XMB HEX'ing Help (Advanced)
Needing help on some advanced XMB hacking
bboy_sonik
Byeeeeeeeeee

Threads: 8
E-Pigs: 2.8344
XMB HEX'ing Help (Advanced)
Hello everyone!

First thread in a while. I am currently running 3.52 M33-4, somewhat reluctant to update right now for this reason. I have been working on a rather extravagant theme for some time now, I have done most of the graphics and such. But with editing the PRX's, I have hit a bit of a wall. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of hacking these things, if it even possible. If anyone has any advice at all, i would be extremely grateful beyond all reason (come to my house for a massage and a gormet meal if you like... lol). Please be aware that i have searched for weeks, and came up nothing. And if it's here on Endless Paradigm, it's extremely well hidden. My doubts are that if it ISN'T on EP, then they don't exist (cause you guys are masters). Anyway, here goes.

- I am trying to find a way to modify the way you browse through the XMB. Specifically, when you push left and right, the cursor position stays in the same place, but the 6 actual icons throw to the left or right. I am trying to find a way so ALL the options are 'fixed', and the actual CURSOR moves left and right, rather than the icons moving left and right. Is this possible? Oh - also looking to do the same for the submenu up/down movement.

Even if this is possible, and if i do find the way, it presents another problem. You know how say, when you turn on a PSP from a cold boot, throw the XMB all the way left to System, and it defaults to an option that is a few one's down from the top of the options? I.E., Video Options is selected instead of Network Update. Is this changeable or editable? I hope you guys can understand what I'm asking lol.

- I am STILL looking for a way to load an EBOOT from an XMB menu option. Specifically, a PRX that will execute an EBOOT. There was one compatible with 2.71 SE, but has been broken ever since. Does anybody know of one that exists? Or, who made this original prx and how to contact them, or anyone who would know HOW to create one? Or could i even create one myself? Is it possible? I want it so bad that I would learn an entire new language if i had to... My overall goal is to execute an EBOOT from flash1. This was not possible however even with the 2.71SE working one, it had to be in the GAME folder but didn't need to be in a subfolder (must of been a PSP limitation or something). This isn't really EXTREMELY urgent, but it's something I've been looking for for such a long time...

- I have spent many hours of HEX examination trying to find this. A way to move the UMD and MemoryStick options in the XMB from one category to another. vpe.exe (VSH PRX Editor) does not do this, for the obvious reason that all the UMD and MSDuo menu option are not in the same area/format as other XMB menu entries. After some studies, i think it may have something to do with the menu entries' relevant PRX, for example - to move the MemoryStick option under GAME to another category you would have to HEX edit game_plugin.prx. I am too n00b to research anymore, i don't even know if I'm right with that - it's just a hunch...

Yeah, bit of a list. I would be so damn happy-as-larry if anyone has any idea or pointers. And believe me, if all that is possible - you will be impressed with the theme when it's finished! And I'm usually a very modest person!

If all this can be done, i will release the theme as a community project, everyone who helped will be given credit obviously, it will be fully documented on how it was done/what was done and such so anyone can 'skin' it and help out. It is so close to completion, i can't wait I'm srsly gonna pee my pants!

Thanks so much in advance guys. And as usual, sorry for the long post. Peace!

P.S. Are there any other sites/forums as active as endlessparadigm with regards to PRX editing and XMB customization? Or is EP the most active?
P.P.S. I will upload a few screenshots of the theme (or 'hackpack' as i like to call it) so far if anyone likes. But note that they will be semi fake (simply because my problems above have not been overcome).
P.P.P.S. Remember, i am using 3.52 M33. Should i update the project to the latest CFW now? I have doubts about it is all, I've read about some scary problems...

