The Visual Novel Thread
can anyone recommend me some with existing English Patch?
SkyDX
Guardian of the Shining Sky
Team DreamArts

Threads: 305
E-Pigs: 173.5065
Visual Novels
Hi guys, I recently played through the Visual Novel "Wind Re:gratitude" and somehow got addicted to the idea, it's like watching animes but more interactive^^
Can anyone recommend me some others that have an existing english patch?

Thanks in advance ;)

[Image: EgGYGSX.png]
TwitterMyAnimeList lastFMBlogdeviantART

Spoiler for Old Rainbow Sounds sig^^:
[Image: 6yWvk.png]
05/01/2008 03:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
RE: Visual Novels
Ahh, Assassinator has played a few.
I would guess Sparker and Goshi would have played through some too.

I'm interested, somewhat - I found those lame anime games amusing, so...

What's Wind Re:gratitude like?
(This post was last modified: 05/01/2008 04:36 AM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
05/01/2008 04:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SkyDX
Team DreamArts

Well I can't compare Wind to anything since it's the first Visual Novel I played but I would say it's a so-so game. The graphics style is a little better then the original Kanon and you can only make a few decisions at key situation which leads to one of the 6 possible endings. However I won't blame the game for this because it was created back in 2001. The Story is typical for it's genre however a few things happened I really didn't expect at the beginning. It's also full voiced and even if I could only make a few decisions, I somehow had the feeling that I am really the main character. All in all I enjoyed it very much.

From what I heard, newer Visual Novels are much more advanced, for example the School Days game which is mostly fully animated and has 30! possible endings.

I would really want to play more Visual Novels however surprisingly the more known ones like Clannad, Kanon and Shuffle! don't have an english patch (yet)

That's why this thread exists^^

05/01/2008 06:28 AM
Assassinator

Threads: 176
E-Pigs: 140.8363
EDIT: Fixed horrible spelling mistakes from the past.
Can't be fucked updating the content... errr... all the incomplete stuff talked about in this are all translated by now.  As for recommendations... don't know, go play True Remembrance for a start.

ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:Ahh, Assassinator has played a few.
I would guess Sparker and Goshi would have played through some too.

They've probably played through a lot more than I have, and thus would be way more knowledgeable in that aspect.

I only played through 1 full length one. (If not including short doujin stuff like Narcissu)

ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:What's Wind Re:gratitude like?

I have that visual novel at home, but never used it (like 90% of all my stuff probably)

I assume it's typical visual novel style, where your in the positon of the main charactor, and the story is presented in your eyes. Wind is most likely some love story.  So you will have to pick different options along the way, and follow through the guys story with one of the girls.

You liked the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien anime right (favourtie?)... That was based on a visual novel.

SkyDX Wrote:I would really want to play more Visual Novels however surprisingly the more known ones like Clannad, Kanon and Shuffle! don't have an english patch (yet)

Kanon was being translated, then the guy decided to go all legal, and refused to do anything unless he gets permission from the company. (yeah, like that's going to happen). So it's as good as dead, probably more dead than dead, since this guy is almost finished in his work, and that would just discourage anyone else attempting another translation, due to the possibility of their work going to waste.

Clannad is being translated. But don't get your hopes up, fan translations generally take like years to translate. Wind took 4.5 years. Tsukihime took 3.

Shuffle translation is supposed to be finished, and is up to the editiong stage or something. But their status thing hasn't changed in like 2 years (at least the last time i checked, which was ages ago), so who knows what the hell is going on. Doesn't look that promising.

On the other hand, Tsukihime is fully fan translated. Fate/Stay Night (highest selling in 2004, one of the highest selling of all time) is getting translated, and since that translation team has successfully released things in the past, looks promising.

I want to see Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and ef ~a fairy tale of the two~ translated.

SkyDX Wrote:Hi guys, I recently played through the Visual Novel "Wind Re:gratitude" and somehow got addicted to the idea, it's like watching animes but more interactive^^
Can anyone recommend me some others that have an existing english patch?

I assume ur reading visual novels for the storylines, and not the "other stuff".

There are only a handful of commercial visual novels that are fan translated. And a few that are commercially translated.

There are way more translated short doujin works than commercial ones.

As for translated commercial ones, I suggest you try Tsukihime, Ever 17 (Commercial translation by Hirameki) and Fate/Stay Night (fan translation for 1 of 3 routes finished, another one coming very soon, within this month if i estimate).

As for the doujin works, I liked Narcissu.
(This post was last modified: 06/04/2012 01:39 AM by Assassinator.)
05/01/2008 09:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sparker
Super Lame Productions

Threads: 549
E-Pigs: 187.8892
most of the doujin games I play are shumps, probably very little exceptions.

as for visual novels I haven't fully read one by myself yet, I usually just look over at Goshi's screen.
Though I am interested in reading some, I just got to be aware of some of the content...

