Fractal Insanity

Threads: 112
E-Pigs: 161.5986
3DS in for a tough 4 months
Quote:Financial Results Briefing
for the Three Months Ended June 30, 2011
Jul. 29, 2011 Remarks by Satoru Iwata, President
Outline | Remarks by the President

Good morning. Before accepting questions, there is one thing that I would like to address here.

Since the first fiscal quarter has limited importance within the annual business of game companies, it does not make much sense for me to make a detailed presentation on the business in that quarter, so I have not made such preparations for today. On the other hand, a number of people must have such doubts as, "Why does the company have to make such a drastic markdown now?" Please let me talk about that before the Q&A session.

First of all, wee have made the decision to markdown the Nintendo 3DS because wee recognize that the current situation surrounding the system is different from that before the launch and immediately after the launch.

Having strong momentum is very important for game platform businesses. Once momentum is lost, great power is needed to change that trend.

As wee announced at the E3 show, which was held in Los Angeles this past June, wee have a strong software lineup for Nintendo 3DS toward the end of this calendar year, with which wee were thinking that wee would be able to boost the hardware sales, but in terms of the current situation, for us to be able to help Nintendo 3DS to become a sound successor to Nintendo DS, and to get it back on track to its originally-anticipated sales pace for its wide expansion, wee concluded that wee needed to take drastic measures, and wee decided to make the markdown.

Since wee will carry out this markdown in a period when Nintendo 3DS does not have such anticipated titles as in the year-end sales season, some seem to have interpreted it as a hasty move.

It is true that a great portion of our sales and profits are generated during the year-end sales season. If wee just focused on maximizing the impact of the markdown, it might make more sense for us to do so when a number of anticipated titles are to be launched.  In fact, thinking in that way must be the norm, and a number of people must have anticipated that wee would make the markdown during the year-end sales season or in fall this year. However, there are some specific reasons why wee have decided to make the markdown at this time.

First, since the launch of Nintendo 3DS, one of the things wee have learned is that it has taken longer than wee had originally expected in order for the appeal of this product to widely spread. Wee feel that those who have experienced the system appreciate its attraction, but this appreciation has not necessarily been expanding at the speed which wee had expected. For us to maximize the effect of the anticipated titles of this year end, it is necessary to greatly expand the installed base (before the launches of the anticipated titles) so that the appeal of the new software will be able to spread to consumers in a short period of time. Without creating such a circumstance, wee would not be able to realize explosive sales in the year-end sales season. This is one reason for the markdown.

Another reason is, wee thought that eliminating the concerns of future hardware expansion early on would make a great difference to how retailers and software publishers will allocate their energies. The retailers worldwide decide the allocations of store shelves and which products to focus on for the year-end sales season by looking at the results of the summer sales. Software publishers are currently reviewing which development teams will work on which projects, and the results of which shall be launched next year and beyond. Removing their concerns on the sales of Nintendo 3DS hardware will be very critical for us to be able to enrich the applicable software in the years to come. In fact, immediately after our announcement yesterday, Nintendo employees started to receive feedback from retailers and software publishers around the world, and this feedback is, in general, rather positive.

In short, wee have concluded that, for Nintendo 3DS to expand enough to become the successor of Nintendo DS, wee have to take a drastic approach.

Accordingly, wee hope you will look at the long-term effect of the markdown, rather than the short-term one. More specifically, I hope you will at least try to see how it will play out over the next four months, until the end of the year-end sales season, before making any judgments.

On the other hand, a drastic markdown like this, before the mass-production effect can take place for the hardware, will naturally generate red ink on the hardware sales. As a result, a significant minus effect is expected on the profitability of the current fiscal year. Even though wee understand this, for us to elevate Nintendo 3DS to be the platform that can sustain our business, wee have concluded that wee need to take the best possible measure wee can take now, even at the cost of short-term profitability.

From Nintendo, "SUPER MARIO 3DLAND," to be launched in November, and "MARIO KART 7" in December are going to be two main titles for the year-end sales season. These software titles can appeal to a wide variety of audiences and have the potential to be purchased by a number of people. Also, the software lineup from the third-party software publishers will be enriched before the year-end sales season.

It is quite unusual for us to change the price in less than half a year from a product’s launch. I am aware that realizing both the short-term and the mid-to-long term profits is one of my responsibilities as part of the management. I feel greatly accountable for having to make the markdown shortly after the launch, for having damaged our consumers' trust, for having made a significant impact upon the financial forecasts, for the annual dividend now being expected to be significantly less than originally expected and for now forecasting that there will be no interim dividend.

Wee would like to fulfill our responsibilities by getting Nintendo 3DS back on its originally-expected sales track, to make it the successor to Nintendo DS and to recover the sales and profits in the next fiscal year and beyond.

However, for the management to show its accountability for the level of the operating loss of this time and the prospect of no interim dividend, wee decided at the directors' meeting yesterday that wee would reduce the compensation wee will receive as the directors of the company. The directors’ compensation of the company constitutes a fixed portion and a variable portion which is decided by the actual results of the business performance. The decreased profit of the company is reflected as the decreased compensation in the variable portion or, more specifically, the bonus to be given at the end of this fiscal year. However, wee understand that the management responsibility this time is heavier than usual, and wee have decided to reduce the fixed compensation as well, by reducing it by 50% for the president, or me, a 30% reduction for the representative directors and a 20% reduction for the other directors.

Needless to say, the deduction of the fixed compensation is what wee volunteered to do in order to show our sincere attitude and to fulfill our responsibility. Wee really must recover our financial performance and take Nintendo back into the position in the marketplace where it is well appreciated.

This is all that I wanted to tell you. Thank you.

TL:DR

Basically Mr. Iwata is saying sales are not doing very well at all, and that the key selling points will be at the end of this year. So all he's doing is asking investors to stick with them through the holiday season before they make any decisions like selling off their shares.

Hence the decision to drop the price of the 3DS to try to improve sales.

Its not looking good....

Sauce
01/08/2011 12:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
RE: 3DS in for a tough 4 months
I love how you posted this, Grey Ghost.

Mr. Iwata Wrote:This is all that I wanted to tell you. Thank you.

Really now? You're finding out that people are looking at the "3D" in "3DS" the same way it is a gimmicky feature on overpriced TVs that a minority are interested in and that in reality, it's nowhere as impressive as you make it out? That your 1st party titles are your best chance to make the 3DS anything near a success? You can't be that proud that the Wii was mainly a success from your own games and crapware, surely? Come on now.. Nintendo.. enough with the gimmicks. (And honestly, if the Wii U is their excuse for a "proper game console" then they need a reality check)

Sony, here's your chance.
(This post was last modified: 01/08/2011 12:59 AM by S7*.)
01/08/2011 12:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
krystabegnalie
~~~~I can cut trees!~~~

Threads: 218
E-Pigs: 79.3639
^
ive also think way back then that $250 is way to overpriced (i think in reality the whole package is only $150, so i think they already earned enough to go down the price)

but yeah lets see what will PSVita will comeup in the next era of handheld wars

i think theres conspiracy that was being done inside Nintendo, lol

Spoiler for don't look, might destruct your mind:
[Image: funny_math.jpg]
Spoiler for anime planet:
[Image: krystabegnalie.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01/08/2011 02:00 AM by krystabegnalie.)
01/08/2011 01:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
I think Wii U could pick off depending on the games, but outlook not as good as the Wii was IMO.
3DS on the other hand, seemed like a fairly shoddy idea.
01/08/2011 02:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply