Programming help: Xcode
Chroma
Chromatic Nutjob

Threads: 435
E-Pigs: 40.2135
Programming help: Xcode
I've been starting to research Xcode, as I'm gonna start programming on Mac once school is over. I already got my mom to agree to let me use her iMac to practice until I get a Mac of my own, in August.

Anyway, Xcode is a suite of coding tools for the Universal Mac binary, meaning the programs it makes will work on Intel and PowerPC. It says on Wikipedia that it supports the C, C++, Objective-C, Objective-C++, Java, AppleScript, Python and Ruby. I want to start teaching myself some coding this summer, then study it some more once college starts in the fall. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, so I want to start small and start to learn one language for now. Also, any coding knowledge I have will help my chances of getting a job in concept art, as people who can bridge the middle ground between art and programming in a videogame development environment are very valuable. So, what language should I start learning? What would be the best for a noob?

PS- I hope to one day be good enough to port useful PC programs to Mac, like maybe a certain PSP customization tool made by a guy whose username is reminiscent of a type of sandwich Hihi

PSN ID: Chroma3000
My Steam Page
ADD ME
superdouche Wrote:
TheGuy Wrote:
superdouche Wrote:You need at least an 8 inch penis, that's what I heard.
Man, if I had 8 inches, I would find a better use for it :P
Like what, pushing elevator buttons?
(This post was last modified: 22/05/2008 04:34 PM by Chroma.)
22/05/2008 04:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA
Smart Alternative

Threads: 1,174
E-Pigs: 446.0333
RE: Programming help: Xcode
I would probably recommend C, then C++.  They're not exactly the easiest, but definitely the most valuable, and once you understand those two languages, you should be able to understand almost every other language.

Some people would recommend Java, because it's strongly OoP based (has a fair bit of hype these days), but I think C++'s OoP is generally enough (I don't really like Java personally, and personally don't think OoP is that great).
26/05/2008 04:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply