Finally got a new Memstick + Tried Lightscribe
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
Finally got a new Memstick + Tried Lightscribe
Have been having this 1GB Lexar Memory Stick for nearly 3 years now, and pretty much lived fine off it.  Decided to spoil myself and get a AU$86 Sandisk 8GB Memstick, so I now have to find stuff to fill it up with (guess I'll stock up on heaps of music for now) :P
Also, the new stick has that "Magic Gate: Supported" thing in the XMB, whereas my old Lexar stick had "Unknown" next to it (though it worked fine, and had "Magic Gate" on the physical card).

Also bought some Lightscribe DVDs to see how well LS works.  Kinda dodgey - you have to download and install the Lightscribe system software, then you can use something like Nero's CoverDesigner to burn a label.  I've always thought Lightscribe to be poo poo, but it turned out to be slightly better than I had expected - burning a full label took 16 minutes (had read that it usually took nearly 30 mins) and the quality is alright, however:
  • Burnt image is too faint (hard to read some things) - have heard that it can be made darker by burning it multiple times, though I'm not sure whether you can just simply stick the DVD in and redo the label (might read up on that)
  • The system software installs a service, which is set to start up Automatic (though I'll admit it doesn't take up that much resources; but I also dislike apps which don't give you a choice where to install them >_>)
  • Since it's being burnt by your burner, you can only print onto the burnable area - many printable DVDs allow printing on some of the plastic part in the centre of the disc (thus LS has less area to burn on as opposed to printable DVDs)
  • All LS DVDs seem to be an ugly gold-brownish colour
  • LS DVDs cost about double that of regular printable DVDs
  • Burn process isn't too fast (16 minutes on my burner)
  • Only black and white (as opposed to printing), but shading appears to be reasonable
  • Resolution isn't terribly great, but quite reasonable IMO

Overall, it should be fine for black and white images, as long as it's not too reliant on dark shades (or you burn the image multiple times).
14/11/2008 05:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SchmilK
Noob

Threads: 359
E-Pigs: 82.0266
RE: Finally got a new Memstick + Tried Lightscribe
Ive never used lightscribe, but long time ago I had a cd writer that would burn images into the unused portion of the data side of the disk.  It too was only greyscale shaded colors, it was extremely hard to see until you got it at the right angle, but then it was a wow because everything had a wierd holographic look and feel to it.  

All in all it was a very pointless feature because who burns a cd that isn't full?  Light scribe is a little more functional...but when i was burning alot of disks i used a casio thermal label printer that would use a print ribbon and print a 3"x2" sized area on the disk that worked real well and was cheap..but was only 1 color per ribbon and didnt shade very well, so it just made very nice looking titles and labels.

by the way...yay 8gb!!

limneosgreen Wrote:Take my advice, don't try to install custom themes ... it's possible to brick ur psp.. why just don't change wallpaper
14/11/2008 06:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Wow, never heard of burning images on the data side - sounds cool for a novelty feature lol.
14/11/2008 06:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
boogschd
boogyman
Worlds End

Threads: 90
E-Pigs: 43.6852
SchmilK Wrote:yay 8gb!!

+YAY lightscrbe! :D

... tried buying a LS dvd once just to test it out ...

they don't sell em per piece ... so i had to buy like 5 pcs at a time .. meh..

(hmm... my printer has cd printing ... still havent tried that as well .. lol)
14/11/2008 07:03 AM
Vegetano1
$urf

Threads: 397
E-Pigs: 2756.6280
Why not buy a 16gig,.!? i want a 16gig! got plenty of stuff to stuff it with! :)

lightscribe,.!? kinda useless feature to me,. i got a good marker,.. ;)

Make loads of $$!! it wurks!!
[Image: csbanner_anim_03.gif]
Signed Homebrew by bsanehi & OMightyBuggy
http://endlessparadigm.com/forum/showthr...?tid=25707
Spoiler for My miniBlog:
14/11/2008 07:06 AM
boogschd
boogyman
Worlds End

Threads: 90
E-Pigs: 43.6852
Vegetano1 Wrote:Why not buy a 16gig,.!?

more expensive i suppose? Hmmm
14/11/2008 07:22 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Don't have 16GB here.  And probably the price is through the roof - really don't need it (considering I'm fine with 1GB)...

Yeah, I got a pack of 30 LS DVDs for AU$24 - expensive-ish, but not too much.  Also got a pack of 25 DL DVD-Rs for $25 - also paid a premium on that, but not too bad (seems like prices of these things are coming down, though the price of Blu-ray discs have pretty much been on standstill for the last few months).
14/11/2008 07:35 AM
Gadget
ɯƃıpɐɹɐd ssǝןpuǝ

Threads: 69
E-Pigs: 63.3012
I use lightscribe, I think it is pretty cool, I like it.   I Burned color images (of course they don't show color) & such on it & they seem to all look pretty good, My only issue was the whole in the CD< you got to plan your pic around it..lol.. but whatever..  I just bought a 5 pack to test LS out & I was happy with the outcome, but I think they are expensive in comparison, I would buy nothing but LS CD’s if they were the same price… But I had no bad thoughts about LS

PSN: Brick_Factory

Spoiler for sigpic:
[Image: 157nb04.png]
Spoiler for NeCr0-B0T:
Necro-Bot
Necro may refer to:
    * necro-, the Greek prefix meaning death
Bot or BOT or similar may refer to:
    * Internet bot, computer program which does automated tasks
    * Botnet, network of "zombie" computers used to carry out automated tasks such as spamming
(This post was last modified: 14/11/2008 07:17 PM by Gadget.)
14/11/2008 02:15 PM
Necro-Bot
Non-existent

Thread Revived!!!
[Image: gd9au.jpg]
06/01/2009 01:10 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Assassinator

Threads: 176
E-Pigs: 140.8363
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:[list]
  • Burnt image is too faint (hard to read some things) - have heard that it can be made darker by burning it multiple times, though I'm not sure whether you can just simply stick the DVD in and redo the label (might read up on that)

• I seriously doubt that would work.

You won't be able to align it perfectly. I mean the 2nd burning would not likely (read: extremely extremely unlikely) be exactly on top of the first. So most likely you will end up with another image on top of the first rotated some amount of degrees.

Heh, Necrobot going to come get me?
    06/01/2009 01:10 PM
    Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply