New Phone
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
RE: New Phone
Interesting.

Grr, can't set up proxies on phone - spent hours trying yesterday before giving up.  Tried "reverse USB tethering", where I tether USB and try to get the phone to proxy through the computer.
Couldn't get it to work.  Can access a web server running on the PC from phone, so TCP connections are working fine, but proxy won't work for some reason.  Tried with 3 different apps, ProxyDroid, AutoProxy and TransProxy, but all same result.  I believe they just modify iptables rules, so perhaps something messed up with my iptables.  I did notice that AutoProxy says that no network's connected when I try to connect to the proxy.

...which led me to pulling out the wireless router I happen to have.  Unfortunately, internet at my home is through a 3G USB modem, so I can't plug it into the router, so I have to still go through a proxy.  Same result.
Don't know why getting a proxy to work is so annoying.  Even the PSP worked fine through the proxy.

Then it came to me that, since I'm using wireless internet anyway, I may as well switch out the SIM from the USB modem into the phone (since that one has 5GB/mo, whilst my phone has 200MB/mo).  Then I realised that the phone was locked to the carrier (but they provide free unlocking).  So go to website, enter in IMEI and try to unlock, but it says they can't find the IMEI in their database.  double you tee eff?
Seems like I'm being forced to download through this crappy 3G 200MB/mo plan.

Also, I noticed some of my music is giving weird 'clipping' artefacts.  Doesn't seem to occur in DicePlayer, which is using a software decoder, so there's definitely something up with the stock music player.  Music is encoded in HE-AAC, so I might try other formats when I get home.  The problem is either in the hardware decoder or the stock player software.
double you tee eff's with all this codec phail anyway?  MKVs lag, H.264 streams have screwed seeking, and now HE-AAC files have clipping artefacts...

Also really disappointed in the soft buttons feature in the Galaxy Nexus.  May sound cool, but they're practically permanently on the screen, and they don't really seem to be customisable at all.  Only disappear when watching videos, but even tapping the screen anywhere brings them back up again (even if you lock controls in the video player app).
It'd be nice if wee could at least hide them more permanently (and perhaps bring them back by either tapping down the bottom of the screen, or the menu that comes up when you hold down the power button).
(This post was last modified: 09/01/2012 05:19 PM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
09/01/2012 05:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
RE: New Phone
Looked through some source files and found this:
Quote:./frameworks/base/packages/SystemUI/src/com/android/systemui/usb/UsbDisconnectedReceiver.java
./frameworks/base/packages/SystemUI/src/com/android/systemui/usb/UsbPermissionActivity.java
./frameworks/base/packages/SystemUI/src/com/android/systemui/LoadAverageService.java
./frameworks/base/packages/SystemUI/src/com/android/systemui/Nyandroid.java
Googling it, turns up this: http://www.androidauthority.com/nyandroi...ich-33085/

Interesting.
19/01/2012 05:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply