How To: Update to PS3 Firmware 3.21 and Keep Other OS Support
Mr. Shizzy
ɯɹ˙ sɥızzʎ

Threads: 415
E-Pigs: 160.1496
How To: Update to PS3 Firmware 3.21 and Keep Other OS Support
SONY have once again infuriated PS3 owners around the world today.
They have released a new firmware update that adds zero new features, but only removes the Other OS feature from Phat Model PS3 units.

Why release a update that has less features you ask?
Apparently SONY was concerned about the security of their console after famed hacker Geo Hot found and released an exploit for Other OS.

Hotz posted this on his blog:
Quote:First off, I want to apologize to all the people who use Linux on their PS3. Before releasing, I weighed the pros and cons, and considered the possibility of an impact on OtherOS support. My logic was this. OtherOS support had already been removed from the Slim(not for technical reasons; I believe it only existed in the first place to promote the Cell for IBM) The builders had apparently no intention of including it in future products. So for the purposes of openness why not release? Not like anything else has(or probably will be) done on the PS3.

Now you go and remove a feature that people expected to be included with the expensive device they purchased, citing "security concerns". What security concerns? It's not like the exploit can be run even close to without the users knowledge. You have to open the fudgeing thing up. How could this harm users? Your blog post doesn't list positive reasons for upgrading like I think most users expect. Instead it lists things you will lose if you don't upgrade. Seriously?

The PlayStation 3 is the only product I know that loses features throughout it's life cycle. Software PS2 emulation, SACD playback, and OtherOS support are all just software switches you can flip. It's unbelievable you would go and flip one, not just on new boxes you are shipping, but on tens of millions already in the field.

Again I'm sorry users. Sony, I expected more from you.

OK, so firmware 3.21 is live. Here is how to update without losing Other OS support:
- On your PS3, sign out of PSN
- Download and install PS3.ProxyServer.GUI here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ywnmy1wykzi
- It doesn't create shortcuts so navigate to C:\Program Files\CF3B5\PS3.ProxyServer and run PS3.ProxyServer.GUI.exe
- Type your current LOCAL IP ADDRESS (probably 192.168.*.*), you can leave the port as 8080, check PS3 Mode
- Whatever port you use must be open on your router, so if 8080 is blocked, open it now
- Go to the Replace Files tab and click Add
- In the left box, paste this address: http://fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net/...st/us/ps3- updatelist.txt
- In the right box, click browse and find your LOCAL COPY of the 3.15 ps3-updatelist.txt file, download from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?dyjldy24yod
- Back to the Proxy Settings tab, click Start
- From your PS3's XMB, go to Settings, Network Settings, then Internet Connection Settings
- Keep everything the way you have it configured now except for the Proxy Server option, make sure you click Use
- Type the IP address and port number to your local computer (from step 4 above)
- Finish configuring, test connection, make sure it connects
- That's it. If the connection test works, you can now sign into PSN with 3.15 and bypass the 3.21 firmware check
- Note that you must keep PS3.ProxyServer.GUI running when you want to use your PS3 until wee get CFW

So there it is. A lot of people didn't believe that SONY would remove the Other OS feature.
But unfortunately, it turns out that this is no April Fool's joke people. So if you want to keep other OS, you will need to update using the above method...

PSP 2001 [TA-088v2]: 6.39 ME-9.7
[Image: 4kly6c1.gif]
Sig by Mr_Nick666
(This post was last modified: 01/04/2010 05:44 AM by Mr. Shizzy.)
01/04/2010 05:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vegetano1
$urf

Threads: 397
E-Pigs: 2756.6280
RE: How To: Update to PS3 Firmware 3.21 and Keep Other OS Support
nice!! but i have a slim so i updated,. ;p

anyway sony is downgrading a console,. its like "hey here is a new reiver but the new firmware will render connecting a cd player imposible" or something like that,..

can sony really do this? ok they already did but is it legal?

thanks anita!!

Make loads of $$!! it wurks!!
[Image: csbanner_anim_03.gif]
Signed Homebrew by bsanehi & OMightyBuggy
http://endlessparadigm.com/forum/showthr...?tid=25707
Spoiler for My miniBlog:
(This post was last modified: 01/04/2010 06:42 AM by Vegetano1.)
01/04/2010 06:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gadget
ɯƃıpɐɹɐd ssǝןpuǝ

Threads: 69
E-Pigs: 63.3012
I have a phat & want to keep my other OS, SO I will be trying this out later today or tomorrow. Thanks for the news | guide!!

PSN: Brick_Factory

Spoiler for sigpic:
[Image: 157nb04.png]
Spoiler for NeCr0-B0T:
Necro-Bot
Necro may refer to:
    * necro-, the Greek prefix meaning death
Bot or BOT or similar may refer to:
    * Internet bot, computer program which does automated tasks
    * Botnet, network of "zombie" computers used to carry out automated tasks such as spamming
01/04/2010 07:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nintendoeats
Neophitic Presence

Threads: 0
E-Pigs: 0.5237
So, if I understand correctly, this masks the PS3 as a 3.21 machine?

neato.
01/04/2010 01:08 PM
Mr. Shizzy
ɯɹ˙ sɥızzʎ

Threads: 415
E-Pigs: 160.1496
(01/04/2010 01:08 PM)nintendoeats Wrote:  So, if I understand correctly, this masks the PS3 as a 3.21 machine?

neato.

Exactly.  I'll have to change the thread title to be more accurate...
This method is much easier however:
http://endlessparadigm.com/forum/showthr...?tid=22991     ;)

PSP 2001 [TA-088v2]: 6.39 ME-9.7
[Image: 4kly6c1.gif]
Sig by Mr_Nick666
01/04/2010 03:49 PM
sizzlephizzle
Existential Entity

E-Pigs: 1.0609
Tried this : Failed. (and the alternate/easy version....and a combination of the two(Proxy and DNS))

Obtaining IP address : Successful
Internet Connection : Successful
bottom reads "A system update is available"

DAMNIT!
02/04/2010 02:20 PM
sizzlephizzle
Existential Entity

PS:
http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/index.html

Quote "To use the Linux operating system, you must update the PS3™ system software to version 1.60 or later."
Can wee sue them for this? haha
02/04/2010 02:49 PM
Punk777E
Bowchikawowow

Threads: 10
E-Pigs: 3.0796
Okay, I Upgraded my phat which took me several hours to do cause I use this feature and the only thing that came out of it was some MEDIA SERVER thing. I don't even use that feature I have 500GB of HDD so everything I need is on my PS3 not a Server. It something about Copyrighted Material can now be played if a certain thing is enabled. Still Sony could have taken another approach even if Geo Hot didn't have much intention on ruining anything. Taking out a feature is not an update especially one that deserves to boost the number up by .11, deserves a .01 at most.

@Vegatano1
See next post.

[Image: 218ohu.jpg]
If you want to save the penguins clix here

Spoiler:
Whit3f4ng Wrote:I got 8 inches yesterday and another 5 today.
Punk777E Wrote:xDDDDDDDD
(This post was last modified: 02/04/2010 03:46 PM by Punk777E.)
02/04/2010 03:35 PM
Punk777E
Bowchikawowow

Threads: 10
E-Pigs: 3.0796

Jaecyn42 Wrote:Hello all,

I noticed there was some consternation on this topic, so I thought I'd toss my hat in the ring.  I apologize for creating yet another thread on the subject, but the others had grown trollish enough in tone and tenor that I felt a new one was merited.

First and foremost, let me fully qualify my opinion on the matter:

I'm not a PS3 user (in fact, I own a 360), so this change does not personally effect me.  I actually created this account for the sole purpose of discussing this issue.

I am, however, a Law Student and an ardent suporter of Consumer Rights (especially in the tech industry), FOSS, net neutrality and that ilk. As such, I have a very strong personal interest in the matter.

That being said, after examining the relevant web content on Sony's website, as well as the FTC's website, I can say with a degree of certainty that the proposed Firmware update WOULD, in fact, violate US Consumer Protection Laws.

My sources:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/guides/baitads-gd.htm

The case is quite simple.

The FTC defines "advertisement" as "any form of public notice however disseminated or utilized."  In this case, the second Sony owned and maintained website, detailing how to install an alternate OS on a PS3.  In a legal sense, Other OS is an advertisement feature of the applicable models of the Sony PS3.

As such, Sony is legally obligated to honor that advertisement.  Should they disable Other OS with the oncoming Firmware update, they would be committing an ex post facto "Bait and Switch", according to US Consumer Protection Laws.

This being said, I highly encourage all PS3 users who feel jilted by this change to stick to your guns.  Post in the forums, call their customer service hotline and, should the need arise, find a Class Action suit to join.  Despite what the detractors may say, the law IS, in fact, on your side.

Peace, Love and Empathy,

Jaecyn42

EDIT:

I decided to add this information to the original post, as it may get lost in the body of the thread.

The FTC's online complaint form:
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

The Canadian Office of Consumer Affairs' Cosumer Handbook:
http://www.I see.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc.nsf/eng/h_ca02349.html

So apparently it isn't legal since the advertisement is still in affect, (the link is on sizzlephizzle's post.) so therefore the advertisement is advertising a false program. Also it was advertised on the boxes of some models.

Source

[Image: 218ohu.jpg]
If you want to save the penguins clix here

Spoiler:
Whit3f4ng Wrote:I got 8 inches yesterday and another 5 today.
Punk777E Wrote:xDDDDDDDD
(This post was last modified: 02/04/2010 03:54 PM by Punk777E.)
02/04/2010 03:44 PM
sizzlephizzle
Existential Entity

Good to have the law (and you) on our side.

My major issue here is my 60gb ps3 is a launch model that i purchased from a friend who moved to Xbox. I have no warrenty/receipt or anything. Therefore, i may as well do any backdoor install to get round this patch to keep the "Other OS" feature as i cannot complain to them about a machine i cannot prove i own. (well, except possesion being nine tenths n all that).

(Oh and the FTC etc is US based and I'm in the UK. If you all fight for it to be fixed, they may pay attention to little old England)
(This post was last modified: 02/04/2010 03:54 PM by sizzlephizzle.)
02/04/2010 03:53 PM