Multiseating Windows
PSPkiller
*The Sweaty Indian/Welsh Guy*

Threads: 251
E-Pigs: 53.7911
RE: Multiseating Windows
I've played that with my dad... I shutdown his computer, he shuts down mine. I'm prepared now with a batch script...

[Insert Signature Here]
11/06/2009 07:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
feinicks Wrote:
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:
Method Wrote:Good for pranking lol
Lol, not sure how that would work...  If you've already got networked computers, I don't think this helps (unless you need even more computers but are unwilling to buy any more).

I can think of a game...

who can type
"shutdown /t 1"
and "shutdown -a"
faster...
No need.  Just go Start » Shutdown - it'll affect both "computers".
11/06/2009 05:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
yairf_miniframe
Neophitic Presence

Threads: 0
E-Pigs: 0.7911
Hi all
This is Yair of MiniFrame, the makers of SoftXpand.
Sorry for the shameless plug, I just ran into this thread and wanted to let you know that SoftXpand 2011 Duo for 2 users, targeted at home-users, runs on Windows-7, 32 and 64-bit versions, and will support most applications including high-end stuff such as video editing, graphic design and gaming.
You can download a free trial version from our website as well as download.com and soon other popular download sites.
For readers of this forum, if you post a picture of your Duo setup, wee'll give you a free, unlimited license. Offer is valid throughout March 2012.
Thanks,
Yair
Yairf at miniframe dot com.
(This post was last modified: 07/03/2012 09:45 AM by yairf_miniframe.)
07/03/2012 09:44 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
Nice, thanks for the heads up!
I've pretty much given up on multiseating by now - have got a new PC since then.
But I'm always intrigued by the concept of it.  New version supports both 32 and 64 bit flavours of Windows 7 it appears, so I might give it a try when I get some time.
Heh, could always be a quick backup solution should I want to multiplayer something when someone comes over.  Have two monitors (though only one plugged in at the moment) and a sound card + integrated audio.  If SoftXpand can separate the audio to different devices, setting up a second "machine" would be just a matter of plugging in a separate keyboard/mouse and headphones and redirecting video across.

Thanks for the offer too Yairf!
07/03/2012 06:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
yairf_miniframe
Neophitic Presence

Cool RE: Multiseating Windows
(07/03/2012 06:17 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Nice, thanks for the heads up!
I've pretty much given up on multiseating by now - have got a new PC since then.
But I'm always intrigued by the concept of it.  New version supports both 32 and 64 bit flavours of Windows 7 it appears, so I might give it a try when I get some time.
Heh, could always be a quick backup solution should I want to multiplayer something when someone comes over.  Have two monitors (though only one plugged in at the moment) and a sound card + integrated audio.  If SoftXpand can separate the audio to different devices, setting up a second "machine" would be just a matter of plugging in a separate keyboard/mouse and headphones and redirecting video across.

Thanks for the offer too Yairf!

Hi
Re: separating audio channels:
If you have two (or more) active audio channels, you can map them separately into 2 workstations, using SoftXpand configuration screen.
For that matter, the on-board sound card is considered as one audio channel, additional options are USB audio adapters, HDMI etc.
For example: you can assign the on-board audio channel to workstation #1, and the HDMI audio channel to workstation #2.

Re: games, wee have tried Minecraft - works straightforward on two workstations, Mass Effect will also work, but a number of steps are required beforehand.

Thanks,
Yair
12/03/2012 06:12 AM
freakadell
Neophitic Presence

Threads: 1
E-Pigs: 0.7322
(07/03/2012 09:44 AM)yairf_miniframe Wrote:  For readers of this forum, if you post a picture of your Duo setup, wee'll give you a free, unlimited license. Offer is valid throughout March 2012.
Thanks,
Yair
Yairf at miniframe dot com.

