PS Vita Impressions Thread
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
PS Vita Impressions Thread
Inevitable thread.

Share your thoughts and discuss the successor to the Playstation Portable!

I've only had mine for a couple of days but I'm liking it a lot.

Rayman Origins is loads of fun and I've yet to unwrap Wipeout 2048 or play the FIFA/Dynasty Warriors/Super Stardust Delta demos I downloaded directly from the PS Store.

The interface makes more of an impression over time and the "multitasking" is excellent.

Joysticks are ridiculously better than the PSPs one. The screen is gorgeous, AMOLED, twice the res of the PSP although I think its resolution may fall behind quickly it suits the purpose for now.

I share the same sentiments as SkyDX about it being a little darker than wee're used to. Be it the Galaxy S or iPhone, Smartphones can go much brighter. Perhaps it was just a precaution for the sake of the battery.

Build quality is very nice, touch response is excellent... cameras aren't fantastic but not sure what you're doing if you're buying it for the cameras.

Overall, very happy with it so far! Looking forward to more games being announced (and a release date on Technika Vita.)
27/02/2012 03:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grey Ghost
Still kicking!
Fractal Insanity

Threads: 112
E-Pigs: 161.5986
RE: PS Vita Impressions Thread
Im pretty impressed with it and have been researching and getting hyped for it the last few days.

Will have mine by next month hopefully.

Edit: Not to happy about the mem sticks though. Having to by one all over again, and having them all at pretty standard sizes again. I mean if they expect you to dl games from the store then a 4gb or 8gb are useless. Uncharted alone is like 3.6gb then installs 2gb of data on top of that. I guarantee the games will get bigger with time too. So a big memory stick, for me personally, is a must and in time im sure that 16gb or 32gb won't even cut it for me. So wee'll see what they do on that front.

What do you think Sensei and how big is your memory card?
(This post was last modified: 27/02/2012 03:43 PM by Grey Ghost.)
27/02/2012 03:30 PM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

I'm a fan of having games in hand. Part of the disappointment in hearing some games will be PSN exclusive to be honest. Gravity Daze and Super Stardust Delta - because I have no other choice - are the only PSN games I intend on buying.

Bearing this in mind, lets say the most important games get released on physical media. There's still the issue of PSP games having to be virtual, and the same will apply to PSX games when they become functional on the Vita. Luckily for me there aren't many PSP games I intend on (re)buying.

Luckily for me, I got a free 8GB card with Amazon UK's bundle offer. At least that gives me the chance to wait on price drops.
27/02/2012 03:54 PM
andrewcc
OMG they killed Kenny!
Worlds End

Threads: 305
E-Pigs: 49.4291
the vita seems tempting but I'm not entirely sure if I'll get one to be honest. having no physical copy of a game is a pain in the donkey for me and there doesn't seem to be any games worth getting in my eyes atm. there probably is some potential there if it gets hacked but hey i'd just stick the exact same poo poo on there as i have on my psp now so all in all i won't be investing in a vita any time soon

[Image: spideysigcopycopycopy.png?t=1308548347]

[Image: ccandrew.png]

Object Link

Click here to view embedded webpage

Please note that by activating this feature, there may be undesirable consequences

Page: http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/v=2/track=2423211127/size=venti/bgcol=FFFFFF/linkcol=4285BB/
27/02/2012 04:45 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
See if some cheap Chinese MicroSD » Vita card adapter ever comes out...
27/02/2012 05:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tetris999

Threads: 298
E-Pigs: 82.5657
(27/02/2012 05:41 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  See if some cheap Chinese MicroSD » Vita card adapter ever comes out...

Aren't the vita sticks as big as m2's? If that's the case, I don't think they'd be able to make an adapter to fit it, as such with the case of the psp go.

Then again, I don't know the specifics and what's needed to MAKE an adaptor work, but I assume you need at least some space for circuitry.

As for my opinion on the vita, I'm actually not hyped for it at all. Probably because I lost interest in the sony entertainment industry and what not, but I'm still attached to my psp go. Probably because of the fact that I still have many, many, games to play on it, including PSX. So I just don't see the need of the newer handheld, like everyone is saying, the vita NEEDS GOOD GAMES or it will NEVER take off as a market success. I heard all the other parts of the psp (web browser, media, etc.) are dismal compared to other smartphone OS's and software, which makes sense given the lifetime of the unit.

Also, I don't know about dev'ing for the machine either, as I don't think homebrew will be coming to it any time soon (all the big name hackers are all stabbing each other of the ps3).

to be honest, I worry for the future of the vita, but it's good to hear that you guys are enjoying it so far, I'll probably get it a year or two down the road.

MY SIG IS FUCKING DEAD
(This post was last modified: 27/02/2012 06:08 PM by Tetris999.)
27/02/2012 06:01 PM
Assassinator

Threads: 176
E-Pigs: 140.8363
No plans on buying as of right now.

I hardly game portably at all anyway. Most of the time I just used my old PSP as a MP3 player and video player.
(This post was last modified: 27/02/2012 07:29 PM by Assassinator.)
27/02/2012 06:04 PM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

(27/02/2012 06:01 PM)Tetris999 Wrote:  ... like everyone is saying, the vita NEEDS GOOD GAMES or it will NEVER take off as a market success. I heard all the other parts of the psp (web browser, media, etc.) are dismal compared to other smartphone OS's and software, which makes sense given the lifetime of the unit.

The fact I've already bought two games and looking to buy another two or three in the coming three months is a very good start imo. Different tastes for different people I know but the quality of the games are high and getting very good scores from critics, understandably.

The web browser rendering is much better than PSP (it works with most modern sites, for starters) but it's not as fast as smartphones - it does get the job done though.

I have no intention playing music on it and videos play beautifully on it when encoded properly, though if I'm missing something the options available on the PSP have been severely cut for the Vita.

Interestingly, "LiveTweet" (take this as an example if anything) the twitter client for Vita is easily better than any of the Twitter clients I've tried on my phone. Supports the features you expect it to and then some - it's UI is beautiful. I hope more nifty little programs like this come Vita's way.

Can't stress enough though, this is a console with gamers in mind, not someone looking for a PMP or tablet-esque features - comparing it to either or smartphone OSs such as Android simply makes no sense.
27/02/2012 06:39 PM
Vacui Natale
Too Small to Fail

Threads: 37
E-Pigs: 142.2727
(27/02/2012 06:04 PM)Assassinator Wrote:  No plans on buying as of right now.

I hardly game portably at all anyway. Most of the time I just used my old PSP as a MP3 player and video player.

Pretty much this...

Spoiler:
[Image: rxkWoQK.png]
Spoiler for Awesome Bart Simpson Sig by Shady!:
[Image: GUWIMOj.png]
Spoiler for PSN:
[Image: SDNRK99.png]
27/02/2012 07:41 PM
bsanehi
Always use protection!

Threads: 151
E-Pigs: 113.2728
IMO it's too expensive right now, so I'm just gonna wait till a new slim model comes out with TV-OUT and a better camera. And by that time the memory sticks will be cheaper hopefully.

[Image: pluginslist2.png]
27/02/2012 07:57 PM