Windows 7 or Windows Vista
SkyDX
Guardian of the Shining Sky
Team DreamArts

Threads: 305
E-Pigs: 173.5065
RE: Windows 7 or Windows Vista
7 /thread

(22/08/2010 09:43 PM)1-R Wrote:  Faster, easy to use, customizable, less UAC (just disable it), hardly any virus(haven't encountered one) and just better than the memory hog vista. :\

Just to avoid confusion, ever since Vista, the more RAM a OS uses the better! most people don't know or believe this^^

Basically Vistas memory management is way more advanced then XPs and worked very well (after a few patches shortly after release)

You know, I was also one of the people who thought, OS uses less RAM = better, but after someone at AeroXP carefully explained it to me, I came to the logic assumption that empty RAM = wasted RAM, the more RAM a OS can use, the better it will run.

Games and memory demanding apps are no problem because Vista and 7 can unload memory very fast thus creating no bottleneck^^

And as a slight addon to my post, I don't know why all the Vista bashing happens again, ever after the Virtual Memory Addressing patch, my Vista used to run better then XP.

[Image: EgGYGSX.png]
TwitterMyAnimeList lastFMBlogdeviantART

Spoiler for Old Rainbow Sounds sig^^:
[Image: 6yWvk.png]
23/08/2010 02:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Assassinator

Threads: 176
E-Pigs: 140.8363
Windows 7.  Pretty much better in everything.

(23/08/2010 02:36 AM)SkyDX Wrote:  And as a slight addon to my post, I don't know why all the Vista bashing happens again, ever after the Virtual Memory Addressing patch, my Vista used to run better then XP.

How the Vista bashing started was mainly because Vista takes a whole lot more system resources to run for very little benefit (EDIT: Oh, also UAC, that pissed people off no end too).

Right now you must be thinking... anyone who has a PC that isn't an ancient piece of poo poo should be able to run Vista no problems...  But think back to when Vista was just released (2006)... pretty much EVERYONE had a PC which was an "ancient piece of poo poo".

Nowadays, I'm on an overclocked quad CPU with 4GB of RAM.  I can run Windows 7 (or any other OS for that matter) no problems.  However, I remember back then a few years ago, I was sitting on a 1.6Ghz laptop with 500MB of RAM (later upgraded to 1GB).  It came with Vista, and that JUST DIDN'T WORK, had to sacrifice my legitimately paid for Vista so I can install pirated non-geniune XP.

So yeah, Vista ran shit back then, and people raged.  As for now, Windows 7 uses less resources, and is better at the same time, so still no reason to use Vista.

(23/08/2010 02:36 AM)SkyDX Wrote:  Just to avoid confusion, ever since Vista, the more RAM a OS uses the better! most people don't know or believe this^^

You know, I was also one of the people who thought, OS uses less RAM = better, but after someone at AeroXP carefully explained it to me, I came to the logic assumption that empty RAM = wasted RAM, the more RAM a OS can use, the better it will run.

Games and memory demanding apps are no problem because Vista and 7 can unload memory very fast thus creating no bottleneck^^

"The higher GPU requirements a game needs, the better"?

Depends on your hardware position.  Any computer enthusiast would say yes, with very similar reason as yours.  But what if you didn't have a high end GPU?  Welcome to a world of lag.
(This post was last modified: 23/08/2010 05:50 AM by Assassinator.)
23/08/2010 05:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Slushba132
BustyLoli-Chan

Threads: 508
E-Pigs: 73.1299
Well essentially I always turn UAC off because I'm not an idiot. And I love the look and feel and intuitiveness of vista I guess. In the end I'm just asking if it's worth it to install it over vista Oo

23/08/2010 11:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SkyDX
Guardian of the Shining Sky
Team DreamArts

Threads: 305
E-Pigs: 173.5065
You have a point Assasinator, the weakest PC I had running with Vista:

Pentium 4 3.0ghz HT
512MB DDR1 RAM
AGP RADEON 9800PRO 128mb

And this PC ran Vista fairly smooth, even games like COD4.

But if you go even weaker I can see problems arise....

Objection noticed and accepted^^

[Image: EgGYGSX.png]
TwitterMyAnimeList lastFMBlogdeviantART

Spoiler for Old Rainbow Sounds sig^^:
[Image: 6yWvk.png]
23/08/2010 11:55 AM
Cirehpsa
Let's finger this out.
Fractal Insanity

Threads: 63
E-Pigs: 724.9902
mine plays blueray copies with a slight lag every 45minutes or so..
has hddvd drive  in it Facepalm
honestly though... for me, i have 3 comps running vista and 2 on se7en and don't see any real difference... except if your computer is spoon you'll want se7en or xp.

[Image: VCvmsjM.gif][Image: DecdMVG.gif][Image: glI7KKK.gif][Image: OJilHSf.gif]
(This post was last modified: 23/08/2010 12:10 PM by Cirehpsa.)
23/08/2010 12:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Slushba132
BustyLoli-Chan

Threads: 508
E-Pigs: 73.1299
I'm really not worried about my computer, it's a laptop and it doesn't run games or anything, it's pretty new and has decent stats in my opinion. (it fails in the graphics card department, but it's a laptop after all)

23/08/2010 01:19 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
(23/08/2010 02:36 AM)SkyDX Wrote:  You know, I was also one of the people who thought, OS uses less RAM = better, but after someone at AeroXP carefully explained it to me, I came to the logic assumption that empty RAM = wasted RAM, the more RAM a OS can use, the better it will run.

That's what most people who seem to have limited understanding of things think.

The reality is, even without Vista's cache, it's still a massive RAM hog (disable Superfetch, and perform forced deallocations and see for yourself).
Yes, RAM perhaps sits there idle doing nothing, however, Vista's caching strategy is pretty horrible.  One thing I really hated was that when I quit a memory hogging application (like a game), Vista's Superfetch would immediately kick in and thrash the HDD for a few minutes.  In fact, Vista seemed to thrash the HDD every now and then regardless of what I was doing, really annoying.
Unloading memory is fast, but reading from HDD isn't, and it also suffers the problem that such I/O requests cannot be done in parallel with anything else (try performing two IO operations on the same HDD at once, it'll be more than twice as slow).
23/08/2010 04:18 PM