EA plans to charge for game demos
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
RE: EA plans to charge for game demos
Assassinator Wrote:
Senseito7 Wrote:
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:The fact that so many people want the latest stuff though, indicates majority thought isn't completely "rational".

I don't think its a majority. I mean there are only so many people to download demos today.. they will chop off anyone who downloads the demo based simply on the fact its "Free".

They are going to have to do the Digital Download version of, for example, Gran Turismo Prologue. And GT5 is destined to be a massive game.

Lets see of EA have enough game in the games so they can make the Demos seem worthwhile.. otherwise a lot of people are going to be feeling ripped off..

[let alone going into the PC gaming arenas DRM again (I doubt they will bring pay-demos to the PC)]

He didn't just mean those buying demos.  He means everyone wanting to be the first to get the latest stuff.  So that includes you buying FFIII in the first few days of release.

So? I was willing to pay the premium to get the limited Collectors version for the Soundtrack, artwork cards and book that came with it - I wouldn't be able to get it if I waited. -_-

I was going to get Heavy Rain on Pre-Order... but I knew it'd be better to wait for reviews. They came out and I decided I couldn't be bothered.

I don't fancy trying to enforce my opinion on what the people of the Gaming market are like... I don't play games an awful lot - I just wanted to make the point that EA are risking the players who buy off what they play in the free demos. Players will play the free demos offered by other companies.. and they may be EA competitors.

I think they would rather go play Online or download more content for a game they own than for a taster that won't last long (like you mentioned earlier).
Just watching a gameplay video of it on YouTube should be enough.
23/03/2010 04:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Assassinator

Threads: 176
E-Pigs: 140.8363
Senseito7 Wrote:
Assassinator Wrote:
Senseito7 Wrote:
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:The fact that so many people want the latest stuff though, indicates majority thought isn't completely "rational".

I don't think its a majority. I mean there are only so many people to download demos today.. they will chop off anyone who downloads the demo based simply on the fact its "Free".

He didn't just mean those buying demos.  He means everyone wanting to be the first to get the latest stuff.  So that includes you buying FFIII in the first few days of release.

So?

So you don't get it.    (Hint: Read through the bolded bits).

ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:If everyone thought logically, no-one would really want to be among the first to try out something.  The fact that so many people want the latest stuff though, indicates majority thought isn't completely "rational".

Want an explaination of Zinga's "irrational"?

Lets assume you get X amount of enjoyment out of playing a good game, and Y<X amount from playing a bad game.  

1) Buy on release.  You spend $A and gain either X or Y amount of entertainment depending on if the game is good or not.  Average it, and you get Pr(X).X+Pr(Y).Y < X.

2) Buy afterwards.  You spend $B<A amount and derive X amount of entertainment.  If the game is bad, you do not buy.

Cost                Expected Return (Average Enjoyment)
Option 1            higher                        lower
Option 2            lower                         higher

gg. no competition.

tl;dr - The virtue of patience rewards you with both a cheaper price, AND a safer pick.  Same logic for other things (eg. it is irrational to keep up with anime).
(This post was last modified: 23/03/2010 05:03 AM by Assassinator.)
23/03/2010 04:59 AM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
Assassinator Wrote:tl;dr - The virtue of patience rewards you with both a cheaper price, AND a safer pick.  Same logic for other things (eg. it is irrational to keep up with anime).

Senseito7 Wrote:
Assassinator Wrote:He didn't just mean those buying demos.  He means everyone wanting to be the first to get the latest stuff.  So that includes you buying FFIII in the first few days of release.

So? I was willing to pay the premium to get the limited Collectors version for the Soundtrack, artwork cards and book that came with it - I wouldn't be able to get it if I waited. -_-

Explanation? The only other games I own for PS3 are Tekken 6, Uncharted 2, Valkyria Chronicles and LittleBigPlanet. I got the console for Christmas. Note the game release dates.

Sorry, were you even directing your comments at me? I wasn't enforcing a value to irrationally getting things first at any point. -__- [Also, I assumed wee were staying on topic..]
(This post was last modified: 23/03/2010 05:08 AM by S7*.)
23/03/2010 05:04 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
Lawl @ discussion.

/leaves thread.
23/03/2010 05:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Assassinator

Threads: 176
E-Pigs: 140.8363
Senseito7 Wrote:Explanation?

Basically if that's rational or not will depend on the utility you place in these extra accessories vs the extra cost, then you need to factor in the other stuff from before too.  But yes, wee are going off topic.

Senseito7 Wrote:[Also, I assumed wee were staying on topic..]

Back on topic...

I don't think it's a good idea.
(This post was last modified: 23/03/2010 05:22 AM by Assassinator.)
23/03/2010 05:20 AM
Kana
♥pudding,pudding♥

Threads: 356
E-Pigs: 98.8066
i refuse. DLC and Collector editions is gonna be the only extra chocolates I'm buying for any game. not even OST. not even figures,
(that said, I'll kill for a dead space helmet.)

[Image: snow-1.png][Image: snow-2.png][Image: Untitled-14.png]
23/03/2010 06:03 AM
Cyonix
I'm No Longer Here...

Threads: 270
E-Pigs: 43.9829
they want you to pay for a demo???  Why would I pay for an INCOMPLETE game?

This is just as bad as game$top's Monster Hunter 3 demo scam (forcing customers to pre-order the game to receive a demo that Capcom has said is 100% free just so game$top makes a profit)
23/03/2010 08:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1-R
forced consensual sex
Team DreamArts

Threads: 396
E-Pigs: 115.1024
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:
Senseito7 Wrote:Well the biggest plus is that a new game is just that, a new game.. so you're paying for the premium to play the complete game earlier rather than later.

And in that respect - paying for Demos will work with the portion of the market desperate to play everything first.. but a lot of people would rather save their money for Downloadable Content for games they already own.. as well as PSOne Classics.
Depends on your interpretation of the market.  I've seen people go to great lengths to try to always be the first to get something or do something.
Usually these people will be fanatics of the game, and are usually good guinea pig subjects (actually, anyone who buys stuff early is usually a good guinea pig), so will usually give good feedback too, as well as spread their love for the game.
Besides, it's well known in the tech industry that anything new has absurd premiums attached.  In this case, you're just paying less for a lesser product.

Namco BandaiEveryone does it on occasions. Boogs

@discussion: consumers for the win!! Haha suckers!!Yay

* 1-R runs fasteeerr!!

[Image: OLmvS.png]
Twit | DA | G+ | Last.fm
(This post was last modified: 23/03/2010 08:42 AM by 1-R.)
23/03/2010 08:33 AM
eKusoshisut0
NOIDED

Threads: 102
E-Pigs: 174.7326
If they charge for demos I am not buying...geez....might as well save that money and buy the full game plus  Downloadable Content. Dotdotdot

[Image: tumblr_mlae69vAW21rmerh9o1_400.gif]

More stuff
Steam Page
[Image: K7UVN.png]
Thanks to Vacui_Natale for making this awesome siggy.
[Image: cq8au.gif]
Thanks to Natalie for this sexy Mawaru Penguindrum sig. <3
[Image: ofusT.png][

[Image: 9252_s.gif]

(This post was last modified: 23/03/2010 09:10 AM by eKusoshisut0.)
23/03/2010 09:10 AM
zefie
Paradigmatic Apprentice

Threads: 0
E-Pigs: 2.4550
No thanks. Even if it is a long demo for $15, I have to pay full retail for something I already played 10-20% of? I think an upgrade price should be implemented.

23/03/2010 11:24 AM