Starcraft 2 7/27/10
Hellgiver
Team Ramrod

Threads: 230
E-Pigs: 57.9774
Starcraft 2 7/27/10
So who all is getting SC2 within a few days of its release? I'm going to a midnight release party and am going to be picking it up as soon as I can. After I've played a good amount of the campaign, I'll likely be looking for some people with which to have some friendly matches (vs ai, or vs each other). Tell me if you are planning to get SC2, and wee'll leave our battlenet names when wee get it.

by the way, careful if you are on youtube atm. Lots of SC2: WoL ending videos have been leaked. I hate to have a game spoiled :P

[Image: toocool.png]
<3 Diego!
25/07/2010 12:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lembas
yuri princess

Threads: 184
E-Pigs: 154.3525
RE: Starcraft 2 7/27/10
I would be getting it if 1) I wasn't poor, and 2) My computer could run it, lol.

I'm gay.
Spoiler for online game stuff:
[Image: 76561198003967361.png]
[Image: thelemmingbas.png]
3DS FC: 4184-1632-9353
Spoiler:
[Image: wQZsI.jpg]
Spoiler:
In the words of the wise trademark91:
windows Proud
25/07/2010 12:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grey Ghost
Still kicking!

Threads: 112
E-Pigs: 161.5986
im not getting it for both reason xitherun said, however my mate pre-ordered it yesterday. I do believe he is very happy.
25/07/2010 12:32 AM
Tetris999

Threads: 298
E-Pigs: 82.5657
I'm getting it, I'm spoiled with my current job :P

MY SIG IS FUCKING DEAD
25/07/2010 01:08 AM
Assassinator

Threads: 176
E-Pigs: 140.8363
I want it, but then again, I better not, since it's going to eat too much of my time.

Also, no LAN... RAGE!!!

I don't want to log onto goddamn internet and connect to fucking America across the pacific ocean just to play my brother 2 meters away from me.  Especially cause I'm like perma capped and it's going to lag so goddamn hard it'd probably be faster to be drawing pictures of zerglings on paper and passing them to him.
(This post was last modified: 25/07/2010 06:44 PM by Assassinator.)
25/07/2010 02:43 AM
Tetris999

Threads: 298
E-Pigs: 82.5657
(25/07/2010 02:43 AM)Assassinator Wrote:  I want it, but then again, I better not, since it's going to eat too much of my time.

Also, no LAN... RAGE!!!

I don't want to log onto goddamn internet and connect to fucking America just to play my brother 2 meters away from me.  Especially cause I'm like perma capped and it's going to lag so goddamn hard I'd probably be faster to be drawing pictures of zerglings on paper and passing them to him.

Well someone HAS to implement LAN, it's going to be a real popular game....

MY SIG IS FUCKING DEAD
(This post was last modified: 25/07/2010 01:43 PM by Tetris999.)
25/07/2010 05:24 AM
Hellgiver
Team Ramrod

Threads: 230
E-Pigs: 57.9774
Read this a few minutes ago. Dunno what to think atm, especially since this was the first I'd heard of it. It could be complete bunk, but
Quote:Activision-Blizzard outlawed private servers in CoD:MW2 and it proved to be the best move for maximizing their revenue.  Hard core players complained loudly, but the game sold well. Any kind of new content based on MW2's fantastic engine required the inclusion of Activision's servers.  Thus,  all new content had to be funnelled through Activision-Blizzard's money making machine.  They did a masterful job of creating new revenue streams with their surgical removal of previous features in the Call of Duty:Modern Warfare franchise. In an analogous maneuvre Activision-Blizzard went on a Public Relations  offensive stomping out the Starcraft2 LAN and somehow manipulating high profile Starcraft community  members to state that losing LAN was not that big a deal.  Make no mistake about it controlling and/or removing LAN is all about money.  Its all about protecting revenue streams and controlling the multiplayer environment in very strategic ways to create new revenue streams.  Activision-Blizzard feels triumphant in its carefully engineered reworking of Modern Warfare 2 and is now prepared to carry this same revenue capturing culture forward into the Starcraft universe.

Starcraft 2 LAN

Let's take a step back and examine why LAN is a contentious issue for reasons unrelated to piracy

Basic Starcraft2 Multiplayer Network Architecture
In SC1 two players can establish a peer to peer connection and play SC1 at extremely low latency levels across a LAN. Thus far, from all information I've hacked, slashed and gathered about SC2's internals this does not occur in the new game. Every 1v1 multiplayer game requires a connection between three `nodes`.  The two individual players and an "SC2 Server".  Each players' moves are sent to a central "Server".  This "Server" then communicates these moves to the opponent.  There is an ever present "middle layer" between each player. Obviously, peer to peer across a LAN provides lower latency than a three way connection across the internet.

