"Gamer" Sentenced to Death
Assassinator

Threads: 176
E-Pigs: 140.8363
RE: "Gamer" Sentenced to Death
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:
Assassinator Wrote:If kids do something bad, and the parents do nothing about it, it just makes the kids more daring. They build up confidence to do more each time you let them go. There needs to be rules, and if your kids break them, you will need to punish them. If you don't, it will just encourage them to break it even more.

For example, if your kid doesn't do homework, and when you tell him to do it, he picks up a nearby object, and breaks the window, you DON'T go something like "awwww... I'm sooo sorry, I didn't really think about what you felt... sorry for hurting your feelings... how about this, I'll give you a treat to make up to you..." that is NOT good. That's the kind of thing that will completely fuck up your kid. Instead, you should seriously punish him, and make sure he never does it again.
I think the idea is to not let your children get that kind of mentality in the first place.

That kind of mentality builds up over time. Like I said, if you let them go on the small thing every time, it will only make them build up confidence and do it more. And that's what it'll eventually end up as. If you don't apply any control, the problem will just escalate, and very soon, it'll become very big, and very hard to control (like in that example).

If you tell them something like that poo poo I made up in the example, "awwww... I'm sooo sorry, I didn't really think about what you felt... sorry for hurting your feelings... how about this, I'll give you a treat to make up to you..." That makes them think they're right, and that makes them do it even more. That's the kind of parents who will end up getting beaten up by their child, like you hear on the TV.

Hellgiver Wrote:
Assassinator Wrote:The purpose of school is to prepare them child for the future. The future work environment is full of competition. The future is a place where if do not know how to compete, you will just fall the the bottom. Competition is what strives us to be better. It is what makes us better.

I completely hate this the attitude wee are adopting in schools. This attitude where everything is "alright". If you fail, it's "alright", aleast you "tried". If you can't do it, it's "alright", "noone's good at everything". What bullshit is this. If you fail, it is NOT "alright". How is this poo poo preparing you for the future... In the workforce, you fail and you're screwed. You can't do it, and you're out. Noone cares whether you tried or not. Your boss does not pay you to "try". He pays you for results. And it is results that count. Schools these days make it sound like it's "alright" to fail. Well, in real life, if you fail, then you fail. I've heard that someone here is thinking about abolishing the grading scheme in schools all together, because it hurts the confidence of the children who don't do as well... What is the point of building up this useless self confidence if it will just be shattered as soon as you hit the real world... The guy who thought this up needs to be hung upside down and have his head stuck into a toilet until he drowns in the piss (ok, maybe that's going a bit to far. Hahaha...)
I agree completely.  That is one reason I have been getting so mad about the dodge ball and tag thing as well.  School is one of the main places where kids learn to interact, and this is teaching them that everything will always be safe, and you will never get hurt.  There's no need for people to be competitive, because there's no way an employer will choose the better candidate for a job.  How will they deal with a let down like that?  You learn early on to deal with disappointment and it won't be so dramatic later in life.

Yeah I agree. Having it all hit you at once is probably be far more likely to cause a depression/suicide than if you are slowly let to understand and accept it at a young age. And depression/suicide is the anti-competition people's main argument.

Hellgiver Wrote:You know, you are also dead on with no one failing.  Did you know I actually have (had) 3 Tae Kwon Do sparring trophies? I was HORRIBLE at it. I was more into it because it was fun and a good way to stay physical, but was horrible in competition.  It was 3-4 people in each section fighting each other and putting on  single demonstration.  Guess how many people got a trophy?  3-4.  That's right, you'd get a trophy if you got onto the floor when your name was called, shit yourself, and sat back down. Last place got a huge fricking trophy.  Of course I used them for all my destructive needs at a young age because they meant absolutely nothing to me.  Same thing with chess trophies, oftentimes. I actually have thrown away 2 or 3 trophies because they were 4th or 5th place.  4th or 5th might mean something if it were out of 100 people, but when it is just 20 people or so in a smaller tournament, it starts losing its value.  

They can try to sugar coat it by giving out all the trophies they want, but kids who learned how to deal with competition early aren't tricked by such things.  Wee obviously enjoy the competition and strive to do our best. If wee know wee did horribly or did well below our best and are still rewarded for it, that physical reward means nothing. If anything, it is just a bad memory.  All I needed to take from those tournys are my recorded games and I just looked over them to see how I messed up and I don't make such mistakes again.  That's all I needed to take from that experience.

Competition is like the core of our society. The want to be better than others is one of the most basic human natures.

it is what drives the human race forward. The want to beat others thus the need to become better.

Governments compete against each other. Business' compete with each other. Humans in general compete. Cometition is a part of everything, and that's what makes us better. Due to competition, governments, companies and humans in general are driven to do new stuff, to become better, and that is what drives us forwards.

If competition never exsisted, wee would still be monkeys. If wee never want to be better, then wee never would get better. Then monkeys would be better than us, since they know how to compete. Wee would all be dead. Survival of the fittest. Rule of nature.

The idea of getting rid of competition is just ridiculous.
(This post was last modified: 14/03/2008 07:14 PM by Assassinator.)
14/03/2008 07:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
S7*
Sweet Dreams

Threads: 1,056
E-Pigs: 383.2289
RE: "Gamer" Sentenced to Death
Theres loads to read here....... o_o

Ultimately, what Zinga said was right.... Individualism is dying... and its a shame.

Its a fact that the further wee get into this decade, things seem to be getting inside out and not making logical sense to those who HAVE a brain to reason with the typical mind.

Theres not much to be said here, but I just damn glad I'm talking with a bunch of people who really do know what they're talking about, and I am grateful for that. And my family, too, who raised me very well, and I believe I am lucky to be able to say that.

Thanks~
15/03/2008 01:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply