PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim announced
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim announced
At the September 7 "PlayStation Meeting" in New York, Sony announced two new consoles to follow up the PlayStation 4.

PS4 Slim

[Image: PS4-Slim-1.jpg]

First announced was a slim version of the PlayStation 4. The redesigned console, which  leaked several weeks before, is the same as the original spec-wise with only the optical out port sacrificed. A slightly redesigned DualShock 4 is included, with the d-pad and joysticks grey instead of black with improved grip and the light bar is now visible through the touchpad.

Also announced was HDR support, which will also be made available to the original version of the console via software update, though a 4k TV will likely be required to take advantage of the feature.

Unlike the recently launched revised rival console, the Xbox One S, the PS4 Slim will not feature an optical drive that supports Ultra 4k Blu-ray. This may be due to the console not supporting 4k as an output resolution.

The 500GB version of the console goes on sale September 15 for £259/$299. A 1TB model will also be available at a later date.

PS4 Pro

[Image: 29536240375_1eeb76fd86_z.jpg]

The big announcement was the expected updated version of the PlayStation 4. The new console features a design similar to the Slim PS4, a faster processor and improved graphics. While compatible with all existing PS4 games, it's down to developers to take advantage of the improved hardware, with some popular titles already released to receive patches to make the most of it.

PS4 Pro will support outputting resolutions up to 4K (3840 x 2160) however it is not thought to render natively at this resolution as it isn't powerful enough, instead rendering at a resolution higher than 1080p then upscaling to 4k. HDR will also be supported.

Surprisingly omitted was an optical drive that supports Ultra 4k Blu-ray. Sony did announce it will work with 4k streaming services such as Netflix and YouTube, offering that as a reason why an upgraded drive was not included, along with 'wanting to focus on games'.

It will be released November 10 for $399/£349 and will feature a 1TB hard drive as standard.

Anyone going to be splashing out on one of these new consoles? Ahaa
(This post was last modified: 11/09/2016 05:32 AM by S7*.)
11/09/2016 05:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
YoYoBallz
L4YoY0s

Threads: 644
E-Pigs: 13327.7533
RE: PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim announced
I see myself trying to get one maybe after the holiday season, 4k does not interest me nor do I even own a 4k TV or setup for 4k - For me it's mostly about having the latest and greatest from sony so I do not feel left out.  Sony really went out of ther way to note that original PS4 would not be left out as far as games go but I only see that lasting so long before the next latest and greatest game has something that is PS4 pro only, it won't happen right away but it for sure will.

No 4k drive does not bother me as for the reasons I said above, but I do indeed see how this will impact people who plan on having or have 4k bluray movies, even more so if 4k bluray movies take off to be the next mainstream source of movie media via a disc.

<Myth0s> i love boys
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I Go To Earth When Mars Is Boring.
¿ʞɔпɟ əɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ I was first EPerson to have upside down title.
(This post was last modified: 11/09/2016 09:26 AM by YoYoBallz.)
11/09/2016 09:25 AM
Vacui Natale
Too Small to Fail

Threads: 37
E-Pigs: 142.2727
I'm actually kind of glad I held out on buying a PS4. I'm definitely planning on getting a PS4 Pro around the holidays.

Spoiler:
[Image: rxkWoQK.png]
Spoiler for Awesome Bart Simpson Sig by Shady!:
[Image: GUWIMOj.png]
Spoiler for PSN:
[Image: SDNRK99.png]
17/09/2016 04:16 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
(11/09/2016 09:25 AM)YoYoBallz Wrote:  Sony really went out of ther way to note that original PS4 would not be left out as far as games go but I only see that lasting so long before the next latest and greatest game has something that is PS4 pro only, it won't happen right away but it for sure will.
As Sony have to approve every game that goes on the Playstation, in theory, they could enforce it.
I suppose it depends on how much they're willing to suffer in terms of PR, if they were to break their promise...  I think people would felt stung if they bought a new PS4 Slim, to only find that certain newer games wouldn't work on it.
03/10/2016 10:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply