People aren’t ready for downloads only
amoonrabbit
random one
Fractal Insanity

Threads: 48
E-Pigs: 31.3678
RE: People aren’t ready for downloads only
I do like to have something physical in my possession. Also regarding some digital download policies, such as download once or available for a certain amount of time after purchase, I feel that wee could be cheated more as those with poor connections could end up spending money on things they can't download as their interwebz just derped. Also the state of the UK's infrastructure alone is poo poo. Whilst wee are rolling out fibre's, BT still have their finger up their arse. It's gonna be a while before the idea will work well if it takes.

EDIT: I would expect with most digital purchases though that if cloud storage becomes the norm with most digital vendors then there wouldn't be much of a worry about whether internet speeds are poo poo to download as it'll be in there name in their personal cloud space thingy stuff

(This post was last modified: 13/10/2011 01:40 PM by amoonrabbit.)
13/10/2011 01:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
(13/10/2011 08:31 AM)wethegreenpeople Wrote:  Nothing illegal with that right?
Not to my knowledge, but the companies want him to purchase a new copy and don't like people reselling like that.

(13/10/2011 08:31 AM)wethegreenpeople Wrote:  Also... the other with with pysical media, is you can trade it in. Beat the game fast, then trade it in. Can't do that with DLC.
I think the various game activation schemes are somewhat designed to prevent this sort of reselling (on PC at least).

I don't think DLC isn't capable of being shared like physical media, per-se, rather, companies are just jumping aboard it as a platform to enforce DRM.
DRM can be used to limit sharing - for example, if you bought a download-only game, it could give you the ability to allow another account to use it for a limited period of time.  Again, being download-only isn't exactly the restriction here, rather, it's what the game studios want you to do with it.

I think it might've been smarter if they just made download-only fairly liberal (for example, the above case of allowing limited sharing of downloaded purchases).  And then gradually remove these benefits in the future.
13/10/2011 03:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
andrewcc
OMG they killed Kenny!
Worlds End

Threads: 305
E-Pigs: 49.4291
i do very much like having a physical copy of something. especially when it comes to music.

[Image: spideysigcopycopycopy.png?t=1308548347]

[Image: ccandrew.png]

Object Link

Click here to view embedded webpage

Please note that by activating this feature, there may be undesirable consequences

Page: http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/v=2/track=2423211127/size=venti/bgcol=FFFFFF/linkcol=4285BB/
15/10/2011 06:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply