E-Pigs: 383.2289
Plastic Memories
[Image: 23r5unc.jpg]

EP Anime Club Spring 2015 Pick
Plastic Memories Discussion Thread

Simulcast every Saturday (6pm UTC) starting April 4th

How To Watch

Official Steaming Services
Daisuki (Free (same-day simulcast unconfirmed))
Crunchyroll (Premium simulcast (HD)/Free on one week delay (SD))

(North America, Central America, South America, and Europe excluding the UK, Republic of Ireland, Germany, Austria and Liechtenstein)

Hulu (Free)
(United States)

Viewster (Meant to be simulcast, not yet launched, news soon)
(UK and Ireland)

If you can confirm any of the details noted as unconfirmed above, please let me know!
Using an official stream in an unlisted territory? Let us know!

Fansubs Groups
Kantai-Subs

General discussion of Plastic Memories happens here but the latest episode has its own thread. As each new episode is aired the previous week's episode thread will be merged into this.

Latest Episode Discussion
(This post was last modified: 19/07/2015 03:14 AM by S7*.)
06/04/2015 12:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
Plastic Memories Episode 1
EP Anime Club
Plastic Memories Episode 1 Discussion

Anime Info including How To Watch
06/04/2015 12:19 PM
squee666
Grand Warlock

Threads: 351
E-Pigs: 555.8899
RE: Plastic Memories Episode 1
Error: Please Continue the discussion

[Image: IuZelj2.png]
Spoiler for anime watched:
[Image: squee666.jpg]
06/04/2015 01:55 PM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

(06/04/2015 01:55 PM)squee666 Wrote:  Error: Please Continue the discussion

This will be the format for series discussion, as it'll all end up in one thread

I may have seen it already if it weren't for the Viewster delay! Roar
(This post was last modified: 07/04/2015 09:58 AM by S7*.)
06/04/2015 02:54 PM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

A sigh of relief! I didn't know what to expect from this show but the first episode shows  promise!

I like the setting of the story - it feels like a imaginable future Tokyo

The characters are likeable enough. Isla is adorable... it's quite obvious that she's troubled by the expected existential crisis a Giftia would have but curiously the examples of an end-of-life Giftia wee've seen suggest they shouldn't really think that way... how long does she have left I wonder? Wee could have a painfully predictable "I don't want to die break down" conclusion to this show.

There are plenty of other questions as well: Is there no actual way to tell between a Giftia and human? Why can't Giftia really last longer than 9 years? Will Mizugaki get to see more of what happens to "expired" Giftia?

Hoping that Isla and Mizugaki's relationship remains platonic as well... but I'm not sure if I'll be in luck on this point judging from what has already happened.

Oh and that emotional ending - it does suggest there will be a lot of sad scenes throughout the series. >.< Though it looks like they're keen to keep it light in the meantime, though, which will be welcomed by most I would imagine.
(This post was last modified: 07/04/2015 10:12 AM by S7*.)
07/04/2015 09:52 AM
eKusoshisut0
NOIDED

Threads: 102
E-Pigs: 174.7326
It's an interesting concept so far. That last scene I saw coming but I'm curious about one thing, these Giftia... people sign a contract to have them knowing full well that they will be unusable after 9 years right? Knowing that fact made it hard for me to have any sympathy for the old woman and I didn't really feel much when she had to part with Nina

[Image: tumblr_mlae69vAW21rmerh9o1_400.gif]

More stuff
Steam Page
[Image: K7UVN.png]
Thanks to Vacui_Natale for making this awesome siggy.
[Image: cq8au.gif]
Thanks to Natalie for this sexy Mawaru Penguindrum sig. <3
[Image: ofusT.png][

[Image: 9252_s.gif]

07/04/2015 10:49 PM
ProperBritish
Daddy Proper
Team DreamArts

Threads: 192
E-Pigs: 147.7035
(07/04/2015 10:49 PM)eKusoshisut0 Wrote:  It's an interesting concept so far. That last scene I saw coming but I'm curious about one thing, these Giftia... people sign a contract to have them knowing full well that they will be unusable after 9 years right? Knowing that fact made it hard for me to have any sympathy for the old woman and I didn't really feel much when she had to part with Nina

you monster.

I can understand as a parent the bond you'd create with someone you see as your child, your family. Which is why it almost made me cry.

