"Apple iPod" Shipped with Virus
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
"Apple iPod" Shipped with Virus
Quote:[Image: Apple-iPod-Shipped-with-Virus-2.jpg]First of all, let's clarify a matter: because you may ask "what's with the quotes in the title?" I must explain you one thing. This article is not about one of those popular
MP3 players manufactured by the Cupertino-based company, it's actually about a crappy device probably made by some Chinese firm which attempted to lure more consumers by using Apple's logo and product name (some of you may consider that the "d" at the end of iPod looks like an "a" but, what the heck, it's obvious the manufacturers wanted to take advantage of Apple's success on the market).

Although it's obviously a trademark infringing case, wee're not here to talk about legal disputes but about some security issues recently discovered.

As you know, more and more computer infections attempt to propagate themselves by copying their files on USB removable drives and, once connected to a clean computer, they install and compromise the system. But, what's worse is that some devices which provide USB connectivity are shipped with pre-installed viruses, probably due to the ignorance of the manufacturer or to some errors in the scanning process made before shipping. It happened in the past with digital photo frames and it also happened one week ago with HP's flash drives.

However, it seems like MP3 players are also affected by this issue. And this is the time when wee start talking about that fake Apple iPod (which by the way, says it provides 1 GB of storage space) because, according to Michael of Viruslist.com, it has been shipped with a pre-installed virus. Just like usual, the infection was detected once the USB connection was established, the installed Kasperksy Internet Security identifying and blocking the threat.

So, in a era when more and more threats affect the USB-based devices and when such products are shipped with all kinds of accessories, including headsets, connectivity cables, viruses and Trojan horses, antiviruses are simply a must-have...
- Source: [Softpedia]

iPoa.  The dirty version of the iPod.  Sounds interesting.
20/04/2008 02:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
diego
poof

Threads: 264
E-Pigs: 37.4012
RE: "Apple iPod" Shipped with Virus
Oh lol wee have SO MANY of these fake ipods here in the Philippines. Except here they actually TRY to make it look at least a little like an iPod.
The click wheel doesn't even work on them.

It is soooo bad it is just a more expensive USB thumb drive.

OH and this sounds weird and I am glad that it has not happened to me.

[Image: cce6aa9e-c40c-4ae7-aebe-d7780d6fc009.gif]
(This post was last modified: 20/04/2008 02:17 AM by diego.)
20/04/2008 02:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
Fake iPods everywhere over here (Canary Islands), but they sell legit ones as well.

Those Chinese ones are so flimsy its unbelievable.

Those who have yet to install A/V on a computer, internet or not, is an idiot.
20/04/2008 04:38 AM
SchmilK
Noob

Threads: 359
E-Pigs: 82.0266
wee get catch the jumpdrive virus all the time on show site from people passing scripts and powerpoint files around.  You would be surprised how many business professionals don't think they NEED antivirus because they are 'smrt' or they have it and enver update it because 'it takes too long'.

this is dang funny...see...cheaters never win..cough up the cash and get th real thing

limneosgreen Wrote:Take my advice, don't try to install custom themes ... it's possible to brick ur psp.. why just don't change wallpaper
(This post was last modified: 20/04/2008 09:00 AM by SchmilK.)
20/04/2008 08:59 AM
games like a grrl
Neko ninja grrl

Threads: 74
E-Pigs: 35.1378
All ipods come shipped with a virus; itunes.
Meh, I heard about that photo frame, freaked me out.  I don't like how easy it seems to be to get yer machine these days.  I've got NOD32 up and running, still have things slip by every so often, but that's internet stuff, I don't think NOD32 does a good job on  protecting from online threats, at least imo.

[Image: haruhi-haruhi_sig_v2.jpg]
[Image: f_SIGharuhiGLm_4ba6144.png]
20/04/2008 09:51 AM