I hate this human-computer interaction course
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
I hate this human-computer interaction course
For my degree, wee must take this course.

...which is really annoying really.  Basically it's all about how to design interfaces and poo poo.  Okay, some things are interesting, and if you're absolutely horrible at designing user interfaces, it may actually be useful, but otherwise, it's a bunch of annoying concepts.

Think of trying to explain how to draw aesthetically pleasing paintings using mathematical equations...
You could be an excellent artist without ever having any form of knowledge of art theory (if such thing exists) or you could be an expert in the latter and still suck in the former...  If you're studying this kind of thing, okay, but for the rest of us (or at least me), it's stupid.

I'm complaining cause I've got this assignment to write up which is really annoying me >_< (can't figure out what the hell to write)

Interestingly enough, the course coordinator hasn't thought too much about weighting mark allocation well.  The assignment, in total, counts 10% toward your final grade.  There's 5 major sections in this assignment, each worth 1.5% - the remaining 2.5% is for summaries and grammar/spelling and correct referencing etc.  So basically, if I can't be stuffed writing a section, I really only lose 1.5% for it.
Pretty attractive considering that I'm spending hours trying to figure out how to write these things >_>
On another note, simply attending the weekly workshop and answering a question earns you 1% of your total grade (it's to try to get you to participate) and answering the question only takes like 5 minutes, so I'm wondering whether me spending hours for 1.5% is really worth it...

Oh and a presentation I had to do earlier, counting 20% of your total grade, only about 5% was actually based on content.  5% was based on presentation style (ie clear voice), 5% was based on your ability to get your peers to engage in discussion, and the remaining 5% was awarded if you submitted a "reflections" document on your presentation.  Which basically means you could make a presentation with pretty much irrelevant content and still get 15/20 - sweet.
18/04/2009 07:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Punk777E
Bowchikawowow

Threads: 10
E-Pigs: 3.0796
RE: I hate this human-computer interaction course
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:Okay, some things are interesting, and if you're absolutely horrible at designing user interfaces, it may actually be useful

That's me (i don't even know what the fudge that is!)
But that sounds like it sucks...
(i don't have to be a genius to figure that out)

[Image: 218ohu.jpg]
If you want to save the penguins clix here

Spoiler:
Whit3f4ng Wrote:I got 8 inches yesterday and another 5 today.
Punk777E Wrote:xDDDDDDDD
(This post was last modified: 18/04/2009 07:11 AM by Punk777E.)
18/04/2009 07:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Assassinator

Threads: 176
E-Pigs: 140.8363
As if you would complain if your marks distributions are like that.

Sure as hell beats most (1/2) of my courses (stats)... 25% - mid semester exam. 75% - final exam.
18/04/2009 07:50 AM
feinicks
One day... we Fly...

Threads: 531
E-Pigs: 210817.3958
Actually, the theory of art is pretty complex...

◄◄••• 天使たちの夢か? •••►►

[Image: ewualizer.gif]
My works!
18/04/2009 08:39 AM
J'adore le paissons
~The IRISH ex-Mod~

Threads: 101
E-Pigs: 9.0127
i know the feeling ZiNgA... HCI is part of my course too well atleast it is in second year and i have to agree it is the most pointless, stupid thing in the world! although i must admit i hate my UML class even more but atleast i can see the relevant side of that, HCI is just rediculous.
Your HCI seems better than mine though all wee do is go to class and look at powerpoint pressentations and then discuss stuff, i usually don't go in though :S
i bought THISto read although i have not read any yet so idk if it's any good just to try and pass the written exam but i already have 28% in the course so i should be fine.

[Image: 34f0juc.png]
[Image: 2a8evzq.png]
[Image: 14udjcx.png]
[Image: 29zvif7.gif]
[Image: sqk2f6.png]
[Image: 2djuv5j.png]
[Image: 143jqsk.png]
Spoiler for jimi hendrix:
[Image: 5nox36.jpg]
19/04/2009 05:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
Okay, now wee've got a group assignment due in a few days.  Wonderful when the other group members simply aren't doing anything >_>
What's even better is that wee just got an email wee additional requirements for the assignment.  The original deadline of 2 weeks was already absurd for the requirements IMO, but for something which potentially doubles the work load 4 days from the due date?
This course is already poorly administered...
07/05/2009 10:05 PM