Why I think DVD -> Blu-ray adaption will be slow at best [tl;dr material]
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0774
RE: Why I think DVD -> Blu-ray adaption will be slow at best [tl;dr ma
feinicks Wrote:Hdd offer the convenience of Large amount of data without the hassle of caring about too many consumables. A portable 500GB HDD will comprise of a HDD, its casing and its USB (or firewire) etc, and will be able to plug into almost any display device, as wee see nowadays. Even if you were to consider a 25GB BluRay discs, that would still mean you'd have to manage 20 such discs. Hence the eventual cost factor will go up. In case the discs are not re-writable, then this cost will always keep escalating.
Yes, if you need to carry 500GB of data around the place, a portable HDD is definitely the way to go.
However I disagree with the cost.  Optical media is definitely less convenient, but you can't beat the cost of storage.

feinicks Wrote:Already SSDs are not a premium, but can be obtained with relative ease. Almost every modern day hard disc come with shock protection, making them far more practical.
SSDs are still fairly premium >_>  I can get a 640GB HDD for less than half the price of a 30GB SSD.
As for shock protection, can't say it's too practical, unless newer drives are different.  Lost my WD 80GB 2.5in HDD when it fell off the table (about 0.5m high), and it was off and in a casing >_>
11/02/2009 04:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
feinicks
One day... we Fly...

Threads: 531
E-Pigs: 210817.3958
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:
feinicks Wrote:Hdd offer the convenience of Large amount of data without the hassle of caring about too many consumables. A portable 500GB HDD will comprise of a HDD, its casing and its USB (or firewire) etc, and will be able to plug into almost any display device, as wee see nowadays. Even if you were to consider a 25GB BluRay discs, that would still mean you'd have to manage 20 such discs. Hence the eventual cost factor will go up. In case the discs are not re-writable, then this cost will always keep escalating.
Yes, if you need to carry 500GB of data around the place, a portable HDD is definitely the way to go.
However I disagree with the cost.  Optical media is definitely less convenient, but you can't beat the cost of storage.

Agreed. But you're forgetting Flash/thumb/pen drives. They are fast becoming inexpensive and also increasing their storage capacity. They do not suffer from the drawbacks of either Optical discs or the conventional hdds.
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:
feinicks Wrote:Already SSDs are not a premium, but can be obtained with relative ease. Almost every modern day hard disc come with shock protection, making them far more practical.
SSDs are still fairly premium >_>  I can get a 640GB HDD for less than half the price of a 30GB SSD.
As for shock protection, can't say it's too practical, unless newer drives are different.  Lost my WD 80GB 2.5in HDD when it fell off the table (about 0.5m high), and it was off and in a casing >_>

I said relative ease. Implying that it is still buyable. Not like a year or two ago when the price of a 8GB SSD was so high that you probably buy two full workable (if not stunning in performance) computers in that much money. For instance, now good builds usually comprise of SSDs as OS drive. Give it another three years (the time frame wee are considering here) and you'll see a complete new aspect.

◄◄••• 天使たちの夢か? •••►►

[Image: ewualizer.gif]
My works!
11/02/2009 04:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

feinicks Wrote:Agreed. But you're forgetting Flash/thumb/pen drives. They are fast becoming inexpensive and also increasing their storage capacity. They do not suffer from the drawbacks of either Optical discs or the conventional hdds.
I did mention that flash storage is typically the preferred way of transferring data requiring rewritable capabilities >_>
Still, if I want to lend a friend some movies, I'm not going to put it on a USB drive.  Similar thing if you're giving it away.

Optical media is becoming less useful for data storage these days, yes, which is why I questioned whether your next upgrade will be to optical media or not :P
11/02/2009 05:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
feinicks
One day... we Fly...

Threads: 531
E-Pigs: 210817.3958
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:
feinicks Wrote:Agreed. But you're forgetting Flash/thumb/pen drives. They are fast becoming inexpensive and also increasing their storage capacity. They do not suffer from the drawbacks of either Optical discs or the conventional hdds.
I did mention that flash storage is typically the preferred way of transferring data requiring rewritable capabilities >_>
Still, if I want to lend a friend some movies, I'm not going to put it on a USB drive.  Similar thing if you're giving it away.

Optical media is becoming less useful for data storage these days, yes, which is why I questioned whether your next upgrade will be to optical media or not :P

This was in my previous point. Optical storage would be ideal for storing data that is not to be tampered. Of course, in case of movies, there are many ways to get around that, but that's the idea. I did say that they are going to be limited to becoming a entertainment distribution media.

◄◄••• 天使たちの夢か? •••►►

[Image: ewualizer.gif]
My works!
11/02/2009 05:13 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

feinicks Wrote:
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:

This was in my previous point. Optical storage would be ideal for storing data that is not to be tampered. Of course, in case of movies, there are many ways to get around that, but that's the idea. I did say that they are going to be limited to becoming a entertainment distribution media.
...and "backup" copies of these :P
(I think I lost the direction of this discussion a few posts back >_>)
11/02/2009 05:18 AM
Method
You may call me Reverend.

Threads: 443
E-Pigs: 71.3136
I reckon that there won't be one particular leading storage format, but a range. I remember reading that article about SanDisk releasing music on memory sticks? I think that there will be several different way of obtaining media like videos and music and such, like Internets, maybe download access points (like a photo printer in a shop but where you can buy songs and put them on your music player without having to go home). I think USB media is gonna get bigger and stuff. I don't think DVDs are going to die out because to be honest they do have good quality still. Even VHS has good quality.

[Image: mvg1hw.gif]
11/02/2009 06:10 AM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
I don't see the Optical Disk being the main portable form of data storage for long, in fact, by the time the DVD has disapated, Flash Drives will rule, along with Streaming systems... I mean if a person wasn't lazy they could carry a decent amount more than a BluRay even now.

The Optical medium will die.
11/02/2009 08:52 AM
Necro-Bot
Non-existent

Thread Revived!!!
[Image: Necropost.jpg]
29/12/2009 08:26 PM
Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Interesting to see how it's gone almost a year later.
Bluray drives, players and blank discs seem to cost about the same, although HD TV/monitor prices have gone down significantly.  HDDs have also significantly gone down in price, so much so that it's close to rivalling the cost of single write DVDs.  Seeing a massive rise in stuff like the WDTV where you can play stuff on your TV without any optical media, though there is still a bit of a distribution issue (download all the HD videos? (in all seriousness, how many people can download HD movies through legit channels?)).

Stores have Bluray on sale, but there doesn't seem to be much downtake on DVD from what I can tell.
For those not on Bluray, I suspect that some may be waiting on the prospects of online media distribution.  Right now, I really do not think Bluray will be used for general data storage, unless the games industry decides to do that (not talking about PS3).  Personally though, I think game devs will hold out a bit and try to cram stuff into DL DVDs (multiple if necessary) due to the low uptake on Bluray drives on computers.
29/12/2009 08:26 PM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
Bluray adoption does seem to be taking place well, albeit more so with people with $$$ to burn
29/12/2009 08:31 PM