NSA: Our systems are so complex we can’t stop them from deleting data wanted for laws
whjms
EpiCanadian

Threads: 126
E-Pigs: 24.8045
NSA: Our systems are so complex we can’t stop them from deleting data
Quote:Washington Post

In a hearing Friday, U.S. District  for the Northern District of California Judge Jeffrey S. White reversed an emergency order he had issued earlier the same week barring the government from destroying data that the Electronic Frontier Foundation had asked be preserved for that case. The data is collected under Section 702 of the Amendments Act to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

But the NSA argued that holding onto the data would be too burdensome. "A requirement to preserve all data acquired under section 702 presents significant operational problems, only one of which is that the NSA may have to shut down all systems and databases that contain Section 702 information," wrote NSA Deputy Director Richard Ledgett in a court filing submitted to the court.

The complexity of the NSA systems meant preservation efforts might not work, he argued, but would have "an immediate, specific, and harmful impact on the national security of the United States." Part of this complexity, Ledgett said, stems from privacy restrictions placed on the programs by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.

Granted, they obviously delete a lot of data, but it's still a funny headline.
13/06/2014 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
RE: NSA: Our systems are so complex we can’t stop them from deleting d
I wish I could use that excuse.
"Retaining the infringing data on my hard drive was too difficult for me to do, your honor"
13/06/2014 05:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply