[Image: Necropost-kitten.jpg]
12/05/2009 08:48 PM
Quote this message in a reply
John Phoenix
Neophitic Presence

Threads: 0
E-Pigs: 0.5024
RE: How to make use of lots of free RAM on XP
Slushba 132 you are right and you are wrong.

You say you will never use more than 3 gigs of ram. You also say that the computer (32 bit) does not have the capability to use more than 3 gigs of ram. Lets examine this so the people will understand and not take your words so literally.

1.) You Can use more than 3 gigs and 2.) your computer IS capable of using more than 3 gigs.

Windows cannot use more than 3 to 3.50 of ram 'For its operating system use'
But it Can Free Up the left over 1 gig or so, that it will never see 'for its own use' to be used  by programs in other manners. Therefore both the above statements 1, and 2 are true.

In my case I have 4 gigs of Ram installed. XP says it can use 3.25 gigs of this. (sometimes up to 3.50 depending on your bios settings) I want to use my extra .75 of a gig of ram.. that's a whole 768 Megabytes. How I do it is use the /PAE switch in my boot.ini file in conjunction with Ramdisk Plus 9. PAE stands for Physical Address Extension and it lets windows free up that unused or unseen memory above 3 gigabytes. Although it is supported by windows XP 32 bit, it is disabled by default. Now Ramdisk Plus 9 ( I know there are free ramdisk programs that will do this too but I don't remember their names, do a google search) can take my 768 megabytes and use it for a ramdisk. No harm done because since windows could never use this ram for its operating system use, it will never miss it.

I am also using the eBoostr with the ramdisk. I have to judge which programs will run better in either the ramdisk or the eBoostr and configure accordingly.

The big plus side of this is you don't have to touch any of the ram windows could potentially use if you don't want to. You Can use this PAE and ramdisk method to create up to a 64 gigabyte ramdrive if you had that much extra physical memory.
12/05/2009 08:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply