Draconian Anti-Piracy Law Signed
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
Draconian Anti-Piracy Law Signed
If you live in the US, it might be time to consider your position; because with the combination of this Law, and DRM that is being enforced in areas of the market... your freedom is being ever-lessened.

I recommend you read this through, but I added the main points below.

Oh, yeah, Bush penned it, what a surprise.,

Quote:Over in California, champagne corks are popping. In the offices of the MPAA and RIAA, lawyers turned lobbyists are dancing jigs. In houses all around the US however, people are left dumbfounded by the passage of a bill based on appeasement to big money, at a time when the country is in economic turmoil.

The Prioritizing Resources and Organization for Intellectual Property Act of 2008, or PRO IP Act, finally gathered the signature of President George W. Bush, and made it into law. The act, as wee previously reported, has been criticized by both the US Departments of Justice (DOJ) and Commerce (DOC), but gathered support in the wake of economic troubles that have hit the US.

Title I of the bill, which allowed the DOJ to pursue civil copyright cases, was dropped by the senate when they passed the bill, with Richard Esguerra, spokesman for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, noting that he was relieved that attorneys won’t become “pro bono personal lawyers for the content industry.” However, the objections of the DOC - that the creation of a ‘Copyright Czar’ would be an unconstitutional violation of Separation of Powers - went unopposed. Included in the bill is the issue of ‘civil forfeiture’, where articles can be seized and held if it is thought they are to be used in committing a crime, or infringement.

The unanimous passage of this bill is worrying, mainly because it shows a triumph for lobbying over facts, and how common sense can be easily overruled with enough money and influence. Claims that support the bill include spurious job creations from this bill, to money saved in the economy. “Counterfeiting and piracy costs the United States nearly $250 billion annually,” says the US Chamber of Commerce in a Reuters article, while others have more effectively broken down the figures and pointed out how they don’t make sense.

Yet, in a country on the brink of economic meltdown, a bill that is claimed to help the economy by creating jobs (and boost the economy by reducing those jobs and revenue claimed to be lost) seems like a good political move, regardless of how absurd and baseless the figures are. Dan Glickman of the MPAA certainly wants to play the economic card, saying: “At this critical time for our economy, it’s important to send a message that the jobs created and maintained by the protection of intellectual property is a national priority.”

The person filling this Copyright Czar role will, presumably, be in a similar position to that of the Drugs Czar, and will listen mainly to lobbyists and ’safe’ peer pressure. Just as in the case of narcotics, symptoms will be dealt with, and not causes. Targeting causes means targeting contributors, while targeting symptoms just means targeting voters, and there are millions of them. It also remains to be seen who will be given the role of Copyright Czar, but don’t be surprised if it’s a member of the MPAA/RIAA, although some might start pushing for Prof. Lessig, as happened when California’s 12th District lost its congressman. However, Prof. Lessig told TorrentFreak that he’s “not going to be an enforcement czar, and nor would I be wanted for that.”

Perhaps the worst aspect of the bill, though, is the extension of forfeiture. Already used extensively in drugs cases, it is often inappropriately applied. If drugs are found in someone’s home, and along with that comes a claim from a 3rd party (even if they were caught breaking into the home) that they were dealing, the home owner can have their house taken away, along with anything of value in it.

Although some may feel that forfeiture is an appropriate response to serious large scale drug dealing, those same draconian measures can now apply to copyright infringement cases. It can cause more expense and difficulty in defending cases when defendants have to prove in a separate court action, that the materials seized were not used for the actions claimed. Wikipedia indicates that 3 years, and $10,000 is the typical cost of fighting such cases. Public Knowledge opposes these forfeiture measures, with spokesman Art Brodsky saying: “Let’s suppose that there’s one computer in the house, and one person uses it for downloads and one for homework. The whole computer goes.”

The increase in powers and fines exacerbates an already bad situation. With the forfeiture laws, in theory they may be able to have equipment belonging to ISP’s seized (while the DMCA gives safe harbor for prosecution under infringement, it may not allow a defense under forfeiture) and that could be used as a club to beat ISPs into the role of copyright police – one that ISPs worldwide have been loathed to accept.

With the election just weeks away, perhaps our American readers might be interested in tracking who voted for the bill, as all representatives are up for election. Senate voting was not recorded.

Source: http://feed.torrentfreak.com/~r/Torrentf...420454420/

- Copyright Infringement will be dealt in a similar manner to drugs.

- "The person filling this Copyright Czar role will, presumably, be in a similar position to that of the Drugs Czar, and will listen mainly to lobbyists and ’safe’ peer pressure. "

- The unanimous passage of this bill is worrying, mainly because it shows a triumph for lobbying over facts, and how common sense can be easily overruled with enough money and influence.

- Claims that support the bill include spurious job creations from this bill, to money saved in the economy. “Counterfeiting and piracy costs the United States nearly $250 billion annually,” says the US Chamber of Commerce in a Reuters article, while others have more effectively broken down the figures and pointed out how they don’t make sense.

- “Let’s suppose that there’s one computer in the house, and one person uses it for downloads and one for homework. The whole computer goes.”
(This post was last modified: 14/10/2008 05:58 AM by S7*.)
14/10/2008 05:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
boogschd
boogyman
Worlds End

Threads: 90
E-Pigs: 43.6852
RE: Draconian Anti-Piracy Law Signed
Senseito Sakura Wrote: - Copyright Infringement will be dealt in a similar manner to drugs.

- Claims that support the bill include spurious job creations from this bill, to money saved in the economy. “Counterfeiting and piracy costs the United States nearly $250 billion annually,” says the US Chamber of Commerce in a Reuters article, while others have more effectively broken down the figures and pointed out how they don’t make sense.

wow ... isn't that a bit overkill for piracy ??

........... i think bush is blaming counterfeiting for the stock market thingy :D
(This post was last modified: 14/10/2008 06:11 AM by boogschd.)
14/10/2008 06:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
S7*
Sweet Dreams

boogschd Wrote:wow ... isn't that a bit overkill for piracy ??

........... i think bush is blaming counterfeiting for the stock market thingy :D

Well theres no way they are blaming themselves.
14/10/2008 06:12 AM
boogschd
boogyman
Worlds End

Threads: 90
E-Pigs: 43.6852
Senseito Sakura Wrote:

-tards
14/10/2008 06:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tetris999

Threads: 298
E-Pigs: 82.5657
Senseito Sakura Wrote:

exactly

and oh 5HIT to this.....

i hope to hell this doesn't come to Canada.....
(This post was last modified: 14/10/2008 06:16 AM by Tetris999.)
14/10/2008 06:14 AM
Vegetano1
$urf

Threads: 397
E-Pigs: 2756.6280
This is how it is,. and the poo poo above(Draconian Anti-Piracy Law Signed) is't how it's suposed to be,. no,. its how they will make more money,.. sadly,.. this is frightening and you know it is if Bush signed it,. ;p

Make loads of $$!! it wurks!!
[Image: csbanner_anim_03.gif]
Signed Homebrew by bsanehi & OMightyBuggy
http://endlessparadigm.com/forum/showthr...?tid=25707
Spoiler for My miniBlog:
14/10/2008 06:26 AM
Jomann
Chibi :3

Threads: 103
E-Pigs: 25.8968
Ill be alright if i download anime though right, if its only licenced in japan? or are they gonna go freakin crazy about it. I think its about time for me to move outta america already, theres no way Im going to risk this spoon, ill go move to africa or something xD (not really)

So if someone were to continue, how would one  protect themself?

lol risk spoon

[Image: Endless_paradigm_01.png]
(This post was last modified: 14/10/2008 06:28 AM by Jomann.)
14/10/2008 06:27 AM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Jomann Wrote:Ill be alright if i download anime though right, if its only licenced in japan? or are they gonna go freakin crazy about it.

You are at much less risk compared to if you were downloading big US Produced movies... but if Japan are particularly angered over it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was like... er... the marijuana of piracy? [This is bloody rediculous *sigh*]

Jomann Wrote:I think its about time for me to move outta america already, theres no way Im going to risk this spoon, ill go move to africa or something xD (not really)

Europe For the win.. (kind of :P ... much more so than US for the moment, though)

Jomann Wrote:So if someone were to continue, how would one  protect themself?

........ tunneling through proxies? but still, that is risky too.. PeerGuardian will be an essential tool over the next few years... *sigh*
(This post was last modified: 14/10/2008 06:36 AM by S7*.)
14/10/2008 06:35 AM
Assassinator

Threads: 176
E-Pigs: 140.8363
Senseito Sakura Wrote:

........ tunneling through proxies? but still, that is risky too.. PeerGuardian will be an essential tool over the next few years... *sigh*

Won't work.

If they really want to get you, PeerGuardian isn't going to stop them.
14/10/2008 06:39 AM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Assassinator Wrote:
Senseito Sakura Wrote:

Won't work.

If they really want to get you, PeerGuardian isn't going to stop them.

I should have put it into better context...

Based on PeerGuardians main functionality... it would have to be one of a few things that would need to be done to download hiding - even then there is great risk..
14/10/2008 06:52 AM