Coach suspended after 161-2 win
krystabegnalie
~~~~I can cut trees!~~~

Threads: 218
E-Pigs: 79.3639
Coach suspended after 161-2 win
Quote:SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- A Southern California high school basketball coach has been suspended and faces accusations of mercilessly running up the score after his team won a game 161-2, one of the most lopsided scores in state history.

Arroyo Valley High girls' coach Michael Anderson was suspended for two games after the victory last week against Bloomington High.

Anderson said that he wasn't trying to run up the score or embarrass the opposition. His team had won four previous games by at least 70 points, and Bloomington had already lost a game by 91.

"The game just got away from me," Anderson told the San Bernardino Sun on Friday. "I didn't play any starters in the second half. I didn't expect them to be that bad. I'm not trying to embarrass anybody."

He says if he had it to do again, he'd have played only reserves after the first quarter, or, "I wouldn't play the game at all."

But Bloomington coach Dale Chung says Arroyo Valley used a full-court press for the entire first half to lead 104-1 at halftime.

"People shouldn't feel sorry for my team," Chung said. "They should feel sorry for his team, which isn't learning the game the right way."

Anderson has served one game of the suspension, a game his team won 80-19 with his son Nick at the helm. He'll return after sitting out one more.

"He's a great X's and O's coach," Chung said. "Ethically? Not so much. He knows what he did was wrong."

source: espn

so what the winning team do? just stand and watch? lol

Spoiler for don't look, might destruct your mind:
[Image: funny_math.jpg]
Spoiler for anime planet:
[Image: krystabegnalie.jpg]
18/01/2015 03:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
RE: Coach suspended after 161-2 win
Sounds like Arroyo Valley High have a great basketball team.

Telling your team to go easy is arguably as bad as letting them destroy the opposition. You can't argue 'ethics' here. As coach you'd surely have your own teams best interests first - and for me at least would mean playing our best every time.
18/01/2015 04:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kuu
Awesome

Threads: 61
E-Pigs: 33.8125
Something like this happened to my dad recently in hockey. His team was killing the other team 5-1 and so they started letting off, dumping the puck into the corner.

They actually got angry with them. The other team's goalie tried to skate off the ice saying what was the point of even having a goalie if they weren't shooting at him. The game eventually ended 9-1.

Going easy on someone is just a form of pity. No one wants pity. At the same time, being crushed, especially at high school level, can destroy a sport for someone.

[Image: B5b0K][Image: FSN6.png]
(This post was last modified: 18/01/2015 10:17 PM by Kuu.)
18/01/2015 10:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
trademark91
Unique?
Fractal Insanity

Threads: 269
E-Pigs: 105.8691
You shouldn't get in trouble for having your team play to its best. Its the other team's fault for not practicing enough or picking good players. What's the point in a sport if you have to go easy on someone? You don't see pro basketball teams letting up if they're doing well. It should be no different for high school. And the quote from the losing team's coach is ridiculous. "Not learning the game right"? Clearly they are learning the game right, right enough to be able to play so well versus all the opposition.

[Image: 531115][Image: 76561198014212040.png]
windows Proud
19/01/2015 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
One sided games are ultimately not fun for either team, but it's the way of life unfortunately.  I think it makes sense for students to be "mercilessly beaten", as harsh as it may sound, so that they can learn how to deal with it.

I would like to hear why Chung thought that the other team weren't learning the game right though.
I do suppose that they may have considered swapping players amongst the team half way through to make the game more fair.  Probably goes against sporting guidelines and there may be difficulties, but if the two coaches agreed to just give the victory for one side (half way through) and then decided to shift players around, it may have made the experience more enjoyable for everyone.
21/01/2015 04:40 AM