Windows 8 OEM specs may block Linux booting
Microsoft, enemy of your freedom
eKusoshisut0
NOIDED

Threads: 102
E-Pigs: 174.7326
Windows 8 OEM specs may block Linux booting
Quote:After years of trying to cut off Linux growth as a desktop platform on x86 and x64 PCs, Microsoft may have actually figured out a way to stop Linux deployments on client PCs dead in their tracks.

At the very least, Linux deployment will be hindered on any Windows 8-certified machines to come, as new requirements for the Windows 8 logo come to light.

Red Hat's Matthew Garrett was one of the first to notice that according to the new logo rules, all Windows 8 machines will need to be have the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) instead of the venerable BIOS firmware layer. BIOS has been pretty much the sole firmware interface for PCs for a long time.

The EFI system has slowly been making headway in recent years, and right now EFI firmware is compatible with Windows supporting the GUID Partition Table (GPT), OS X/Intel, and Linux 2.6 and beyond machines. EFI is seen as a better hardware/software interface than BIOS, since it is platform-agnostic, runs in 32- or 64-bit mode, and GPT machines can handle boot partitions of up to 9.4 zettabytes. (That's 9.5 billion terabytes to you and me.)

EFI, and the later UEFI specification, is not the problem for Linux. The problem is Microsoft's other requirement for any Windows 8-certified client: the system must support secure booting. This hardened boot means that "all firmware and software in the boot process must be signed by a trusted Certificate Authority (CA)," according to slides from a recent presentation on the UEFI boot process made by Arie van der Hoeven, Microsoft Principal Lead Program Manager.

The slides, posted on Garrett's in a blog Tuesday afternoon, reveal Microsoft's plan to lock down the boot process, which Microsoft rightly points out has become a high-value target vector for injecting malware onto Windows PCs. To combat this, Microsoft is requiring all Windows 8 devices to have a hardened boot. Right now, even though there are EFI-ready Linux bootloaders and distros available, none of them are signed, Garrett reminded me.

It's not just a matter of replacing the UEFI system on the device with other, unencrypted, firmware. If all parts of the chain need to have a CA signature, then swapping out a machine's signed EFI layer with, say, an unsigned BIOS or EFI would not work. Garrett described the problem in more detail:

"Microsoft requires that machines conforming to the Windows 8 logo program and running a client version of Windows 8 ship with secure boot enabled. The two alternatives here are for Windows to be signed with a Microsoft key and for the public part of that key to be included with all systems, or alternatively for each OEM to include their own key and sign the pre-installed versions of Windows. The second approach would make it impossible to run boxed copies of Windows on Windows logo hardware, and also impossible to install new versions of Windows unless your OEM provided a new signed copy. The former seems more likely."

The upshot? Any device that ships with the manufacturer's keys and Microsoft's keys will not be able to boot a vanilla version of Linux.

The obvious solution--getting Linux distros signed so they can load on these machines--is clouded with uncertainty.

"Firstly, wee'd need a non-GPL bootloader. Grub 2 is released under the GPLv3, which explicitly requires that wee provide the signing keys. Grub is under GPLv2 which lacks the explicit requirement for keys, but it could be argued that the requirement for the scripts used to control compilation includes that. It's a grey area, and exploiting it would be a pretty good show of bad faith. Secondly, in the near future the design of the kernel will mean that the kernel itself is part of the bootloader. This means that kernels will also have to be signed. Making it impossible for users or developers to build their own kernels is not practical. Finally, if wee self-sign, it's still necessary to get our keys included by ever OEM."

That's a whole lot of unsavory options to look forward to.

Garrett, for his part, is not panicking about the new requirement. He's hopeful that OEMs will be able to include an option in their UEFI firmware to disable the secure booting feature. Even if that is allowed by Microsoft, one thing is clear: dual-booting systems will be out of the picture if Windows 8 boots always require a hardened boot environment. It may very well be that once you turn off secure boot (if you can), you won't be able to run Windows 8 again on that machine, until you re-secure the boot process.

Microsoft is spinning this as a way to finally lock down the boot process, but I can't help but wonder if the side-benefit of blocking Linux boots was something expected as well.

Something to which wee need to pay attention, that's for sure.

SOURCE

[Image: tumblr_mlae69vAW21rmerh9o1_400.gif]

More stuff
Steam Page
[Image: K7UVN.png]
Thanks to Vacui_Natale for making this awesome siggy.
[Image: cq8au.gif]
Thanks to Natalie for this sexy Mawaru Penguindrum sig. <3
[Image: ofusT.png][

[Image: 9252_s.gif]

(This post was last modified: 20/09/2011 09:26 PM by eKusoshisut0.)
20/09/2011 09:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Syfe
Blackened Rose Hero.

