Scientists Reconstruct Brains’ Visions Into Digital Video
eKusoshisut0
NOIDED

Threads: 102
E-Pigs: 174.7326
Scientists Reconstruct Brains’ Visions Into Digital Video

Quote:UC Berkeley scientists have developed a system to capture visual activity in human brains and reconstruct it as digital video clips. Eventually, this process will allow you to record and reconstruct your own dreams on a computer screen.

I just can't believe this is happening for real, but according to Professor Jack Gallant—UC Berkeley neuroscientist and coauthor of the research published today in the journal Current Biology—"this is a major leap toward reconstructing internal imagery. Wee are opening a window into the movies in our minds."

Indeed, it's mindblowing. I'm simultaneously excited and terrified. This is how it works:
They used three different subjects for the experiments—incidentally, they were part of the research team because it requires being inside a functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging system for hours at a time. The subjects were exposed to two different groups of Hollywood movie trailers as the fMRI system recorded the brain's blood flow through their brains' visual cortex.

The readings were fed into a computer program in which they were divided into three-dimensional pixels units called voxels (volumetric pixels). This process effectively decodes the brain signals generated by moving pictures, connecting the shape and motion information from the movies to specific brain actions. As the sessions progressed, the computer learned more and more about how the visual activity presented on the screen corresponded to the brain activity.

An 18-million-second picture palette

After recording this information, another group of clips was used to reconstruct the videos shown to the subjects. The computer analyzed 18 million seconds of random YouTube video, building a database of potential brain activity for each clip. From all these videos, the software picked the one hundred clips that caused a brain activity more similar to the ones the subject watched, combining them into one final movie. Although the resulting fukn is low resolution and blurry, it clearly matched the actual clips watched by the subjects.

Think about those 18 million seconds of random videos as a painter's color palette. A painter sees a red rose in real life and tries to reproduce the color using the different kinds of reds available in his palette, combining them to match what he's seeing. The software is the painter and the 18 million seconds of random video is its color palette. It analyzes how the brain reacts to certain stimuli, compares it to the brain reactions to the 18-million-second palette, and picks what more closely matches those brain reactions. Then it combines the clips into a new one that matches what the subject was seeing. Notice that the 18 million seconds of motion video are not what the subject is seeing. They are random bits used just to compose the brain image.

Given a big enough database of video material and enough computing power, the system would be able to match any images in your brain.

In this other video you can see how this process worked in the three experimental targets. On the top left square you can see the movie the subjects were watching while they were in the fMRI machine. Right below you can see the movie "extracted" from their brain activity. It shows that this technique gives consistent results independent of what's being watched—or who's watching. The three lines of clips next to the left column show the random movies that the computer program used to reconstruct the visual information.

Right now, the resulting quality is not good, but the potential is enormous. Lead research author—and one of the lab test bunnies—Shinji Nishimoto thinks this is the first step to tap directly into what our brain sees and imagines:

Our natural visual experience is like watching a movie. In order for this technology to have wide applicability, wee must understand how the brain processes these dynamic visual experiences.

The brain recorders of the future

Imagine that. Capturing your visual memories, your dreams, the wild ramblings of your imagination into a video that you and others can watch with your own eyes.

This is the first time in history that wee have been able to decode brain activity and reconstruct motion pictures in a computer screen. The path that this research opens boggles the mind. It reminds me of Brainstorm, the cult movie in which a group of scientists lead by Christopher Walken develops a machine capable of recording the five senses of a human being and then play them back into the brain itself.

This new development brings us closer to that goal which, I have no doubt, will happen at one point. Given the exponential increase in computing power and our understanding of human biology, I think this will arrive sooner than most mortals expect. Perhaps one day you would be able to go to sleep with a flexible band around your skull labeled Sony Dreamcam, wirelessly connected to your iPad 7

SOURCE

ALTERNATIVE LINK

[Image: tumblr_mlae69vAW21rmerh9o1_400.gif]

More stuff
Steam Page
[Image: K7UVN.png]
Thanks to Vacui_Natale for making this awesome siggy.
[Image: cq8au.gif]
Thanks to Natalie for this sexy Mawaru Penguindrum sig. <3
[Image: ofusT.png][

[Image: 9252_s.gif]

(This post was last modified: 23/09/2011 10:01 AM by eKusoshisut0.)
23/09/2011 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gsmoke
Noob

Threads: 103
E-Pigs: 36.9914
RE: Scientists Reconstruct Brains’ Visions Into Digital Video
Ohh my god , and how the brain understand this... interesting.

“Fear not for the future, weep not for the past.”
23/09/2011 02:17 PM
Silvertie
Older, less cringe, still mad.
Fractal Insanity

Threads: 32
E-Pigs: 32.7022
Huh, it's like composite imaging for videos. Funky.

"Books! I've read several on the subject!"
[Image: khadorsigfinal.jpg]
Silvertie: The Blog | A Door In Nowhere: The Webcomic
23/09/2011 06:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1-R
forced consensual sex
Team DreamArts

Threads: 396
E-Pigs: 115.1024
Funky indeed @_@

[Image: OLmvS.png]
Twit | DA | G+ | Last.fm
23/09/2011 08:08 PM
St0rMaGe
The Forbidden One
Fractal Insanity

Threads: 104
E-Pigs: 62.6909
i like to give this a try....

I want to know why am i always dreaming that I'm falling into an endless hole....
23/09/2011 10:15 PM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
Very interesting. Dream capture interests me.
24/09/2011 04:24 AM
Barcelona
Too Young To Care

Threads: 88
E-Pigs: 60.4042
(23/09/2011 10:15 PM)St0rMaGe Wrote:  i like to give this a try....

I want to know why am i always dreaming that I'm falling into an endless hole....

Just read up on some froid

[Image: A73TX.png]
Quotes That Made Me Lol
Joomla12 Wrote:Who are you?
(02/08/2011 08:26 AM)eKusoshisut0 Wrote:  ┻┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻┻
Previous Signatures
First Signature Wrote:Rep me up or I'll GENTLY CARESS you in the booty!
Second Signature Wrote:Studies have shown that for everyone person that doesn't rep me up, an angel gets a hernea.
Third Signature Wrote:Dead Trademark91 killed me.
Fourth Signature Wrote:Windows Proud
Fifth Signature Wrote:I'm waiting for someone to chime in with an arrow. Any tamed wolves you can be traced back to my forum signature.
Sixth Signature Wrote:[Image: 7hjyW.png]
24/09/2011 07:15 AM
cboushell
Able One

Threads: 1
E-Pigs: 3.7310
(24/09/2011 07:15 AM)Barcelona Wrote:  

Just read up on some froid

It isn't "froid" it is "Freud"  as in Sigmund Freud.  This is INCREDIBLE technology, with this just being the start of this tech, I can't imagine where it will go and how fast it will get there.  I'd volunteer as a test subject for this in a second! I'd love to have the visions experienced while sleeping recorded, I'd also like to see how this could be used to record the visions experienced while under the influence of hallucinogenic chemicals, that would open up a huge door that could lead to untold and unimaginable places.  Those of us that have stepped through those doors, especially with the chemicals present in nature know what I am talking about.  The plants that contain these chemicals are definitely trying to speak to us.
24/09/2011 10:03 AM
trademark91
Unique?
Fractal Insanity

Threads: 269
E-Pigs: 105.8691
i bet this would make awesome movies. You could just imagine them onto film!

[Image: 531115][Image: 76561198014212040.png]
windows Proud
(This post was last modified: 25/09/2011 12:27 AM by trademark91.)
24/09/2011 10:28 AM
Shady
Sometimes when poo, I hungry

Threads: 472
E-Pigs: 508.0987
Sorry eku, I 'borrowed' this and posted it on my G+

sounds like you're dreaming of the void.

(09/06/2011 06:25 AM)S7* Wrote:  Spambots are strange, mysterious creatures.
24/09/2011 03:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply