Screwy PSP Headphone Remote
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
Screwy PSP Headphone Remote
Have been using mine for around 3 years, though since I don't treat things too well, it was inevitable that the wire would get screwy and the remote wouldn't really work well.

So have been out looking for a replacement.  Went to quite a few stores around town, a while ago, but none had them.  Happened to go again today, and they did have them.

At EB Games, they sold the "official" (I'm guessing the same Sony thing packaged with the Value Pack) remote + headphone for $49 (the Sony headphones are worth around $20 by themselves, so you're paying around $29 for the remote, ignoring packaging discounts)...  which is a complete ripoff considering you can get a reasonable 2GB MP3 player for that price (they obviously include the headphones though perhaps not so good), or a cheap "poo poo" 4GB for $39.

Saw a pack at JB HiFi selling for $19, so I got one of them.  Said for PSP Slim on the cover, but surely they didn't bother changing the plug between the two PSP revisions right?  Well, that's what I thought.  When I opened up the thing, inside it said "will only work on PSP Slim & Lite" - err...  wasn't made clear on the package.  As for the plug, well, it is designed as if it was deliberately not made to fit into the PSP-1000 - the hard plastic of the plug is shaped so it won't let you plug the thing into the old PSP - if it wasn't for this plastic bit, it looks like the plug should fit in.  I mean, double you tee eff?  Couldn't they have made the plug slightly longer so it would work for both normal and slim PSP???

Will probably try returning it later on, but... well... this is so stupid...
03/03/2009 12:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sparker
Super Lame Productions

Threads: 549
E-Pigs: 187.8892
RE: Screwy PSP Headphone Remote
See, it says only for slim so it was :p

03/03/2009 12:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Sparker Wrote:See, it says only for slim so it was :p
That's only inside the packet.

But X-Ray vision would be cool.
03/03/2009 12:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sparker
Super Lame Productions

Threads: 549
E-Pigs: 187.8892
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:
Sparker Wrote:See, it says only for slim so it was :p
That's only inside the packet.

But X-Ray vision would be cool.
Pfft, yeah right it only said on the inside.

ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:Have been using mine for around 3 years, though since I don't treat things too well, it was inevitable that the wire would get screwy and the remote wouldn't really work well.

So have been out looking for a replacement.  Went to quite a few stores around town, a while ago, but none had them.  Happened to go again today, and they did have them.

At EB Games, they sold the "official" (I'm guessing the same Sony thing packaged with the Value Pack) remote + headphone for $49 (the Sony headphones are worth around $20 by themselves, so you're paying around $29 for the remote, ignoring packaging discounts)...  which is a complete ripoff considering you can get a reasonable 2GB MP3 player for that price (they obviously include the headphones though perhaps not so good), or a cheap "poo poo" 4GB for $39.

Saw a pack at JB HiFi selling for $19, so I got one of them.  Said for PSP Slim on the cover, but surely they didn't bother changing the plug between the two PSP revisions right?  Well, that's what I thought.  When I opened up the thing, inside it said "will only work on PSP Slim & Lite" - err...  wasn't made clear on the package.  As for the plug, well, it is designed as if it was deliberately not made to fit into the PSP-1000 - the hard plastic of the plug is shaped so it won't let you plug the thing into the old PSP - if it wasn't for this plastic bit, it looks like the plug should fit in.  I mean, double you tee eff?  Couldn't they have made the plug slightly longer so it would work for both normal and slim PSP???

Will probably try returning it later on, but... well... this is so stupid...

(This post was last modified: 03/03/2009 12:23 AM by Sparker.)
03/03/2009 12:23 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Sparker Wrote:Pfft, yeah right it only said on the inside.
Outside: "for Slim"
Inside: "only works on Slim"

The term "for" implies compliance, not exclusivity. >_>  Like a USB stick being sold "for Windows Vista" - doesn't imply that it will only work on Windows Vista, since it's logical to assume the similarities between various Windows OSes will bridge the gap.  Similarly, it's natural to assume that, since both PSP revisions use the same plug and interface, that a device which works in one should work on another.
(This post was last modified: 03/03/2009 12:32 AM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
03/03/2009 12:29 AM
|-Anubis-|
<3 Girls

Threads: 45
E-Pigs: 26.8142
you're better off just getting it from eBay. However, I'm pretty sure that the PSP remotes I got there were China knock-offs (but it wasn't too obvious).

I've gone through three of the headphone remotes. EB games had them used for about $20 USD.

[Image: chikarusigrf1.png]
03/03/2009 12:35 AM
Vegetano1
$urf

Threads: 397
E-Pigs: 2756.6280
I have been looking to buy a headphone with remote everywhere.(offline ;p) ended up buying a normal headphone because was imposible to buy 1 here,. might try and buy 1 on e-bay but i want to be sure its original sony 1!

If the little plastic thingy is removed you might be able to use it on the 1000 psp>?! (but you won't be able to return it)

Make loads of $$!! it wurks!!
[Image: csbanner_anim_03.gif]
Signed Homebrew by bsanehi & OMightyBuggy
http://endlessparadigm.com/forum/showthr...?tid=25707
Spoiler for My miniBlog:
03/03/2009 03:02 AM
roberth
Resident Full Stop Abuser.....

Threads: 200
E-Pigs: 43.8419
ive got a chinese knock off remote....it works excellently tbf, better than my original did if im honest, which snapped after 6 months

Go with ebay, like Anubis said

03/03/2009 03:53 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Hmm, looks like the actually plugs are slightly different too, despite being the same size.  Noticed that my original remote thingy had 3 metal connector parts, the slim has much more.
By the way, the build quality of the new remote looks poo poo - slightly press one side down, and it looks like the other side will pop off, causing the whole button to fall out.  And the headphones are real poo poo.  I saw some headphones selling for $1 in a store once - I decided to buy them just to see how poo poo they were.  The bundled headphones with the remote sound about as bad as those $1 pair...

I'm still a little anxious about eBay, but I may give it a try (it's only a small item after all).  Thanks for the tip :)
03/03/2009 05:23 AM
SchmilK
Noob

Threads: 359
E-Pigs: 82.0266
i didnt know the slim had a remote?  is it just a 3rd polarity on the plug?

limneosgreen Wrote:Take my advice, don't try to install custom themes ... it's possible to brick ur psp.. why just don't change wallpaper
03/03/2009 07:47 AM