Endless Paradigm

Full Version: Help me pick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I dropped my WD 80GB 2.5in HDD a while ago (damn those things break easy) and now I'm in need of a device capable of transferring up to around 24GB in one go.  Now I'll just say that I'm doing something that I'm probably not supposed to do, so a smaller device is advantageous (easier to be more discreet) and (write) speed has importance too.  I'd say that speed is more important than size however (have been using the HDD fine before).

Now I'd usually go for buying a new HDD, but I've also been thinking about getting a netbook sometime down the track; most of the netbooks which look good to me come with a reasonably sized HDD which would mean duplication if I get both.  Although current netbook specs do meet my requirements (only really plan to use it to do some programming, perhaps basic games/video) the price for a reasonable netbook with a 10in screen (I don't think I could go any lower than that) is around AU$600 - a bit too much for me.  Unsure if prices for a netbook with 10in screen will ever get much lower - methinks that the specs will go up instead, though if the AUD » USD conversion rate improves (doesn't look promising in the near future however), the price may go down.

So I've come up with 3 options:
1. Samsung 160GB 5400rpm 8MB cache 2.5in SATA drive [$68] + SATA to USB casing [$7]
+ Cheapest option
+ Fast writes
- Potential duplication with netbook HDD
- Size
- Easy to break
- 160GB is far more than I need - 40GB HDD is really suffice for me (160GB drives seem to be the smallest I can find around here - I might be able to find a 120GB for $55 though but I'm not wagering on it); I don't use external HDDs for storage or backup purposes, so I don't get these advantages

2. OCZ 30Gb Core Series V2 SSD R:170MB/sec W:98 MB/sec [$159] + SATA to USB casing [$7] (note, this drive includes a mini-B USB port, but I'm unsure whether it can be used to transfer data - the OCZ website just mentions the possibility of upgrading the firmware through the USB port and nothing else)
+ Potentially useful for other things (ie use as system drive once I'm done with transferring stuff)
+ If I get the netbook, can replace the netbook's drive with this one, then use the other HDD as my transfer device (I prefer having a smaller SSD than larger HDD for a netbook)
+ Harder to break than the HDD
- Expensive...
- Writes are probably slower than the HDD; if not, I'll still be using up write cycles...
- Still the size of a HDD
- Prices of SSDs are likely to fall a bit this year

3. Kingston 32GB USB [$89]
+ Much cheaper than the SSD and only $14 more than the HDD option
+ Small
+ Hardest to break
- Slowest writes
- Also writes wear down the flash
- Already have 8GB USB, which is more than enough for me - 32GB is somewhat duplication and useless.  My current 8GB is rather slow-ish though - have heard the Kingston is fairly good in terms of speed, so I would get something though not much.

I probably won't go with the USB stick since it seems like a waste of $90 just for a transfer device.
Still unsure whether I will actually get a netbook, but I'm keeping the possibility in mind.

Anyone have any ideas, or perhaps other suggestions?
Thanks!
Would depend on how important size is to you. If (physical) size is extremely important, then maybe USB...

I'll probably pick the HDD. You get more disk space for your price. As you mentioned, SSD prices will probably drop rapidly in the near future, so getting one now probably very economical.
* feinicks is very interested.

Although from discretion point of view, the USB drive makes the most sense, because of its size, it is no going to be as fast as the SSD.

I would go for the SSD, really, due it faster performance, light weight and data security. However its more expensive.

That would leave the HDD only. So unless price is not an issue, then SSD else the HDD.
If you got the money why not go for a netbook,. maybe a 15" slim notebook,. ;p

SSD is still not whot suposed to  be,. and too expensive!

USB stick,. me wants to get 1,. small and usefull for portable programs,. but not sure about quality.

HDD best buy,. quality and usefullness.
lol actually that's a good suggestion.. though it would be a hassle to connect/sync the netbook to the host PC everytime a transfer is to be made.
Thanks for the comments :)

Vegetano1 Wrote:If you got the money why not go for a netbook,. maybe a 15" slim notebook,. ;p
Yeah, too expensive.  10in netbooks are around $550-600.  Cheapest 15in notebook I can find is over $800.

Vegetano1 Wrote:SSD is still not whot suposed to  be,. and too expensive!
I think it depends on how you use it.  SSDs are still in their infancy yes, but I don't think you should expect an SSD to straight out replace a HDD.

feinicks Wrote:lol actually that's a good suggestion.. though it would be a hassle to connect/sync the netbook to the host PC everytime a transfer is to be made.
Just take out the HDD and plug into eSATA port :P

I'm siding with the HDD right now.  Was originally thinking about it this way - the only use for the HDD would be as a transfer device.  Once I'm done with transfers, it doesn't really serve any more use, so kinda becomes wasted in a sense (unless I need to transfer larger files later on, though I'm doubting this).  The SSD somewhat becomes more attractive looking at it this way, since I can still make use of it later on.
But then, I don't really have any need for an SSD either, so I guess it doesn't make up for its price premium.
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:
Vegetano1 Wrote:If you got the money why not go for a netbook,. maybe a 15" slim notebook,. ;p
Yeah, too expensive.  10in netbooks are around $550-600.  Cheapest 15in notebook I can find is over $800.

Some netbooks are more expensive then cheapest notebooks,. ;p
You say you need to transfer 24GB in one go... Is 30GB the formatted or the marketing size of the SSD? You may end up close to the mark...
PSPkiller Wrote:You say you need to transfer 24GB in one go... Is 30GB the formatted or the marketing size of the SSD? You may end up close to the mark...
It's "marketing size".  But 30 × (1000÷1024)3 = 27.94.  Then if wee say filesystem overhead = 5% that's still 26.5GB.  I don't really need 24GB, but it'd be convenient to do so :P
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:Thanks for the comments :)

My 15in notebook was $300 T.T
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's