[Solved] Problem with IPX connection for Red Alert 2
krystabegnalie
~~~~I can cut trees!~~~

Threads: 218
E-Pigs: 79.3639
[Solved] Problem with IPX connection for Red Alert 2
Ive recently playing lan games over a TCP/IP connection like warcraft 3 without problems, but when ive tested it to red alert 2 which using ipx protocol, wee can't get see each other in the network lobby, or sometimes i can see the other player, but then he get disappear. Ive checked the ipx protocol in the lan settings, and they have both installed. I've been using crossover cable for lan connection, and it have no problem connecting with lan games using TCP/IP connection.

So what may be the solution regarding to ipx connection? wee really like to play red-alert 2 over lan

edit: i have already found the solution and it works great with my Windows xp laptop, now wee can now play over lan using crosscable. Hihi

ive follow this instruction for configuring ipx connection

Quote:To install the IPX protocol on your network connection, do the following on each computer:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections
[Image: Control-Panel_2.jpg]

Find your Local Area Connection. This is the network card that you've plugged your LAN cable into, it's usually just named "Local Area Connection."
[Image: Network-Connections_2.jpg]

Now, right-click your Local Area Connection and select Properties.
[Image: LAN-Properties_2.jpg]

If "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" isn't listed, then wee need to install it.

Click "Install..." then select Protocol, then click "Add..."
[Image: Network-Protocol-Install_2.jpg]

You should see NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol listed (I already have it installed). Select it and click "OK".

Return to the Property page, you should now see the new protocol listed just above "TCP/IP."

Select it and click "Properties"
[Image: IPX-Properties_2.jpg]

For the field "Frame Type" select "802.2" and for Network Number use "00000001"

Click OK and Close to exit out of the dialogs.
What wee've just done is added the IPX protocol to your network connection. If you don't add this, Red Alert 2 will not go to the Network page when you click Network, it will bring you back to the Main Menu.

Step 3: Configuring RA2

Start up Red Alert 2.

Click Options and then Network

For Network Adapter, select the one that begins with "00 00 00 01" and then a bunch of numbers and letters. That's your Local Area Connection.

For "Destination Network" type in "00.00.00.01"
[Image: RA2-Network-Settings_2.jpg]

Click Back and Back again to return to the Main Menu screen. Now click Network to go to the Network Lobby. Stay there. Repeat all of the above steps on the second/third/fourth/etc. computer. Once all is said and done, you should all see each other in the Network Lobby.

If you don't see each other

If you don't see each other, make sure you're all connected through the hub or switch. Make sure all the "Network Number" fields for the IPX protocol are the same. Make sure no one is accidentally connecting to your wireless network.
Try disabling your firewall. I don’t use Windows XP Firewall when I play, so the wireless issue was a strange one. However, if you are using wired ethernet, make sure to disable any Internet Security or Firewall programs.
These were the settings and conditions under which wee played successfully. You may not even have to edit the Properties of the IPX protocol if you are connected through a switch. I just made them the same just in case, I didn't test it using default settings. I think it may have to do with your router, that's why I said to connect them to a switch or hub.
Anyway, I hope this helps people in the future!
Update: A lot of people hit this page, so I’ve added pictures to help!

source: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/ayubx003/divideb...ver_l.html

Spoiler for don't look, might destruct your mind:
[Image: funny_math.jpg]
Spoiler for anime planet:
[Image: krystabegnalie.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 25/09/2009 12:33 AM by krystabegnalie.)
23/09/2009 09:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SchmilK
Noob

Threads: 359
E-Pigs: 82.0266
RE: Problem with IPX connection for Red Alert 2
do you have netbios listed in network config?

limneosgreen Wrote:Take my advice, don't try to install custom themes ... it's possible to brick ur psp.. why just don't change wallpaper
23/09/2009 10:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grey Ghost
Still kicking!
Fractal Insanity

Threads: 112
E-Pigs: 161.5986
completely off topic but needs to be said: RED ALERT ROCKS!!!

im a big fan of the first one :D
23/09/2009 10:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
krystabegnalie
~~~~I can cut trees!~~~

SchmilK Wrote:do you have netbios listed in network config?

yes both laptop installed with netbios driver and check their Frame Type both set to Auto, I've tried to manual set it but don't know what is the correct configuration. as some say 802.2 works fine but i have not yet use it

the weird thing is that wee can see both players in the lobby, but my laptop can only create game but the other pc can't connect (and it get's hang), then after a while one player will be out in the lobby

(This post was last modified: 23/09/2009 11:08 PM by krystabegnalie.)
23/09/2009 11:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
boogschd
boogyman
Worlds End

Threads: 90
E-Pigs: 43.6852
sometimes disabling the firewall works :/

its not enough to just add an exception

. worked for me with warcraft 3 over hamachi network
23/09/2009 11:26 PM
krystabegnalie
~~~~I can cut trees!~~~

boogschd Wrote:sometimes disabling the firewall works :/

its not enough to just add an exception

. worked for me with warcraft 3 over hamachi network

yes all firewalls are disable, even my antivirus has been disabled, and i can connect in warcraft 3 over lan with no problems.

but as red alert uses ipx connection, i still having problem seeing each player in the lobby

23/09/2009 11:45 PM