You'd feel sorry for someone/sad when their dog or cat expires after X years of being your pet, a loved and treasured member of the family too, wouldn't you? Why not an android who has filled the same shoes?

You'd never want to lose them, but you will, and you have to because it's for the best, for the both of you.

I really enjoyed this and it has great promise for future eps.

[Image: rsz_contrast.png]

Spoiler for More sigs:
[Image: 6xu74t8]
[Image: sig.php]

[Image: 656embk]
[Image: sig.png]
(This post was last modified: 08/04/2015 03:51 PM by ProperBritish.)
08/04/2015 03:49 PM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

(08/04/2015 03:49 PM)ProperBritish Wrote:  You'd feel sorry for someone/sad when their dog or cat expires after X years of being your pet, a loved and treasured member of the family too, wouldn't you? Why not an android who has filled the same shoes?

That's a good analogy. I hadn't thought of it that way. Androids make good pets. Giftia have emotions and as such are capable of having a meaningful role in someone's life - that could be as the child someone could never have or as a lover - both demonstrated in this first episode.
09/04/2015 12:53 PM
1-R
forced consensual sex
Team DreamArts

Threads: 396
E-Pigs: 115.1024
I enjoyed the first episode. The main characters are hella generic though, like the 'ara ara' 'baaaaka' redhead woman, the silent monotone cute girl doing cute things, the generic shaggy hair anime self-insert male...bleh.

Other than that it was enjoyable, will decide on 2nd ep. if I want to continue.

[Image: OLmvS.png]
Twit | DA | G+ | Last.fm
10/04/2015 02:39 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
Watched the first episode since a number of EPers seem to be interested in it.

I'm guessing the rest of the show will be a bit different from the first episode, mainly because I can't see the same formula being repeated every episode.  It might follow a structure similar to Shigofumi - a bunch of stories whilst the main underlying plot develops, but I suspect the stories will span multiple episodes.

The length of 9 years is somewhat curious.  It's long enough to grow quite fond of something, as well as largely ignore the impending expiration, but perhaps not long enough to push it into the realms of "lifelong friend".  It's also long enough for technology to significantly change... but let's ignore that for now.
There's definitely some metaphorical connection between "retrieval" and the concept of death, but tweaked in some ways:
  • known lifespan is quite exact
  • life degradation seems minimal; with a typical living being, you notice the effects of aging.  Whilst it's said that the bots most likely experienced some memory issues, there seems to be minimal signs of aging.  It's probably easier to accept someone who died of old age, as opposed to a perfectly healthy person dying in a car crash
    • though the way Isla acts may be suggestive of development of faults?
  • someone comes and, essentially, kills the bot, as opposed to the bot dying on its own, or through any fault of its own
  • the owner must explicitly allow the "killing" - i.e. makes them feel like they actually have a responsibility for the death of their bot

Could potentially be more devastating than the death of a friend, in a way.
It's interesting that they clearly went to a lot of effort to emulate human behaviour - down to a similar digestive system which requires toilet trips.  More common predictions don't emulate less desirable aspects of humans (such as bothersome emotions), but I suppose, they're often shown as clearly different to humans.  Plastic Memories tries hard to blur the line between bot and human (bots are basically humans the lifespan caveat).

Unfortunately, having a computer background makes one wonder about the technicalities, like...
  • why can't the data just be backed up?
  • couldn't they just have an in-built timer which causes the bot to fail at the predestined time?
    • seems a lot easier than this whole retrieval process...
    • hey, I'm sure Intel would be really happy if they could just make your CPU just die after X years of use.  Aww, your CPU died?  Here's a shiny new one for $300, and will last you another 3 years!
  • speaking of business, what would happen if the company went bankrupt?
  • or wouldn't just sticking a clause in the EULA be so much more convenient?
    • I suppose this could be a large company, considering that they seem to have a monopoly on robot production, and they evidently had the capability to mass produce them.  In which case, a small team (whose budget is constantly being cut) of retrievers are probably cheaper than legal costs of enforcing a contract?
      I also suppose speculating on this point is rather pointless and leads no where, and is just making banter out of an unimportant detail, but I like the look of my own writing.

Of course, it's entirely possible that these aren't digital at all - more like artificial beings, , which could explain a number of limitations.

As for personal enjoyment, it could go either way at this stage.  The 'it feels somewhat too contrived' feeling at the moment is a bit disturbing, but if they can make me ignore it, it could get interesting.
10/04/2015 06:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply