution when it comes to fixing the computers and that's to "reimage" them. She reimaged the computers last year, and a ton of students lost all of their data for their work.
To be fair, that's my general experience with IT.  It goes against my beliefs, but it does somewhat make sense as the solution requiring the least amount of effort.
I'm not sure what the policy of saving work there is, but often IT set up a network drive so that local disks can be wiped without losing work (or, more importantly, so that the data can be backed up - a hard disk failure would otherwise cause lost work too).

There lies the problem. There isn't a network drive at Woodstock Job Corps, because she doesn't know how to set one up. Which is why I specifically use one computer to do my work, since that's where most of it is saved. In the event someone uses it while I'm on my lunch break, I will save the file(s) to my portable external HDD, or just email it to myself.

Oh, and thanks! I'm currently enjoying my summer break. Although, every time I come home, I never know what to do with myself >.<

Spoiler:
Spoiler for PSN:
28/06/2014 09:45 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
(28/06/2014 09:45 AM)Vacui Natale Wrote:  There lies the problem. There isn't a network drive at Woodstock Job Corps, because she doesn't know how to set one up.
:/

Well, I suppose it's no surprise that a place like that is relatively under-funded...
29/06/2014 04:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply