Google Chrome Beta
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
RE: Google Chrome Beta
feinicks Wrote:
Senseito Sakura Wrote:It didn't take me long to close Chrome and load Firefox 3.

Chrome, actually, was a disappointment to me. It is indeed faster, DEFINITELY switching tabs, but it is not worth scarificing Firefox's flexibility and options in the backend.

Chromes Options dialog is useless, I can't do much at all in comparison to IE or Firefox.

Chrome will need good Plugin compatibility as well.

When running Shockwave.com and the Alaplaya sites simultaneously, the Alaplaya sites Flash Nav lagged considerably (I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz and 3GB RAM).

I liked out Flash worked out of the box and it imported my Firefox data quickly as well.

The Language Factor is terrible though - I had no idea how to use Chrome at first - obviously - and it was all in Spanish - I understood it but only after SkyDX helped me change Locale DLLs to make it English I manage to excavate to where the Language Dialog was (and yes I chose English on the Chrome Site, my comp is set to Spanish localization but it is still a bad flaw).

This should be the browser of choice for Schools, Internet Cafes, and those Netbooks - its clean, simple, runs fast and is intuitive - but I just don't find it satisfactory.

Like Zinga said, Multi-Process Browsing will probably be introduced in Firefox 4.

Mozilla Prism, new version of Gecko..... it'll be hard to take me away from Firefox, sorry, Google.

I really don't want to rate Chrome right now. I mean, this is the first Beta. However, its apparent that Google took a lot of Firefox, made a survey about the most popular features and plugin and had them inbuilt.

Everyone knows that Mozilla Firefox 4 is going to raise the standard to a new level. Especially if they integrate V8.. that is a really nice feature...

I'll use Chrome till i get sick of the ads, then back to FF3.

They shouldn't have to use V8 if they do a good job with the next Gecko.

Remember - Google products stay in Beta for months, even a year or two >_>

I haven't had Chrome crash, bleh.

One particular disappointment as well, was that they failed on one proper test - the Acid2 Test, it fails on it.
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:Just tried the beta.  Haven't tested it much, but first impression - it's got, like, no options...  You can't even disable images...

Hope the final will actually have some options...

^ Exactly.
03/09/2008 02:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
diego
poof

Threads: 264
E-Pigs: 37.4012
Senseito Sakura Wrote:the Acid2 Test, it fails on it.

http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/
That? It worked for me. Dunno what an acid2 test it though :)

[Image: cce6aa9e-c40c-4ae7-aebe-d7780d6fc009.gif]
03/09/2008 02:38 AM
Kuu
Awesome

Threads: 61
E-Pigs: 33.8125
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:Just tried the beta.  Haven't tested it much, but first impression - it's got, like, no options...  You can't even disable images...

You probably will never be able to disable images without a plugin- Chome is designed for the current internet world, meaning DSL connections, decent PC specs and good amount of storage.

It wasn't designed to work with something old like 56k dial-up Hihi

------------

At this moment it defiantly is a no frills, just open and browser browser. Setting applications is amazing though.

Also setting the default search engine for the omnibar is win.

I have it set to http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sho...db.search= Madwin

[Image: B5b0K][Image: FSN6.png]
(This post was last modified: 03/09/2008 02:49 AM by Kuu.)
03/09/2008 02:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Kuu Wrote:

You probably will never be able to disable images without a plugin- Chome is designed for the current internet world, meaning DSL connections, decent PC specs and good amount of storage.

It wasn't designed to work with something old like 56k diasl-up Hihi

Some people just don't want Images in their Cache, RAM or it being downloaded at all.

Disable Images should be there.
diego Wrote:
Senseito Sakura Wrote:the Acid2 Test, it fails on it.

http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/
That? It worked for me. Dunno what an acid2 test it though :)

It works, obviously, but it doesn't render properly, meaning it Failed the test.

Firefox 3, IE8 Beta, Opera and Safari 3 pass the Acid2 Test.
03/09/2008 02:48 AM
Kuu
Awesome

Senseito Sakura Wrote:
Kuu Wrote:

Some people just don't want Images in their Cache, RAM or it being downloaded at all.

Nah, that would be holding the internet back Hahaha If they want no images they should go back to 1995.

(This post was last modified: 03/09/2008 02:58 AM by Kuu.)
03/09/2008 02:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
diego
poof

Threads: 264
E-Pigs: 37.4012
Senseito Sakura Wrote:It works, obviously, but it doesn't render properly, meaning it Failed the test.

It looks the same as on my FF3.

[Image: cce6aa9e-c40c-4ae7-aebe-d7780d6fc009.gif]
03/09/2008 03:02 AM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

diego Wrote:
Senseito Sakura Wrote:It works, obviously, but it doesn't render properly, meaning it Failed the test.

It looks the same as on my FF3.

double you tee eff it render right this time :o

*suspicious*
03/09/2008 03:05 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
Kuu Wrote:
Senseito Sakura Wrote:
Kuu Wrote:

Nah, that would be holding the internet back Hahaha If they want no images they should go back to 1995.
I always browse with images disabled.  Would kill my connection if I enabled it.
Plus, you may have reasons to disable them on various sites...

It's not just images.  You have basically no options in configuring the toolbar (ditto the Home button), can't disable Javascript, basically no control over Flash/Java, uses IE's proxy settings (double you tee eff?)...
I used the full package from the link I gave earlier, and it seems you can't even select where to install it >_>

If Google's touting it as a browser for web enthusiasts, it really needs to look into providing options.

Apart from that, haven't really tried it, but from what I've heard, it's good.  Very interested to see how this browser develops.
(This post was last modified: 03/09/2008 03:08 AM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
03/09/2008 03:07 AM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:
Kuu Wrote:
Senseito Sakura Wrote:
Kuu Wrote:

I always browse with images disabled.  Would kill my connection if I enabled it.
Plus, you may have reasons to disable them on various sites...

It's not just images.  You have basically no options in configuring the toolbar (ditto the Home button), can't disable Javascript, basically no control over Flash/Java, uses IE's proxy settings (double you tee eff?)...
I used the full package from the link I gave earlier, and it seems you can't even select where to install it >_>

If Google's touting it as a browser for web enthusiasts, it really needs to look into providing options.

Apart from that, haven't really tried it, but from what I've heard, it's good.  Very interested to see how this browser develops.

It took me a while to get a Bookmarks Bar, I found I could only get it in a new tab then enable it from that browser window - lol. I like moi Bookmark Bar :3

As sour as this may be put... it IS good. As good as any other browser is. Its far, FAR from brilliant.
03/09/2008 03:22 AM
Kuu
Awesome

I'll post what I posted @ hacks:

Zero Wrote:I've found a way to do a temporary adblock fix that simply crashes the ad, but it's primitive, so if anything else uses flash, it will crash too, like YouTube.

[Image: 63248703fs6.th.jpg]

There are a few hick-ups right now. I suggest waiting for it to come out of Beta before using it full-time. The Beta does not support plug-ins atm.

(This post was last modified: 03/09/2008 03:26 AM by Kuu.)
03/09/2008 03:23 AM