Four-year old plays GTA
Hellgiver
Team Ramrod

Threads: 230
E-Pigs: 57.9774
Four-year old plays GTA
Quote:Editor's note: I have to profess that I experienced some initial shock upon reading the headline of this article, but I think I should not comment further and just let you folks experience this tale for yourselves. I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed. -Jay

Read more: My Four-Year-Old Son Plays Grand Theft Auto http://www.bitmob.com/articles/my-four-y...z0sb5vqlf0

At the very impressionable age of four, my son loved Grand Theft Auto. More specifically, the version he played was the Hot Coffee moddable, San Andreas. Before Child Protective Services bestows upon me the prestigious honor of father of the year, allow me to explain.

Hot CoffeeGaming has been a part of my sons’ life since the moment he was born, so I was not surprised when he showed an interest in video games as early as the age of two. I started him off where I began my gaming career: the original Nintendo Entertainment System. He built up his hand-eye coordination and took the bridge out from under Bowser in no time. Then, one day, he got a glimpse of me playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and asked if he could play. What happened next was quite the eye-opener.

With a DualShock controller in hand, he started to press each button individually as he tried to figure out what their functions were. Soon he asked, “How do I get in a car?” I pointed and told him, “The one with the green triangle on it.”

I egged him on to take the car in front of him which was waiting at the red light. He quickly looked up at me with disgust and refused, stating that the car was already owned by the person driving it. His response absolutely amazed me, so I decided to sit back and observe how he chose to interact with this highly controversial game without the aid of a rotten-minded adult.

He finally entered an unoccupied car and began driving. He was very mindful of the other cars and pedestrians. He didn't know the rules of the road, so he ran red lights and turned down one-way streets in the wrong direction. However, he did stop at intersections if a group of cars gathered waiting for the light to turn green.

At one such intersection he attempted to brake, but he was traveling too fast. Instead of plowing into the rear of the car ahead of him, he swerved to the right and popped up onto to sidewalk. In doing so, he accidently ran over a woman walking towards his oncoming car. He was incredibly ashamed of himself and profusely apologized.

“It’s okay. It’s only a game. It’s not real”, I reassured him. After a few minutes of me explaining the difference between a game and real life, he felt comfortable enough to continue playing.

Only seconds later, he witnessed a policeman jump out of his patrol car to pursue a criminal of San Andreas.  His eyes lit up as he asked if he could drive the police car. I reminded him that it was only a game, and it was fine to take the car. As he drove the squad car, I pressed L3 to turn on the lights and siren.  He asked very excitedly if he could get the bad guys too. With a huge smile I pressed R3 to initiate the Vigilante Missions.  It was as if his imagination had come to life. He was taking down delinquents left and right. As expected, the dangerous work of an officer brought an ambulance.

At this point my son was familiar with the game’s mechanics and hopped into the ambulance. As he put the crime fighting behind him, he wondered aloud if it was possible to take people to the hospital. I instruct him to press R3, and then he was off to save a few lives. He was having a blast racing from point to point, picking up people in need, and then speeding off to Las Venturas Hospital. During one of his life saving adventures, he passed a fire house with a big, red, shiny fire truck parked out front. He didn't want to let his passengers down, so he took them to the hospital and then asked if I could guide him back to the fire truck.

Getting behind the driver’s seat of the fire truck awarded him with the most fun he had while playing Grand Theft Auto.  With sirens blaring, he chased down the first red dot on the map. As he approached a car engulfed in flames he began showering it with the truck’s water cannon. Fire after fire, he extinguished them all.
In all his time with Grand Theft Auto he never once encountered any of the controversy surrounding this notorious title. He didn’t beat any hookers with a baseball bat.  He didn’t deal drugs. He didn’t go on a murderous rampage. He certainly never once had a cup of hot coffee. He didn't avoid these things because I told him he counldn't try them. It just never occurred to him to commit these acts.

The ESRB rating found on every game cover is a great tool for parents who are not familiar with games and their content, but I strongly disagree with using it as a tool to raise our kids. Every child is different and, as parents, it is our responsibility to cater to their individual needs. I understand not every kid is like mine, so I wouldn’t recommend that every parent allow their child to play Grand Theft Auto. But I would recommend that you listen and pay attention to your little ones to determine what they are capable of handling and what they are not ready for yet. They might even surprise you and find the light in something thought to have been so dark.  

Read more: My Four-Year-Old Son Plays Grand Theft Auto http://www.bitmob.com/articles/my-four-y...z0sb5J0liw

source: http://www.bitmob.com/articles/my-four-y...theft-auto

Warms my heart. But stories like this are never told, regardless of its truth. Much more sensible to always use video games as a scapegoat, and focus on any possible negatives than the positives.

[Image: toocool.png]
<3 Diego!
(This post was last modified: 02/07/2010 11:36 PM by Hellgiver.)
02/07/2010 11:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dSmoove
Able One

Threads: 8
E-Pigs: 4.2695
RE: Four-year old plays GTA
I can see his future from right here.

[Image: vectroxdminip.png]
02/07/2010 11:20 PM
boogschd
boogyman
Worlds End

Threads: 90
E-Pigs: 43.6852
good kid

i sure hope he doesn't do any of those iRL

Madwin
02/07/2010 11:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Silvertie
Older, less cringe, still mad.
Fractal Insanity

Threads: 32
E-Pigs: 32.7022
Good kid, looks like his moral compass is set right. Or at least, not broken yet.

"Books! I've read several on the subject!"
[Image: khadorsigfinal.jpg]
Silvertie: The Blog | A Door In Nowhere: The Webcomic
03/07/2010 12:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cR@Zy!NgLi$h
Speculator

Threads: 37
E-Pigs: 8.9041
Fuck I was trying to teach my 3-yr old to play Toy Story 3 on Wii last night, then went to the pub.  He preceded to teach his Mum how to play it.

These kids learn fast.

[Image: signature2ct1.jpg]
03/07/2010 02:36 AM
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
haha, love it, nice story.

(02/07/2010 11:20 PM)dSmoove Wrote:  I can see his future from right here.
03/07/2010 02:56 AM
Sparker
Super Lame Productions

Threads: 549
E-Pigs: 187.8892
I might've done similar if I was introduced to GTA in my toddler years.

03/07/2010 05:04 AM
Grey Ghost
Still kicking!
Fractal Insanity

Threads: 112
E-Pigs: 161.5986
interesting....
03/07/2010 05:21 AM
roberth
Resident Full Stop Abuser.....

Threads: 200
E-Pigs: 43.8419
Fair play to the kid. Nice to see someone who can raise a child properly show people why a game is a game

That said, sont think I'll be playing GTA like that (or at all) any time soon >_>

03/07/2010 06:48 AM
Shady
Sometimes when poo, I hungry

Threads: 472
E-Pigs: 508.0987
(03/07/2010 02:36 AM)cR@Zy!NgLi$h Wrote:  Fuck I was trying to teach my 3-yr old to play Toy Story 3 on Wii last night, then went to the pub.  He preceded to teach his Mum how to play it.

These kids learn fast.

i fudgeing lol'd hard

but yeah that's quite interesting. he shoulda recorded it :P

(09/06/2011 06:25 AM)S7* Wrote:  Spambots are strange, mysterious creatures.
(This post was last modified: 03/07/2010 07:39 AM by Shady.)
03/07/2010 07:37 AM