Unit Micromanagement Changes Under Lower Latencies
In Starcraft1 LAN and WEB Latency differences cause unit manipulation to feel different.  50 millisecond LAN latencies levels allow certain kinds of micromanagement not possible with WEB latencies.  Is this why the various Mutalisk and Vulture "moving shot" style mechanics were omitted from SC2?  The Phoenix "moving shot" requires no micromanagement on the part of the player.

BNet 2 Problems Can Not Interfere With High Profile Korean Matches
Activision-Blizzard realizes televised Starcraft games in Korea are high profile events with a lot of money on the line for professional teams and sponsors. Every sponsor wants their name on the uniform of Champion.  Every team wants the Champion to be on their team.  Bnet2 having latency issues during these high profile events is not an option.  Imagine thousands of people packing into a giant stadium and being told: "sorry no match today because Boxer can't connect to Moon on BNet2 for some unknown reason."  Activision-Blizzard realizes they must accomodate this kind of situation.  This makes some kind of LAN package a necessity under some circumstances.  Now the slippery slope begins.

What is a "High Profile" Match?  Who is a "Pro"?
Will Blizzard artificially delay communications creating higher latencies that in effect making their LAN set up "feel like" a BNet2 game? Which events get to use the LAN package?  What about the latency differences between LAN and BNet2? What is a "Pro game" and what is not?  How much practise time will players get to prepare under the LAN conditions of the "Pro game" they are preparing to play.    If certain "Pro players" are granted tonnes of practice time with the LAN package while others are not this will create ill will within the community.  Artosis outlined this issue very nicely in his June 23 episode of SC TV entitled Idra and Tasteless discuss BNet2.

Believe the rumours: a LAN Package Exists
Contridictory reports are flying in every direction.  Many reports claim the "LAN Package" exists while many other reports claim it does not exist. Based upon the required reliability for Starcraft televised events in Korea and "where there is smoke there is fire" logic I say this elusive "LAN Package" does exist.  Activision-Blizzard continues to deny its existence so as not to anger the average BNet2 player and SC2 customer. There is a LAN version of Starcraft2 built by Blizzard somewhere.  Activision-Blizzard realizes this version must be kept in very limited release and they are struggling with exactly how to do this.  Meanwhile, "Rome is Burning" or should i say "Seoul is Burning".

Problems With a Secret "LAN package"
Activision-Blizzard management feels they successfully controlled MW2 community innovation in a way that made generating revenue for new content much easier. Doing the same type of thing with Starcraft2 is proving far more difficult.  Once you create rules about who gets access to  a LAN package you must then create an infrastructure to enforce those rules.  Every pro level SC2 team will want access to this LAN package.  At this point Activision-Blizzard is playing with dynamite. If full time pro players start losing games due to an unfamiliar latency environment or inadequate practise time in a new low latency environment then Activision-Blizzard faces the possibility of alienating them.

Get Set For an Epic Final Chapter
As of now Blizzard employees continue to stare into the camera and tell us no LAN package exists.  So far every source claiming a Pro level LAN package exists does not have a Blizzard employee quote attached to it. This issue and the channel flip flop is eroding the trust between the hard core Starcraft community and Blizzard.  It is no mistake that as all this is going on Morhaime has stepped down as Blizzard's primary contact with the Activision-Blizzard mothership.  How this entire BNEt2/LAN ultimately plays out will be just as interesting as the plot twists in Starcraft2's Wings of Liberty campaign.

The facts detailed in this article point to these conclusions

- Blizzard has been working on a Battle.Net 2//Starcraft 2 LAN Package for high profile televised Starcraft 2 games for some time
- Blizzard will artificially inflate the latency of this LAN package so that the environment feels similar to BNet2
source: http://www.mymym.com/en/news/18838.html

Just 1 day and ~4 more hours till I get my hands on SC2. :)

[Image: toocool.png]
<3 Diego!
(This post was last modified: 25/07/2010 06:25 PM by Hellgiver.)
25/07/2010 06:23 PM
OMightyBuggy
Paradoxical Absurdity

Threads: 83
E-Pigs: 56.1534
Getting it at Gamestop @ 12:00 A.M. 27th W00t.
25/07/2010 08:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
feinicks
One day... we Fly...

Threads: 531
E-Pigs: 210817.3958
I really hate my country right now as there is no SC2 planned for release here... like EVER!

◄◄••• 天使たちの夢か? •••►►

[Image: ewualizer.gif]
My works!
25/07/2010 08:53 PM
OMightyBuggy
Paradoxical Absurdity

Threads: 83
E-Pigs: 56.1534
(25/07/2010 08:53 PM)feinicks Wrote:  I really hate my country right now as there is no SC2 planned for release here... like EVER!

That's awful... There is always importing it.
25/07/2010 08:58 PM