Wangan Midnight Portable- PSP Game Review
mime
♫ Benetnasch Eta ♫

Threads: 30
E-Pigs: 5.2262
Wangan Midnight Portable- PSP Game Review
Well guys I'm a HUGE fan of "Wangan Midnight" I play Maximum Tune 3 the Arcade. And I took a bit of my time to do this. Lets share it.

As a fan of the Arcade I had to get the PSP game when released (September, 27th, 2007). The same game was released for the PS3 as well, same graphics and different menus, the handling and everything else stayed the same.  I took pictures of the game for you all to see and a review of the game as well.

[Image: 20070929174346741.jpg]                    [Image: wangan_midnight.jpg]
1. Car Handling:
I don't like it too much... Its a little hard to even change lanes and when you do the car has this weird Engine that makes it go back in place. Like you turn and when you let go the car has this little movement that goes the opposite way. NOTHING like Maximum tune. Still is bearable and I guess with some time I'll get use to it.

2. Graphics:
Obviously they are not like the arcade. But they are not bad. It kinda looks just like "NFS Carbon" *PSP version*I liked them, I was racing C1 inward and it was the very same same thing *course wise* . I don't see many billboards and lights and stuff like the Arcade version. Probably to make it not lag or to avoid slow gameplay, but theres some.

3. Music:
SUCKS......!!!!!!! Repetitive beats.. Is not even music.. Is just a bunch of beats going over and over. The game didnt even have a "opening scene" which stinks. the music of the game is simply trash, not even one drop of techno / electronic music like in "Maximum Tune Arcade". For that reason I was forced to change ALL The music manually myself to "Maximum Tune 3 music"  I changed the Music and the menus to match that of Maximum Tune.

4. Recommend:
I do.. If your a fan of Wangan... This game is a must.. Myself... Im dissapointed. I kinda wanted a PORT from the arcade, Just like they did with Initial-D for the psp.. Even the same music.. But Id say yes! get it. Its a nice game.

Some of you were wondering how the game could be in English, well its only the "menus" the rest is ALL Japanese.

Main Menu:
[Image: mainmenu.jpg]

Car Selection: (after you pick your car you have the option to select "MT" or "AT"  I didnt get a screen of that.

Car's Color Selection:
[Image: carse.jpg]

Track Selection:
[Image: tracksel.jpg]

These are the "3' views available for you:

First person:
[Image: first.jpg]

Third Person:
[Image: third.jpg]

Bumper View (Maximum Tune style):
[Image: bumper.jpg]

I tried out the Online playing with my friend and this is the screen you get when you win, You just have to have a friend close with a psp that has the game, you create a  "Time Attack" or just a "race attack" and then he goes into VS Mode and automatically he'll see your created "game" and he'll join.. Its flawless! no lag and if you Pause the game . All players will start from 0 MPH after getting on again.

[Image: online.jpg]

In Tuning Mode; you'll get "6 Missions"  Each giving you an upgrade of one part of your vehicle. You get graded/ranked with letters  "S to D"  Probably theres a "F" grade but I havent gotten it yet.  You get "C+" etc.. its pretty fun but too hard because Its impossible NOT to hit a wall, since handling in the game SUCKS a bit.

After the 6 Missions:
[Image: results.jpg]
Then you get to change your  "rims" "wing" "color" "Aero Kit" etc, If you want to change your rims or anything you'll have to do the missions again.

Story Mode:

You'll greet your opponent with this nice screen of them and their car:
[Image: opponent.jpg]

You get your Opponent picture on top of the screen and a Horizontal life/outrun bar. When this bar is completely emptied he loses. You have to outrun them always.

Just like Maximum Tune Arcade games they'll talk and say random stuff while your racing them.

[Image: story2.jpg]

How good this game is??

Game Title :  Wangan Midnight Portable
Firmware Required : 3.30
Game Description : Tokyo Metropolitan Expressway Races (Shuto Expressway)
Number Of Players : 1  (4 online)
Genre : Racing Game
Retail Price : 48.90 (play-asia.com) Game available only in JAPAN.
Graphics out of 10 :  10
Sound out of 10 :     1
Controls out of 10 :   9
Gameplay out of 10 :  8
Overall out of 10 :      7

Well I hope you guys enjoy the mini preview of the game and my Review!

[Image: goldsaints2.png]
11/04/2008 09:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
beaner2k6
∞©∞

Threads: 62
E-Pigs: 73.7237
RE: Wangan Midnight Portable- PSP Game Review
cool, I'm a fan of the anime, I'll give this another try

[Image: beaner2k6.jpg]
[Image: 218ohu.jpg]
[Image: newbitmapimage3aj5.png]
[Image: beaner2k6.png]
(This post was last modified: 11/04/2008 09:25 AM by beaner2k6.)
11/04/2008 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SchmilK
Noob

Threads: 359
E-Pigs: 82.0266
i still want an english version of Initial D..i played that in the arcade a few times and enjoyed it..butalas...only japan gets to understand that game :(

limneosgreen Wrote:Take my advice, don't try to install custom themes ... it's possible to brick ur psp.. why just don't change wallpaper
11/04/2008 09:35 AM
mime
♫ Benetnasch Eta ♫

Threads: 30
E-Pigs: 5.2262
Hey Beaner ^^ yeah man try it out, the main menu is completely in English the history mode text though and what you have to do is Japanese but trust me is really easy to get.

Schmilk -  I have Initial-D also and I understand that... That game has no English besides from "NEW RECORD" haha  but I got used to the menu, just memorize the picture and text and you should be good to go.  

I'll review Initial-D :) soon like this game.

[Image: goldsaints2.png]
11/04/2008 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Way Of Destruction 33

Threads: 25
E-Pigs: 11.3336
its good but it would have pwned if it was like the arcade version.
11/04/2008 11:27 AM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
Midnight Club 3's Graphics is far superior..
11/04/2008 12:06 PM
feinicks
One day... we Fly...

Threads: 531
E-Pigs: 210817.3958
Initial D was sweet... liked it much.

◄◄••• 天使たちの夢か? •••►►

[Image: ewualizer.gif]
My works!
11/04/2008 12:49 PM
Syfe
Blackened Rose Hero.

Threads: 77
E-Pigs: 54.0003

Rip Signature.
[Image: sig.gif]
11/04/2008 03:48 PM
boogschd
boogyman
Worlds End

Threads: 90
E-Pigs: 43.6852
never heard of this game ...
are the cars licensed?
it looks kinda like street supremacy (yeah that game kinda sucked with the handling as well .. plus u get the loading screen after every single thing u do .. double you tee eff)

anyway.. it looks good .. better that NFS:ps for the PSP im thinking
* boogschd searches for the psp version

oh & thanks for reviewing the game :D
11/04/2008 05:39 PM