Group project for hacking FFI
Sparker
Super Lame Productions

Threads: 549
E-Pigs: 187.8892
FFI Hacking project
Okay so I might as well get this started.
Wee'll use FFhackster (1.0  to be precise, if there's a newer version, I haven't been alerted)

Dungeons
This part can be done individually, simply put, wee work individually to create rooms.
How wee can do this is wee are assigned to create over a dungeon and export the file and send it to the project leader (which will likely be me in this case) and I'll import it into the final project. The ROM you use shouldn't matter.
Here's a screen shot of the Standard Map editor.
[Image: mapno.png]
Now there's a lot of complicated stuff (well maybe not really) to explain but the basic I wanted to explain is that you see all the doors and treasure chests? They may all look the same but they do different things. Like how all the doors in a town look the same but they take you to a different shop.
As for everything else to explain, it's really all a learn as you try it yourself thing.
Graphics
These can be also be done individually, hell you might not even need the editor to do this.
the plan is that people will create an image of graphics they make and send me a picture and then I'll copy it pixel by pixel (ugh) into the final product. If you did use the editor however, you can export it and send it to me.
The palette
[Image: pallette.png]
Characters
[Image: battleq.png]
These are the battle sprites
From the left they are, standing, stepping forward, swinging arm back when swinging weapon, casting/victory/item, low on HP/bad status, dead.
There's a few limits I have to explain first though.
Notice the red square of the tile I have selected?
You see the stepping forward and stand still use the same tiles for the 4 x 4 top half.
Under palette you can see a few selectable dots. These are what palette they use in fact wee're limited to 3 colors of two palettes, 3 and 4 cannot be used. 3 is taken by the cursor which is also used when a character has been turned to stone while the fourth one changes at random times.
[Image: overworldchara.png]
These are the over world sprites (the editor just calls them mapman) There's a few limits here too. The black and skin colors are shared for everyone and you shouldn't change these. Also while the sprite has a total of 4 colors, you can see that the top haf uses it's own palette from the bottom. Lastly, the up and down walking just mirrors the sprite to create a walking effect however the top half remains the same. This can get annoying when or if you create some asymmetrical characteristic
Monsters
[Image: monstersr.png]
Let's just worry about the graphical standpoint for this part for now, this means you shouldn't worry about the palette too much.
On the screen shot you can see two small enemies. These enemies can fit up to a maximum of 9 on screen. On the bottom there are two larger enemies and these can only fit up to 4 one screen at once, or 2 large enemies with 6 small ones in front.
And the fiends and chaos though can only fit in ones. Speaking of them, their graphics are different to edit. They can have two palettes.
[Image: fiend.png]
Also I currently have the empty space selected. It makes it seem like you're limited to what you can edit but that's what the re-palette and re-shape options are for. They're a little hard to explain and you'd probably learn better if you try it for yourself.
Now I'll explain all the more complicated stuff next time, if you have questions ask me.

Anyway, here's a list of all the maps (as the editor calls them by default).
Just sign up for what you want to change and tell me what you plan on changing it to
    Corneria
    Provoka
    Elfland
    Melmond
    Cresent Lake
    Gaia
    Onrac
    Leifen
    Coneria Castle 1F
    Elfland Castle
    Northwest Castle
    Castle of Ordeals 1F
    Temple of Fiends
    Earth Cave B1
    Gurgu Volcano B1
    Ice Cave B1
    Cardia
    Bahamut's Room B1
    Waterfall
    Dwarf Cave
    Matoya's Cave
    Sarda's Cave
    Marsh Cave B1
    Mirage Tower 1F
    Coneria Castle 2F
    Castle of Ordeal 2F
    Castle of Ordeal 3F
    Marsh Cave B2
    Marsh Cave B3
    Earth Cave B2
    Earth Cave B3
    Earth Cave Before
    Earth Cave B5
    Gurgu Volcano B2
    Gurgu Volcano B3
    Gurgu Volcano Before
    Gurgu Volcano B5
    Ice Cave B2
    Ice Cave B3
    Bahamut's Room B2
    Mirage Tower 2F
    Mirage Tower 3F
    Sea Shrine B5
    Sea Shrine Before
    Sea Shrine B3
    Sea Shrine B2
    Sea Shrine B1
    Sky Palace 1F
    Sky Palace 2F
    Sky Palace 3F
    Sky Palace 4F
    Sky Palace 5F
    Temple of Fiends 1F
    Temple of Fiends 2F
    Temple Fiends 3F
    Temple Fiends-Earth
    Temple Fiends-Fire
    Temple Fiends-Water
    Temple Fiends-Air
    Temple Fiends-Chaos
    Titan's Tunnel

And finally, things to be discussed as a group
Classes
There are 6 classes in total which promote later into 6 upgrade versions of their class.
There are some characteristics that cannot be changed (in my power) I'll mention (some of) these as I go.
Obviously wee plan on making original classes right >_>

Fighter (cannot learn magic*)
Theif (cannot learn magic*)
Black Belt (improves without equipment and there's just seriously a lot glitches with him (and the rest of the game))
Red Mage
White Mage
Black Mage

Now for the promoted classes

Knight (cannot learn spells above lvl 3**)
Ninja (cannot learn spells above lvl 4**)
Master (see black belt)
Red Wizard
White Wizard
Black Wizard

*(Actually they might be able to use spells, they just they their MP locked out until they promote but this can be easily changed)
**(Now I have no idea how the MP growth works in this, it can be edited but last time I tried, things got messy)
The scenario
Not sure how wee'll approach this
Monsters and Monster parties
There are 128 monsters, that's all I'll say for now.
More details under the monster section under graphics.
Legal Regulations
Remember that Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echos incident? um yeah >_>; Although I find it unlikely to happen to us
After laying out all this, I find this could be more complicated than I thought and I seriously doubt it'll get anywhere.

(This post was last modified: 20/07/2010 11:36 AM by Sparker.)
20/07/2010 10:37 AM
Find all posts by this user
Assassinator

Threads: 176
E-Pigs: 140.8363
RE: FFI Hacking project
(20/07/2010 10:37 AM)Sparker Wrote:  After laying out all this, I find this could be more complicated than I thought and I seriously doubt it'll get anywhere.

Yeah, sounds like :EFFORT:.
20/07/2010 10:52 PM
Sparker
Super Lame Productions

Threads: 549
E-Pigs: 187.8892
RE: Group project for hacking FFI
So uh, I decided to start my own project on my own. While I rather have this one finished on my own. Anyone still interested in this?

(This post was last modified: 19/01/2011 01:05 PM by Sparker.)
19/01/2011 12:59 PM