Thanks again!
(This post was last modified: 04/10/2007 11:40 PM by bboy_sonik.)
04/10/2007 11:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
RE: XMB HEX'ing Help (Advanced)
Hi :)
bboy_sonik Wrote:- I am trying to find a way to modify the way you browse through the XMB. Specifically, when you push left and right, the cursor position stays in the same place, but the 6 actual icons throw to the left or right. I am trying to find a way so ALL the options are 'fixed', and the actual CURSOR moves left and right, rather than the icons moving left and right. Is this possible? Oh - also looking to do the same for the submenu up/down movement.
One possibility is chucking the icons into the background, and make the actual icons, the "cursor".  It would achieve your effect, however, without animation.
Not sure about vertical movement - I've never really kept up on PRX editing possibilities.

bboy_sonik Wrote:Even if this is possible, and if i do find the way, it presents another problem. You know how say, when you turn on a PSP from a cold boot, throw the XMB all the way left to System, and it defaults to an option that is a few one's down from the top of the options? I.E., Video Options is selected instead of Network Update. Is this changeable or editable? I hope you guys can understand what I'm asking lol.
Doesn't VPE allow re-ordering?

bboy_sonik Wrote:- I am STILL looking for a way to load an EBOOT from an XMB menu option. Specifically, a PRX that will execute an EBOOT. There was one compatible with 2.71 SE, but has been broken ever since. Does anybody know of one that exists? Or, who made this original prx and how to contact them, or anyone who would know HOW to create one? Or could i even create one myself? Is it possible? I want it so bad that I would learn an entire new language if i had to... My overall goal is to execute an EBOOT from flash1. This was not possible however even with the 2.71SE working one, it had to be in the GAME folder but didn't need to be in a subfolder (must of been a PSP limitation or something). This isn't really EXTREMELY urgent, but it's something I've been looking for for such a long time...
Dunno if this works on 3.52: http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-f...94860.html

bboy_sonik Wrote:P.S. Are there any other sites/forums as active as endlessparadigm with regards to PRX editing and XMB customization? Or is EP the most active?
Maxconsole would be the only other viable place :P
05/10/2007 12:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bboy_sonik
Byeeeeeeeeee

Threads: 8
E-Pigs: 2.8344
RE: XMB HEX'ing Help (Advanced)
Soz Zinga, and soz for reviving an old thread... throught id be polite/nice and give my notes :P feel free to lock this thread admins now, if you wish.

ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:One possibility is chucking the icons into the background, and make the actual icons, the "cursor".  It would achieve your effect, however, without animation.
Not sure about vertical movement - I've never really kept up on PRX editing possibilities.
Already sorted out :) thanks for pointing me in the right direction, all those weeks ago i first read it!

bboy_sonik Wrote:Even if this is possible, and if i do find the way, it presents another problem. You know how say, when you turn on a PSP from a cold boot, throw the XMB all the way left to System, and it defaults to an option that is a few one's down from the top of the options? I.E., Video Options is selected instead of Network Update. Is this changeable or editable? I hope you guys can understand what I'm asking lol.
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:Doesn't VPE allow re-ordering?

3.71 M33-4 bugs up with re-ordering. I won't bother with detail yet, im still building a list of questions about my probs with latest XTREME theme lol

bboy_sonik Wrote:- I am STILL looking for a way to load an EBOOT from an XMB menu option. Specifically, a PRX that will execute an EBOOT. There was one compatible with 2.71 SE, but has been broken ever since. Does anybody know of one that exists? Or, who made this original prx and how to contact them, or anyone who would know HOW to create one? Or could i even create one myself? Is it possible? I want it so bad that I would learn an entire new language if i had to... My overall goal is to execute an EBOOT from flash1. This was not possible however even with the 2.71SE working one, it had to be in the GAME folder but didn't need to be in a subfolder (must of been a PSP limitation or something). This isn't really EXTREMELY urgent, but it's something I've been looking for for such a long time...
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:Dunno if this works on 3.52: http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-f...94860.html
I found one for 3.71 M33... but only half my homebrew EBOOTS work with the plugin. I think its loading in 3.71 kernal mode or something... not worried about it anymore/right now.

OK, im done. Cheers for all the help Zinga. As i said, this was just a formality so I don't get a reputation as a rude pr*ck lol. Peace.

EDIT: Everything else i asked about is redundant and/or solved. Feel free to close this thread any moderators. Thanks again.
(This post was last modified: 13/12/2007 09:03 PM by bboy_sonik.)
13/12/2007 09:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply