Homebrew legend PSPlayerMT gets update: new PSPlayer v2.0
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0814
RE: Homebrew legend PSPlayerMT gets update: new PSPlayer v2.0
Senseito Sakura Wrote:
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:
Senseito Sakura Wrote:WINNING!! What subs does it support?
I don't recall PSPlayerMT ever supporting soft subtitles, so you'll probably have to hardsub everything (which means re-encode, and somewhat makes this useless...)

The Article Wrote:* Subtitles are supported. (smi, etc. through mplayer subreader.c and custom rendering of subtitles.)

Knock-knock
Missed that part...  (smi???)

Tried this - it doesn't appear to be as good as people make it however:
Quote:    * avi/mov(mp4) containers supported. No container specific limitation.
    * Video codec : Mpeg4 video(xvid etc), Mpeg4/AVC(h264) supported. (HW accel only)
    * Audio codec : AC3, MP3, AAC supported. (MP3/AAC are HW accelerated.)
As far as I can tell, that's all it supports.  It wouldn't play any OGM/MKV files for me.  Only seemed to even try to decode AVI and MP4.

I encoded a short clip 480x272, 44.1kHz MP3 audio, a few times to see how PSPlayerMT played them:
Default Xvid (VFW) settings (AVI container) - laggy
Above, but B-Frames disabled - plays fine
DivX 6.4.0 encoder (default settings) (AVI) - laggy
DivX 6.4.0 encoder (default settings, except profile=Portable (can't seem to find B-frame settings)) (AVI) - laggy
x264 VFW (default settings) - no video (not surprising I guess, since it's HW accelerated AVC decoding, and I don't think the PSP can decode x264 VFW (at least not without some customisation))

Xvid (default) in OGM - doesn't play
Xvid (default) in MKV - doesn't play
Xvid (default) remuxed out of the AVI into MP4 - laggy

This is an improvement over the previous version I guess, where it would lag even with B-frames taken out of Xvid.  I only tried one clip, so it may not be the most representative.

In terms of usefulness however, it's somewhat lacking now...  It's not often you'll get a DivX/Xvid + MP3 AVI with resolution less than or equal to 480x272, and, aren't encoded with B-frames.  For AVC in MP4, you're probably better using PPA or the XMB player.

For interest, I tried remuxing the laggy Xvid+MP3 AVI file into PMP and tested it with PPA - it lagged about the same (though weirdly enough, it does the same when the CPU is set to 66MHz and 333MHz - I suspect that the CPU isn't really being changed :/ (didn't bother to confirm anything with iR Shell)).

Also tried my 640x480 DivX3 clip in PPA - for some reason, it's not playing now :/  (might try with old PMP Mod to see if it works)
25/09/2008 05:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Homebrew legend PSPlayerMT gets update: new PSPlayer v2.0 - ZiNgA BuRgA - 25/09/2008 05:49 PM