05/01/2008 09:40 AM
SkyDX
Team DreamArts

@Assassinator:

Well I probably should have expressed myself better^^
I compared the character style of Wind with the old Kanon Anime not the game, same goes for the story part, it's like most romance Animes :)

Thanks for the tip with Tsukihime and Ever 17, I will look into them.
I hope Shuffle! and Kanon come to an release, I didn't really liked the ending of the Shuffle! and would like to see another.
As for Kanon, I have the PC, Dreamcast and PSP version, only waiting to get patched

And yeah I don't play Visual Novels for the "other stuff", if I would need the "other stuff" I would just get some movies, way easier then just "play" fast forward through a game, however I don't mind if a Visual Novel has the "other stuff" it feels like a little reward for reading through the entire story and making the right choices for the girl you want to reach  ^.^

05/01/2008 11:50 AM
Wolkenritter
Hey poor player!

Threads: 157
E-Pigs: 67.2304
Fate/Stay Night has only the Fate scenario translated, though the translation for Unlimited Blade Works will be out shortly. I actually like Fate/Stay Night better then Tsukihime now =/

There's also a Fate/Hollow Ataraxia translation in the works. The game is the sequel to Fate/Stay Night. If you like Tsukihime you could also try Kagetsu Tohya which is basically the sequel to the game. Yes it has a released English patch.

You also have ONE. Its an okay game, its not too great but not too bad either. The artwork is pretty bad though and the game is quite brutal with your choices. Clannad is also being translated and will probably actually see a release unlike Kanon. Planetarian seems to have a translation as well though I have yet to actually play the game.

Anyway there's a list of translations here. I hope Utwarerumono and Air turn out well =)

[Image: eo1_zpsjxsxwr5u.png][Image: eo2_zpsnzftucuo.png][Image: eo3_zpsh5eawp85.png]
[Image: eo4_zpskcap6b8a.png][Image: eo1u_zpsw5rdzuqs.png]
(This post was last modified: 05/01/2008 04:52 PM by Wolkenritter.)
05/01/2008 04:47 PM
Assassinator

Threads: 176
E-Pigs: 140.8363
Goshi Wrote:Fate/Stay Night has only the Fate scenario translated, though the translation for Unlimited Blade Works will be out shortly. I actually like Fate/Stay Night better then Tsukihime now =/

I've read only the preview of F/SN. But from what's there, I have a feeling I'll probably end up saying the same thing.

Although judging by anime, i liked Tsukihime a lot more. I heard that the F/SN anime is more faithful to the visual novel than Tsukihime though.

Goshi Wrote:You also have ONE. Its an okay game, its not too great but not too bad either. The artwork is pretty bad though and the game is quite brutal with your choices. Clannad is also being translated and will probably actually see a release unlike Kanon. Planetarian seems to have translation as well though I have yet to actually play the game.

Last time i tried, i couldn't fine ONE anywhere. Not even a trace.

SkyDX Wrote:if I would need the "other stuff" I would just get some movies, way easier then just "play" fast forward through a game,

There's plenty of visual novels that are based pretty much purely on the "other stuff". So if u really wanted "other stuff" (I'm not saying u do), u won't need to fast forward anything. And a lot more of these are localized into English than others, by commercial companies, since the "other stuff" based ones seems to sell way better than the storyline based ones (not that surprisingly Hahaha).

Goshi Wrote:Anyway there's a list of translations here. I hope Utwarerumono and Air turn out well =)

Isn't the AIR translation only a partial, and the translators have no intention do do the rest?
(This post was last modified: 05/01/2008 06:55 PM by Assassinator.)
05/01/2008 06:52 PM
Wolkenritter
Hey poor player!

Threads: 157
E-Pigs: 67.2304
Quote:Last time i tried, i couldn't fine ONE anywhere. Not even a trace.

The game is very old so its hard to come by as is a lot of Key's works lately. The translation patch is linked to on the that list I just presented.

Quote:Isn't the AIR translation only a partial, and the translators have no intention do do the rest?

I remember something like that. But I'm pretty sure there's a new translation group for it.

[Image: eo1_zpsjxsxwr5u.png][Image: eo2_zpsnzftucuo.png][Image: eo3_zpsh5eawp85.png]
[Image: eo4_zpskcap6b8a.png][Image: eo1u_zpsw5rdzuqs.png]
05/01/2008 07:22 PM
SkyDX
Team DreamArts

I also searched for ONE and even found it, but it was unreachable for me... O_O

It would be nice too see another Air ending too....

As for:
Assassinator Wrote:And a lot more of these are localized into English than others, by commercial companies, since the "other stuff" based ones seems to sell way better than the storyline based ones (not that surprisingly Lol).
I wonder why it is like this....  ;P

06/01/2008 02:04 AM