University Major?
Kana
♥pudding,pudding♥

Threads: 356
E-Pigs: 98.8386
University Major?
i have a hunch that some of you here might know me better than parents and such, since they think games are rubbish, photoshop is for kids, and alot more.

so I'm asking, what major did/will you take?
and what do you think i should take?

I'm no way up for those paper work stuffs (eg business, accounting), nor natural science things. never was and never will care about the environment. not coding stuffs either.

what I'm considering is:
1.Aeronautic and space engineering.
2.Psycology
3.Education
4.School Teacher Training. (not sure about this though)
5.Food Science. (believe it or not, I'm a good cook, and i too like cooking.)
6.not up for this, but: Visual and Performing art/Cartoon.

outta all of those, i do have interests in 1 and 2 also 5. the rest is what i think i might be capable of.

destination country is japan.

and please, this is no joking matter.
antihijack field is on.

[Image: snow-1.png][Image: snow-2.png][Image: Untitled-14.png]
(This post was last modified: 05/01/2010 02:19 AM by Kana.)
05/01/2010 02:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
theEvilOne
Evil Person

Threads: 61
E-Pigs: 13.5471
RE: University Major?
I'm going for English.

My Daleks, just understand this; if you choose death and destruction, then death and destruction will choose you.
[Image: SporeSignature.png?t=1275426611]
05/01/2010 02:29 AM
Tetris999

Threads: 298
E-Pigs: 82.5657
since I'm being a lazy donkey with my chemistry, I'll post something up quick here

If you're looking for something to do in life, choose something that makes you happy; i know this is a cliche' saying but it's true in the sense that people are more motivated and more productive working with things that they like. It's like school, some kids like math and some don't; why would you press on to struggle through something that you literally DO NOT enjoy? I think the problem with people these days is that the more cliche' saying of "money matters," you can buy whatever you want and live in a life of luxury. Alllllriiiiiight, but if you noticed that everyone who is in the top millionares did something they liked, like Bill gates with computers or any music artist with their songs.

Bottom line, If you develop video games and are paid for it and if you enjoy it at the same time; then go for it, why should you struggle through a life you do not want? You're given much freedom that many don't have, use it. It looks to me that the whole astronaught getup and psychology sounds more like "yeah this an awesome job" rather than "this might be enjoyable to be working in this field"; if you think you're a good cook, then go for food sciences. If you want to do visual arts and have great pride in your work, then go for it; the trick to an artist is that they enjoy their own work and pester on to develop more beautiful drawings/picture/graphics. Going to education, if teaching others makes you happy and helping the common townsfolk; then go for it, you have to enjoy the social aspect to teaching before you get to the technical parts of teaching a curriculum.

In these respects, i think you should go for cooking or education; unless you're REALLY interested in psychology, whereas i have limited knowledge on what you like here. Anything with the word "engineering" is almost always (or from what i heard anyway) intense courses, which makes sense; because they need precise measurements with equipment in space; people's lives could be on the line when you develop things that you know, fail. Again, i don't know how good you are in the math department, but I'm very sure that you need to do a stellar job in chemistry and physics to get accepted into general engineering (here anyway). Hence, if such a academically challenging job is in your tastes and you totally love solving intense equations, then go for it. So do what you want and enjoy what you do for the world, that's all i really need to say about choosing a degree.

P.S. Whatever position you are in life, there will be people who respect you for that profession; don't think you'll buy pride or gratitude by becoming a doctor, people only respect that position because they feel they need to.

MY SIG IS FUCKING DEAD
(This post was last modified: 05/01/2010 02:56 AM by Tetris999.)
05/01/2010 02:42 AM
Silvertie
Older, less cringe, still mad.
Fractal Insanity

Threads: 32
E-Pigs: 32.7022
Bachelor of Computer Studies.
Essentially a very middle-of-the-road degree. From here I could expand or specialize my skills... probably with networks. Cool thing is, such a line of work would not require me to stop playin' my vidya games and desist in my crude photo-editing.
I.T. For the win

"Books! I've read several on the subject!"
[Image: khadorsigfinal.jpg]
Silvertie: The Blog | A Door In Nowhere: The Webcomic
05/01/2010 02:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
feinicks
One day... we Fly...

Threads: 531
E-Pigs: 210817.3958
Depends on your choices really..

If you want to be in the field I'm in (hush..) then:
1 is good till an extent,
2 is good since its good in understanding mindsets,
3 Education??? Not really relevant here
4 and 5 are not really relevant.
6 will be good as well..

If you want to go into what you once told me then pretty much the same as above but varies.

But it really depends on what you want to do. Of course it could also end up so that you get Honors in one but end updoing something else. (I did mine in Chemistry but am no where related to it anymore.)

So what do you want to do in the future?

◄◄••• 天使たちの夢か? •••►►

[Image: ewualizer.gif]
My works!
05/01/2010 02:47 AM
Kana
♥pudding,pudding♥

i doubt i'd be able to do well in the gaming industry. or let's say i don't want to. it's my hobby, i don't want to turn it into a money machine.
same goes for 6) that's why i don't feel like I'm up for it.

i don't need people to respect me for what i do either. i need people respect me for who i am, so frankly, i don't give a damn about what people think about me. hence the sig.

one thing related to game i would want to be in though: journalism.
but that's a hard land to live in

my aim for the future: to earn enough to support me and family with basic and slight luxuries. and support my hobbies. have enough time for hobbies and family.
the rest of the stuffs in my life? as long as it work, i don't care.

(This post was last modified: 05/01/2010 02:52 AM by Kana.)
05/01/2010 02:51 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0774
So why are you going to University?  To get you qualified for a future job, or just out of interest?
If the former, you really have to picture yourself what you think you'll be doing, as well as perhaps consider the job market and prospects for that field.
Not sure about over there, but it's easy to switch majors and stuff here, however you may waste some time and money on courses you don't need for the new major.

EDIT: so I assume you're studying for job prospects - well what can you really consider yourself being in relation to the above choices?
There also may be the possibility of dual-majoring (check your Uni).
(This post was last modified: 05/01/2010 02:56 AM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
05/01/2010 02:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tetris999

Threads: 298
E-Pigs: 82.5657
Heartless141 Wrote:i doubt i'd be able to do well in the gaming industry. or let's say i don't want to. it's my hobby, i don't want to turn it into a money machine.
same goes for 6) that's why i don't feel like I'm up for it.

i don't need people to respect me for what i do either. i need people respect me for who i am, so frankly, i don't give a damn about what people think about me. hence the sig.

one thing related to game i would want to be in though: journalism.
but that's a hard land to live in

my aim for the future: to earn enough to support me and family with basic and slight luxuries. and support my hobbies. have enough time for hobbies and family.
the rest of the stuffs in my life? as long as it work, i don't care.

Lol, i was just covering general topics that could arise from these types of questions

anyway, if you ask me; ANYTHING in those professions should be able to support a family. So choose something and run with it; you have to envision yourself a future and set a goal for it, if you want a good job, then aim high-end one like a doctorate and adjust it to your work level. If you want to have a nice simple work, then go for something that's not astronomical like space engineering; because odds are you'll be working your donkey off in that job (I don't have experience here, so i can't say too much on how it's like), so choose any of those choices; nothing is really "better' than eachother.

MY SIG IS FUCKING DEAD
(This post was last modified: 05/01/2010 03:04 AM by Tetris999.)
05/01/2010 03:01 AM
Kana
♥pudding,pudding♥

yeah I'm aiming for a decent job. but me myself not even sure what i want to be. but it will turn out well if i like the subject i think. eg I'm a good listener, if i become a psychologist, I'll be giving people advices about life etc. can't remember what's they call that job.

etc etc.

05/01/2010 03:05 AM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
Heartless141 Wrote:yeah I'm aiming for a decent job. but me myself not even sure what i want to be. but it will turn out well if i like the subject i think. eg I'm a good listener, if i become a psychologist, I'll be giving people advices about life etc. can't remember what's they call that job.

etc etc.

Isn't that sort of like Counseling?
05/01/2010 03:07 AM