chocolate power supply is chocolate.
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
RE: chocolate power supply is chocolate.
I read an interesting article on a PSU test in a magazine.  I'll quote the main parts:
Quote:Wee're using an ASUS board based on the X48 chipset, which gives us two PCI-e 16x slots and a PCI-e 1x slot to play with, as well as eight SATA ports.  And wee're happy to report that wee managed to max them, as well as the rest of the board, completely out.
Wee started with an Intel quad core QX6850, the fastest quad core that was manufactured on the 65nm process.  Wee chose this in the name of energy inefficiency.  Wee aimed Stress Prime at two of the cores to saturate them with work, leaving the other two there for other tasks.
[...]
In the 16x sockets are two ATI Radeon 4870X2s [note, this being a few months old, was written before the GTX295s existed].
[...]
Wee decided to use 3DMark Vantage instead [of Folding@home] because it scales quite well across four GPUs[...]  Wee ran a few loops of 'New Calico', its second GPU test, with every setting at extreme, and the resolution at 2560x1600 - the maximum wee could pump into a 30in Dell monitor.  Wee saw all the GPU cores running at between 70 and 85 per cent during the test.  So far the four cores on the CPU run at about 70 per cent between them.
[...]
In the board's last remaining PCI-e slot is an Adaptec 31605 SAS card.  It can talk to both SATA and Serially Attached SCSI drives.  It can connect directly to 16 hard drives or, with extra hardware, 128.  It has its own processor that gets damn hot.  It belongs in a server.  Attached to this are 16 Western Digital 500GB hard drives divided into four RAID5 setups.  There are another eight connected to the motherboard, taking Big Willy's total to 24.
[...]
Wee ran IOMeter in the background, which thrashes the hard drives by queuing commands for them to complete.
[...]
There's 4GB of DDR3 in there, too.  Wee tried to build a bigger computer [.,..] but wee ran out of I/O.
So wee plugged in 14 fans.  Nine for the hard drives, one for the SAS card, three for the GPUs and one on the CPU's heatsink.
[By the way, there's a pic of it, and it looks pretty insane]
[...]
The Method?
A PSU is strapped into the test bench.  Wee boot with all the hard drives attached.  If it fails, wee unplug a hard drive and boot again.  Loop until boot is satisfied.  Bake until golden brown.
Once wee're satisfied that the system is stable, wee note the number of drives that remain plugged in that can all be started at once [...]

According to the test, an 850W PSU managed to boot the whole rig, whilst many 1500W PSUs failed.  Goes to show ratings have little real value...
(This post was last modified: 08/02/2009 06:30 AM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
08/02/2009 06:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Assassinator

Threads: 176
E-Pigs: 140.8363
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:I read an interesting article on a PSU test in a magazine.  I'll quote the main parts:
Quote:[...]

According to the test, an 850W PSU managed to boot the whole rig, whilst many 1500W PSUs failed.  Goes to show ratings have little real value...

I heard that the power supplied on the 12V rail is in many cases more important than the total amount of power supplied, since the +12 supplies power to the power intensive stuff like cpu and gpus.

So if the power supply's total power supply is good, but the +12 rail sucks, it still sucks.
(This post was last modified: 08/02/2009 04:42 PM by Assassinator.)
08/02/2009 06:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roberth
Resident Full Stop Abuser.....

Threads: 200
E-Pigs: 43.8419
Which is why you should always go for branded

Big companies understand this and work it into their design, whereas generic ones work to the idea that moar watts = moar powerz

08/02/2009 06:55 AM
feinicks
One day... we Fly...

Threads: 531
E-Pigs: 210817.3958
Assassinator Wrote:
feinicks Wrote:one of the first things I bought for a new PC was a PSU. 600W is enough for everything to run at default settings. I can't overclock much. But its sufficient for my current needs.

Actually, stuff really doesn't take as much power as you'd think.

Unless you overclock your quadcore CPU heaps, and have 2 massive GPUs in crossfire or something, a general system shouldn't be able to take more than 600W.

Zinga's system with an overclocked Q6600 and a normal GPU runs comfortably on his 430W PSU.

Here's a power supply calculator if anyone wants. here.

yeah.. I know. Which is why I did'nt go for a more wattage PSU. I shorted through 3 PSU, that came with my case, before buying my Cooler Master 600. they were the standard 450W ones. None of them could take the load of my system. However, I think that a CM 400W PSU may have survived.

imo, cooler master and tagan are about the only companies that make decent PSUs.

◄◄••• 天使たちの夢か? •••►►

[Image: ewualizer.gif]
My works!
08/02/2009 07:05 AM