Endless Paradigm

Full Version: Japan launches high-speed Internet satellite
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
well heres some interesting news.. basically asia is about to have fast net access it says up to 1.2 Gbps, which would make it the fastest in the world.. im moving to japan lol

Quote:TOKYO (AFP) - Japan successfully launched Saturday an experimental satellite aimed at providing high-speed Internet access across Asia, even when terrestrial infrastructure goes down, the space agency said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The domestically developed H-2A rocket carrying the Kizuna satellite was launched at 17:55 pm (0855 GMT) with no glitches from the Space Centre on Tanegashima island off the southern tip of Kyushu Island, southern Japan.

The communications satellite, expected to be in use for five years, separated from the rocket approximately 35 minutes after the launch, said an official of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) during a live broadcast.

The 342 million dollar-Kizuna will allow super-high speed data communications of up to 1.2 Gbps, which would make it the fastest in the world, the agency said.

That rate would translate to 150 times that of the average high-speed ADSL connection rate of 8 Mbps, or 12 times the speed of a fibre-optic communication delivery to a person's premises (FTTP).

The "Kizuna," which also means "bond" in Japanese, is expected to begin transmitting and receiving data with terrestrial infrastructures in July after completing preparations and confirming the satellite's safety.

Japan is looking to use the satellite to allow communication when a ground-based network is severed by a disaster in any Asian country, in which case it would be used to transmit data to crisis management offices.

The agency is hoping it can also be used as an educational or medical tool to reach people in remote or mountainous areas.

"The Internet is now an integral part of our lives; but its infrastructure levels vary. Urban areas ... have a better environment, whereas some mountainous regions and remote islands are not well-equipped," JAXA said on its website.

The satellite will enable students in Asian countries to communicate smoothly and with no time lag among one another, as if they were in the same classroom, it said.

The satellite will to last five years, an agency spokeswoman said.

The launch was delayed by one week after JAXA said it had discovered a problem with the gas jet thruster for its launch rocket.

Japan, like developing Asian powers China and India, has been stepping up its space operations and has set a goal of sending an astronaut to the moon by 2020.

source - http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080223/tc_...ceinternet
how bout 40gb? :D

http://www.console-crazy.com/showthread.php?tid=215

old news... though i don't think its available for the public
that's sounds cool
boogschd Wrote:how bout 40gb? :D

http://www.console-crazy.com/showthread.php?tid=215

old news... though i don't think its available for the public

yeah this is available to the public.. from what i understand all you need as far as equipment is a sat reciever and a dish and you got fast internet... 12gig a sec is more then id ever need as long as its not shared between everyone in your area.. @12 gig a sec you can get a blu ray quality movie in a few minutes or less depending on the server your getting it from.. i hope this becomes a big thing and expands to europe and the US and the whole world and being sat based it shouldnt be much more expensive the sat tv.. its prolly tiered anyway like pay so much for a certain amount of bandwidth
Unfortunately, satellites have really bad latency, due to the fact that you have to beam data long distances (and the speed of light isn't that fast...).

I doubt any single person will get the full bandwidth anyway.  And 1.2Gbps isn't really that fast compared to what you can get nowadays (Gigabit ethernet = 1Gbps.  10GigE = 10Gbps etc)
I think the main significance of this is that it's a satellite - I don't think satellites have been able to transfer stuff at this speed before...
^^exactly sat based internet is has bad latency problems and bad for online games.. the thing with this is like you said its the first time a sat can transfer data that fast plus it will work even when the power is out or your out in the middle of nowhere.. good for RVs and stuff or people that live in the boondocks

-edit-
actually my blind self didnt see the . in 1.2 i thought it said 12 lol that's why i thought it was so good... but 1.2 stil is pretty good
Hahaha.
Anyways, thanks for posting.
It might be bundled with cable TV if it's a sattelite, like my small dish sattelite receiver. But no internet yet :(
well, i guess that asians aren't as super smart as everyone says. I can't believe wee didn't just route some wires instead of satellite. It might be a little more expensive, but atleast there wouldn't be as much latency. satellite still pretty cool though...
crazy-asian Wrote:well, i guess that asians aren't as super smart as everyone says. I can't believe wee didn't just route some wires instead of satellite. It might be a little more expensive, but atleast there wouldn't be as much latency. satellite still pretty cool though...
Erm...  You can't just route wires where the power's cut off, or remote areas...
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's