Multiseating (multipoint) with SoftXpand
Using one PC for everything and everyone
freakadell
Neophitic Presence

Threads: 1
E-Pigs: 0.7322
Multiseating (multipoint) with SoftXpand
I've been trying out Miniframe SoftXpand after i found it on the web. I have 1pc dual screen setup at home for watching movies in the livingroom on my big 24inch:D lcd with mediacenter software and another lcd in another room on the desk. Sofar it basically was one or another since using two keyboards at the same time is a pain.

So i began searching if there is some way to use one pc as two separate and came across SoftXpand.
So far i like it. You attach your screens, mice, keyboards, install it, reboot and you are ready to go. In the guide on the web it showed that on logonscreen it shows which screen you are using and can assign peripheals to it. For me it didn't work, but i think it was something in my setup. But setting it up is quite easy with the gui, one can just drag the input devices to the monitor they are used at and you are ready to go. The advantages for me is to have one pc somewhere its noise doesn't bother and run the cables to livingroom, bedroom etc and you can use your pc for what you can think up.

I try to take few pics also to illustrate my setup.

For those thinking about how i am using my screens on separate rooms i am using HDMI and USB extenders. HDMI powered extender i got from Ebay, and can be used to extend the signal by using two Cat5/6 cables (i have about 12meters of distance), USB is also extended via Cat5.
(This post was last modified: 20/03/2012 12:16 AM by freakadell.)
19/03/2012 12:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
RE: Multiseating (multipoint) with SoftXpand
Interesting way to set things up - sounds a bit of a cable mess, but tis a cheap way to do things :P
20/03/2012 12:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
freakadell
Neophitic Presence

Threads: 1
E-Pigs: 0.7322
(20/03/2012 12:07 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Interesting way to set things up - sounds a bit of a cable mess, but tis a cheap way to do things :P

Exactly. At first i just needed/wanted to move my pc from the bedroom cause it made too much noise, but still i wanted to watch movies and shows in bed. So i put the pc to spare room and i was happy. Then i thought why not  to use the same pc for livingroom tv also and then set everything up, just little drilling trough the walls and some cabling and i got quite reliable and cheap setup.
20/03/2012 12:20 AM
yairf_miniframe
Neophitic Presence

Threads: 0
E-Pigs: 0.7911
Hi
I was asked what software works best for home-media-center with SoftXpand.
Wee tried XBMC and Boxee (my personal favorite), with good results. For some reason, MCE doesn't work in this configuration.
Thanks,
Yair
20/03/2012 03:01 AM