That Miniframe SoftXpand is quite nice and i have been thinking of getting a license and now i see this offer.
I have to figure out a way to get that pic but maybe Yarif will also settle for description?:D
Well i have set up one PC running Running Windows Server 2008 R2 and till few days ago i was running just dual monitor setup, TV on one room and PC monitor on another and if i wanted to see a movie on one room i had to switch the displays via Windows display manager (Win key+p is a big help). Also i have one user just for XBMC, most excellent media center i have used, and couple other users to do other stuff. Now with Duo i can have my XBMC always on my TV and i can use the second monitor for surfing the web or whatever.
If that won't do i have to put my screens side by side and take that pic:D
Thanks and take care.
16/03/2012 06:01 AM
michaelHIJINX
Neophitic Presence

E-Pigs: 0.6442
greetings, this is my first post on here, i don't know if yair was trying to plug softxpand or endlessparadigm, but i started an account to take advantage of his offer, I'll have some pictures up in the morning after i get home from work, unless i have install issues....o/
28/03/2012 08:46 PM
michaelHIJINX
Neophitic Presence

E-Pigs: 0.6442
Here is the setup with SoftXpand 2011 duo multiseating windows 7 64bit on two screens.
[Image: multiseat1.jpg][Image: multiseat2.jpg]
Living in a small townhouse that my beautiful baby girl has kinda taken over, i have consolidated my space and have the workstation cubbied & cornered under the stairs with the L of the desk doubling as the entertainment stand, using an Rii mini wireless keyboard&touchpad as a remote. it works great except that whenever i have wanted to go from dual screen workstation «» split between workstation & TV, I have had to reconfigure display, move windows around, and reconfigure sound. Also, there has been no separation of sound, so if there was a movie on, i couldn't do anything @ the desk that would make noise, without bothering the couch dwellers. This meant no music through my computer, no games with sound, etc... pain in the donkey.

Now, it is like having a second HTPC connected to the entertainment center (running XBMC). the sound is separate, so i can keep the speakers on or hook up headphones @ the desk while there is music or video playing through the tv & stereo through hdmi. Also, for those of you who love electric sheep and have always wished they could get it to display different sheep on each screen.... NOW IT DOES!! (for those of you who don't... electricsheep.org) I was concerned about it slowing down the computer, but i haven't noticed any lag. (Disclaimer, have not fully tested yet. I'll try playing a 1080p video file on one while running a high end game on the other soon, and do some simultaneous benchmarks to get the most accurate data.)

The only issues that i have with it is that the aero themes on windows 7 don't work with running 2 desktops off of 1 graphics card, i have been planning to get a second graphics card anyway to run all 3 screens at once. So right now the 2nd monitor of the dual screen setup is off, but i am led to believe that when i am running a crossfire setup, i should be able to have dual screen capability (on both desktops, if i find a need for a second display for the entertainment side.) and that the aero themes should work again. Ill see after i can budget another hundred bucks
(This post was last modified: 29/03/2012 08:49 PM by michaelHIJINX.)
29/03/2012 08:34 PM
yairf_miniframe
Neophitic Presence

Nice !!
Yair
30/03/2012 02:32 AM
ICE
Neophitic Presence

E-Pigs: 0.5640
Hi, just wanted to show my SoftXpand 2011 Duo 64 bit setup.

I only have one computer at home, and i only use it for gaming and as a HTPC running XBMC under Windows 7. I was considering buying a second computer since me and my girlfriend often have to finish some work at home, and a HTPC is really not the way to go. I had a wireless keyboard, mouse and a monitor laying around. I knew about multiseating under Linux and thought that there must be a solution for Windows as well.  So, after some googling I found this forum and Yairs post and thought I'll give it a try. I must say I'm very happy with the it. The PC is connected to the TV via HDMI, I use a remote, a wireless keyboard and mouse and sometimes my iPhone to control it. I only hooked up a second wireless keyboard+mouse and ran a VGA and a stereo audio cable (I had to use extension cables for both the VGA and audio) cable through the wall (the hole was already there) into the second room. Everything works flawlessly (audio, video, input), except Aero, but I can live with that. No problems playing games, watching HD video or running InDesign on both Workstations. Haven't tested every application i use or game I play, but  no problems so far.

I took the first image while I was setting everything up and testing it. The PC is in the cabinet under the TV. The second image was taken in the second room after I finished everything (sorry for the somewhat bad photos).

Spec:
Intel Core i7 2.93
8 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6870
Windows 7 64 SP1
LG 47" 3D TV (Full HD) + a 22" monitor (1680x1050)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

30/03/2012 04:49 PM