Homebrew legend PSPlayerMT gets update: new PSPlayer v2.0
squee666
Grand Warlock

Threads: 351
E-Pigs: 555.9025
Homebrew legend PSPlayerMT gets update: new PSPlayer v2.0
[Image: psplayermt.jpg]
Quote:PSP homebrew developer Nugi has released an update for the phenomenal video player application that he's made. PSPlayer v2.0 is actually built on (or is an update of, in a way) the phenomenal PSPlayerMT from - get this! - over two years ago now, and has ever since amassed over tens of thousands of downloads to date.

Ah, the jolly good old days of brew - see the screenshot above? It's even got the older QJ.NET watermark on it. Nice to see Nugi is still alive and kicking with his video player application! He's taken a couple of stuff from PSPlayerMT, and has brought it over to PSPlayer v2.0. Here's a list of its features:

* Based on FFMPEG nearly latest source(svn rev. 14728).
    * avi/mov(mp4) containers supported. No container specific limitation.
    * Video codec : Mpeg4 video(xvid etc), Mpeg4/AVC(h264) supported. (HW accel only)
    * Audio codec : AC3, MP3, AAC supported. (MP3/AAC are HW accelerated.)
    * Subtitles are supported. (smi, etc. through mplayer subreader.c and custom rendering of subtitles.)
    * Supports B-frames in H264.
    * audio 8-48kHz sampling rate supported. (linear resamling to 44kHz used in PSPlayerMT)
    * Real-time volume boosting(1-20x). Apart from system volume. (Can be used for Replay Gain. Of course by hand not automatically.)
    * Super high quality custom YUV rendering using PSP video acclerator. Precise color conversion. Deblocking in chroma channels. (from PSPlayerMT)
    * Fast avi loading by optimizing index loading.
    * Max video resolution. 480x272. (PSP HW codec library does not support higher resolution. maybe)
    * No restriction in framerate.
    * Buffering mechanism used in PSPlayerMT. (but extreamly reduced buffer size.)
    * FF/Rew supported.
    * Using internal bookmark mechanism, resuming supported.
    * Async reading of video files. Less memstick access.
    * usbhostfs, nethostfs supported. (first should be enabled using irshell. etc.)

The download includes a readme application with more details on PSPlayer's other features, its controls, and library compilation among other notes. (The English readme file is the one titled "PSPlayer-en".)

Wow this is quite soe news actually that homebrew psplayer is really quite popular even to date.

[Image: dl.gif]

Source: QJ

[Image: IuZelj2.png]
Spoiler for anime watched:
[Image: squee666.jpg]
24/09/2008 04:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0814
RE: Homebrew legend PSPlayerMT gets update: new PSPlayer v2.0
I might see how much this improves on the previous version in terms of decoding speed.  Unfortunately, resolution is still limited to 480x272 - PPA is the only way to get up to 720x480 (that reminds me, might try it again with that 640x480 DivX video I had, now that both these players support HW accelerated decoding of MP3/AAC).

Thanks for the update.
24/09/2008 05:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
WINNING!! What subs does it support?
25/09/2008 12:39 AM
feinicks
One day... we Fly...

Threads: 531
E-Pigs: 210817.3958
PSP 3000 LCD + this = Awesomeness!

◄◄••• 天使たちの夢か? •••►►

[Image: ewualizer.gif]
My works!
25/09/2008 01:19 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Senseito Sakura Wrote:WINNING!! What subs does it support?
I don't recall PSPlayerMT ever supporting soft subtitles, so you'll probably have to hardsub everything (which means re-encode, and somewhat makes this useless...)
25/09/2008 01:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:
I don't recall PSPlayerMT ever supporting soft subtitles, so you'll probably have to hardsub everything (which means re-encode, and somewhat makes this useless...)

The Article Wrote:* Subtitles are supported. (smi, etc. through mplayer subreader.c and custom rendering of subtitles.)

Knock-knock
25/09/2008 08:00 AM
cboushell
Able One

Threads: 1
E-Pigs: 3.7310
I have tried playing multiple .avi and divx files with this and the best I got was just the audio, the way everyone seems to be drooling over this app I expected better results.  If anyone here could offer some tips I would be very thankful.

Thanks in advance,
    Chad
25/09/2008 02:21 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Senseito Sakura Wrote:
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:

The Article Wrote:* Subtitles are supported. (smi, etc. through mplayer subreader.c and custom rendering of subtitles.)

Knock-knock
Missed that part...  (smi???)

Tried this - it doesn't appear to be as good as people make it however:
Quote:    * avi/mov(mp4) containers supported. No container specific limitation.
    * Video codec : Mpeg4 video(xvid etc), Mpeg4/AVC(h264) supported. (HW accel only)
As far as I can tell, that's all it supports.  It wouldn't play any OGM/MKV files for me.  Only seemed to even try to decode AVI and MP4.

I encoded a short clip 480x272, 44.1kHz MP3 audio, a few times to see how PSPlayerMT played them:
Default Xvid (VFW) settings (AVI container) - laggy
Above, but B-Frames disabled - plays fine
DivX 6.4.0 encoder (default settings) (AVI) - laggy
DivX 6.4.0 encoder (default settings, except profile=Portable (can't seem to find B-frame settings)) (AVI) - laggy
x264 VFW (default settings) - no video (not surprising I guess, since it's HW accelerated AVC decoding, and I don't think the PSP can decode x264 VFW (at least not without some customisation))

Xvid (default) in OGM - doesn't play
Xvid (default) in MKV - doesn't play
Xvid (default) remuxed out of the AVI into MP4 - laggy

This is an improvement over the previous version I guess, where it would lag even with B-frames taken out of Xvid.  I only tried one clip, so it may not be the most representative.

In terms of usefulness however, it's somewhat lacking now...  It's not often you'll get a DivX/Xvid + MP3 AVI with resolution less than or equal to 480x272, and, aren't encoded with B-frames.  For AVC in MP4, you're probably better using PPA or the XMB player.

For interest, I tried remuxing the laggy Xvid+MP3 AVI file into PMP and tested it with PPA - it lagged about the same (though weirdly enough, it does the same when the CPU is set to 66MHz and 333MHz - I suspect that the CPU isn't really being changed :/ (didn't bother to confirm anything with iR Shell)).

Also tried my 640x480 DivX3 clip in PPA - for some reason, it's not playing now :/  (might try with old PMP Mod to see if it works)
25/09/2008 05:49 PM
pereeski
Omnipotent Presence

Threads: 33
E-Pigs: 19.4134
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:Tried this - it doesn't appear to be as good as people make it however:
Quote:    * avi/mov(mp4) containers supported. No container specific limitation.
As far as I can tell, that's all it supports.  It wouldn't play any OGM/MKV files for me.  Only seemed to even try to decode AVI and MP4.

I encoded a short clip 480x272, 44.1kHz MP3 audio, a few times to see how PSPlayerMT played them:
Default Xvid (VFW) settings (AVI container) - laggy
Above, but B-Frames disabled - plays fine
DivX 6.4.0 encoder (default settings) (AVI) - laggy
DivX 6.4.0 encoder (default settings, except profile=Portable (can't seem to find B-frame settings)) (AVI) - laggy
x264 VFW (default settings) - no video (not surprising I guess, since it's HW accelerated AVC decoding, and I don't think the PSP can decode x264 VFW (at least not without some customisation))

Xvid (default) in OGM - doesn't play
Xvid (default) in MKV - doesn't play
Xvid (default) remuxed out of the AVI into MP4 - laggy

This is an improvement over the previous version I guess, where it would lag even with B-frames taken out of Xvid.  I only tried one clip, so it may not be the most representative.

In terms of usefulness however, it's somewhat lacking now...  It's not often you'll get a DivX/Xvid + MP3 AVI with resolution less than or equal to 480x272, and, aren't encoded with B-frames.  For AVC in MP4, you're probably better using PPA or the XMB player.

For interest, I tried remuxing the laggy Xvid+MP3 AVI file into PMP and tested it with PPA - it lagged about the same (though weirdly enough, it does the same when the CPU is set to 66MHz and 333MHz - I suspect that the CPU isn't really being changed :/ (didn't bother to confirm anything with iR Shell)).

Also tried my 640x480 DivX3 clip in PPA - for some reason, it's not playing now :/  (might try with old PMP Mod to see if it works)

Thanks for taking the time to test and share results. I tried using this way back, and I was kind of disappointed and didn't use it again. I might try it again though with the latest version.

myWindows v3.0 for 4.01M33
http://endlessparadigm.com/forum/showthr...?tid=12768
[Image: snap019bi5.png]
Shot at 2008-08-01
myWindows v2.0 for 4.01M33/3.90M33
http://endlessparadigm.com/forum/showthr...#pid133094
myWindows v2.0 for 3.80M33
http://endlessparadigm.com/forum/showthr...p?tid=6770
myWindows 3.71M33 v2.0 w/Hi-Res 01-12.bmp Backgrounds
http://endlessparadigm.com/forum/showthr...p?tid=6596

Hahaha
(This post was last modified: 25/09/2008 06:35 PM by pereeski.)
25/09/2008 06:30 PM
cboushell
Able One

Threads: 1
E-Pigs: 3.7310
I still have yet to see why anyone was so excited about this app.  I've been reading these replies and it seems that this video player isn't worth a $hit, and doesn't operate as well as claimed by the programmer.  If I am wrong and someone here is getting good results with this please speak up, as I would love to be able to play more types of video files on my PSP.  

Chad
26/09/2008 04:47 PM