QBASIC HEARD OF IT OR USE IT?
diego
poof

Threads: 264
E-Pigs: 37.4012
RE: QBASIC HEARD OF IT OR USE IT?
bboy_sonik Wrote:QBASIC.. i started using BASIC (the original itteration of it) on my Amiga as a child. I mate a horse racing game.

Visual Basic is actually nothing like QBASIC or BASIC. amzter, check our DarkBASIC. Think QBASIC... 10 years newer, and OpenGL. It was an expansion of BASIC/QBASIC for the modern gaming industry. But its not just for games.

I'm not a veteran programmer, but i know BASIC like the back of my hand. And please, don't say its a programming language. It's an INERPRETED SCRIPTING LANGUAGE technically. Saying its a programming language won't be friendly to noobies... cause they think its a good beginner language for starting REAL programming but its NOT. Its called BASIC for a reason... lol well its really {Quick} Beginners All Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. But its just too archaic for todays modern requirements in software, if you want to do anything revolutionary/fancy anyway. Unless you want to make games in DarkBASIC :P

Yeah I have used both aswell. (even though I remember what wee did in Qbasic was 'basic' ASCII art ie. a tree. a rocket. and so on. . .)
Both of these programs are VERY different

I actually prefer VB.

[Image: cce6aa9e-c40c-4ae7-aebe-d7780d6fc009.gif]
14/12/2007 03:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bboy_sonik
Byeeeeeeeeee

Threads: 8
E-Pigs: 2.8344
Given my basic/limited knowledge of software design in general, i do agree Zinga (with the parts I understand). BASIC was originally designed to be an entry level language to newbie programmers As far as I know, but many developers i know say its a real bad way to start for noobies - simply because it is old and so different to "more useful/practical" modern languages of today. Still, can't hurt to brush up on history - and to get familiar with simple software development techniques/syntax/concepts. Just don't stick with it, no reason to master QBASIC at all!

I thought that the difference between scripting and programming is just that programming is more 'low-level', it can directly interface with a hardware/software on the fly for example... in Win32 terms; this would be the  Hardware Abstraction Layer/Win32 API or whatever it is (repectively). And scripting is actually just a bunch of internal calculations being manipulated graphically to the GUI/Console?

I'm kind of crapping on it seems. I'm probably wrong, I didn't do any software courses so im kind of just saying what ive always thought/gathered from reading random stuff...

In regards to that, I've started learning C++ for PSP development, does anyone have pointers for good eBooks/Books/guides for PSP-biased programming, if they exist? No i don't want LUA, i hope to evolve to PRX coding and such over the next year or more.... i don't want to start a convo here to go off topic and don't really want to create a new thread so if anyone wants to PM me I'll be much thankful :) cheers in advance.

ON TOPIC, check out the link http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/ for some quick and interesting information :)   QBASIC was actually pretty powerful, i remember seeing a full-blown OS (more like a GUI for DOS actually) that supported its own system of software, had an SDK for internal programming and such... it was nucking futs. Too bad i can't remember what it's called. Fairly popular though in the regarded scene, and rather interesting to those who want to see what QBASIC dev's wasted so much of their time on (lol) don't get me wrong, i have much respect for BASIC. OK sorry for my babbling, I won't bother you anymore :P

Peace.
14/12/2007 09:15 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
bboy_sonik Wrote:but many developers i know say its a real bad way to start for noobies - simply because it is old and so different to "more useful/practical" modern languages of today.
I don't know about the old BASIC languages.  From what I've seen from VB, I'd disagree.
Just because it doesn't follow C syntax, like half the other languages out there do, doesn't mean that you shouldn't start with it.
VB has it's quirks and oddities, but for a beginner, these are of little importance.

bboy_sonik Wrote:I thought that the difference between scripting and programming is just that programming is more 'low-level', it can directly interface with a hardware/software on the fly for example... in Win32 terms; this would be the  Hardware Abstraction Layer/Win32 API or whatever it is (repectively). And scripting is actually just a bunch of internal calculations being manipulated graphically to the GUI/Console?
In general, scripting is used for more high level tasks, but can you define a barrier?
I'm not totally sure, but I believe more widely:
Scripting » Interpreted
Programming Language » Compiled

Scripts can be made to access hardware, or API or whatever.
Visual Basic and Java are "semi-compiled", but since they're compiled, it's considered a programming language, as you cannot use techniques available in scripting languages (ie eval()).

In Windows, I don't think Windows actually lets any application touch the hardware, other than drivers.
14/12/2007 09:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bboy_sonik
Byeeeeeeeeee

Threads: 8
E-Pigs: 2.8344
Yeah Zinga, that's exactly what i was trying to say actually - so theirs your barrier :)

QBASIC/BASIC scripts, when 'compiled', actually arn't. It has the script compressed in the executable file, with the interpreter bundled in there.

And in regards to others saying to me not recommending it as a beginner language, i think they were biased because BASIC and QBASIC are simply old, and VisualBasic is being phased out - and only Win32 compatible and not easily cross-platform ported. If it's even able to be ported to say... NATIVE unix at all (without some kind of virtualization)?

Anyway.... yes I agree Zinga, your mastery has left me recoiling in dumbfoundedness. Hehe.
15/12/2007 11:08 PM