Threads: 77
E-Pigs: 54.0003
RE: Windows 8 OEM specs may block Linux booting
Its official new computers are going to be lame city

Rip Signature.
[Image: sig.gif]
20/09/2011 09:29 PM
lembas
yuri princess

Threads: 184
E-Pigs: 154.3525
I am boycotting Microsoft. Never again will those fudgeing bastards get a single cent of my money.

I'm gay.
Spoiler for online game stuff:
[Image: 76561198003967361.png]
[Image: thelemmingbas.png]
3DS FC: 4184-1632-9353
Spoiler:
[Image: wQZsI.jpg]
Spoiler:
In the words of the wise trademark91:
windows Proud
20/09/2011 09:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
Being a bit critical, I'm not sure if the aim really is to block out Linux.
As the number of people using Linux on the desktop is still practically irrelevant for MS to care, I probably do buy their point about it helping to keep malware from getting a stronghold on the system.
On the other hand, they're locking down Metro too.

Hopefully mobo manufactures will be smart enough to allow signed booting to be disabled.
(This post was last modified: 20/09/2011 09:43 PM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
20/09/2011 09:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
trademark91
Unique?
Fractal Insanity

Threads: 269
E-Pigs: 105.8691
(20/09/2011 09:29 PM)lembas Wrote:  I am boycotting Microsoft. Never again will those fudgeing bastards get a single cent of my money.

This. FUCK Microsoft. I prefer Apple to Microsoft now.

[Image: 531115][Image: 76561198014212040.png]
windows Proud
(This post was last modified: 21/09/2011 09:48 AM by trademark91.)
20/09/2011 10:54 PM
Cirehpsa
Let's finger this out.
Fractal Insanity

Threads: 63
E-Pigs: 724.9902
Highly doubt it's going to be that much of a problem. : |

[Image: VCvmsjM.gif][Image: DecdMVG.gif][Image: glI7KKK.gif][Image: OJilHSf.gif]
20/09/2011 11:02 PM
Silvertie
Older, less cringe, still mad.
Fractal Insanity

Threads: 32
E-Pigs: 32.7022
(20/09/2011 10:54 PM)trademark91 Wrote:  FUCK Microsoft. I prefer Apple ro Microsoft now.

Whoa, whoa, now; let's not be hasty. Some things can't be unsaid.

"Books! I've read several on the subject!"
[Image: khadorsigfinal.jpg]
Silvertie: The Blog | A Door In Nowhere: The Webcomic
21/09/2011 12:55 AM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
(20/09/2011 09:43 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Hopefully mobo manufactures will be smart enough to allow signed booting to be disabled.

This. I'm not too worried about it to be honest - but so long as dual-booting isn't possible I won't move on to 8.

Don't like that kind of lockdown.

Honestly, a bit surprised that they are requiring EFI as the article suggests. What of older hardware?
21/09/2011 01:43 AM
DSpider
Paradigmatic Entity

Threads: 3
E-Pigs: 13.5048
Why not have the keys locally embedded within the hardware itself, unique to each mobo, automatically generated upon first boot? "Secure" booting could also be enabled/disabled with a single key press during the startup proces. Perhaps even at hardware level, with a button.

Hmm, but lets not forget, most software works and will probably keep working on Windows XP for a long time to come. VirtualBox for the win. Games on the other hand...

Edit: ...will keep working with Windows 7.

(This post was last modified: 21/09/2011 04:20 AM by DSpider.)
21/09/2011 04:10 AM
Barcelona
Too Young To Care

Threads: 88
E-Pigs: 60.4042
This is bullchocolate, what gives microsoft the right to lockdown our computers!!? its not an xbox, so they have no buissines with it, fudge you microsoft, im gonna enjoy seeing your new dip in sales!

[Image: A73TX.png]
Quotes That Made Me Lol
Joomla12 Wrote:Who are you?
(02/08/2011 08:26 AM)eKusoshisut0 Wrote:  ┻┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻┻
Previous Signatures
First Signature Wrote:Rep me up or I'll GENTLY CARESS you in the booty!
Second Signature Wrote:Studies have shown that for everyone person that doesn't rep me up, an angel gets a hernea.
Third Signature Wrote:Dead Trademark91 killed me.
Fourth Signature Wrote:Windows Proud
Fifth Signature Wrote:I'm waiting for someone to chime in with an arrow. Any tamed wolves you can be traced back to my forum signature.
Sixth Signature Wrote:[Image: 7hjyW.png]
21/09/2011 04:25 AM