Touchless Gesture User Interface
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0774
Touchless Gesture User Interface
Quote:Tired of marking up that touchscreen display with fingerprints? That may soon come to end if device manufactures adopt a new Touchless Gesture User Interface technology developed by Elliptic Labs in their products.

Elliptic plans to showcase their “Mimesign” technology at IFA in Berlin from the 3rd to 8th of September 2010. Mimesign will bring intuitive ways for people to interact with devices. The possibilities range from tablets, remote controls or in-car media controls. The interface is based on ultrasound technology and allows the user to remain in an unchanged state. Meaning, you can pimp slap your way through a photo album.

It’s really as simple as it sounds. A set of gestures are programmed in to the interface allowing the user to navigate with free, unrestricted hand movements. It’s a great invention and has many practical uses, for instance waving your hand to change radio stations in the car is much safer than leaning over to find the button. But waving your hand across the air to change photos on your media player is a bit of extra work for me, I would rather tap the edge of the screen to flip pictures than to wave my hand across two feet of air. Perhaps the movements in the video are more dramatic than they need to be?

Source: YouTube
Source: http://www.mobilemag.com/2010/08/24/touc...st-at-ifa/

As article notes, seems awkward, but maybe it'll get improved.
Though I personally don't see it being too useful in the portable market, I mean, someone else could easily change your stuff, possibly even unintentionally...
It might be more useful for gaming methinks, ie, Wii without a wii-mote?
25/08/2010 05:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1-R
forced consensual sex
Team DreamArts

Threads: 396
E-Pigs: 115.1024
RE: Touchless Gesture User Interface
That's really cool

[Image: OLmvS.png]
Twit | DA | G+ | Last.fm
25/08/2010 09:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kana
♥pudding,pudding♥

Threads: 356
E-Pigs: 98.8426
RE: Touchless Gesture User Interface
cool tech, but have many flaws, then again, hopefully the finished version will fix those flaws.
buttons was born because people need less effort to do something, (like pulling a crank) this right now takes too much efforts.

[Image: snow-1.png][Image: snow-2.png][Image: Untitled-14.png]
26/08/2010 02:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply