Endless Paradigm

Full Version: Custom bootsounds/XMB sounds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, decided to write this tutorial cause it's easy to do :P
Well... not exactly...

The advantages of this method over others:
  • You can use stereo sounds (even stereo click sounds :P)
  • Use longer/shorter sounds than before
  • No hexing required

Okay then:
Contents
  1. Creating your sound
  2. Converting to VAG
  3. Replacing in the RCO
  4. Installing

Tools required
1. Creating your sound
You'll need an audio source of some kind.  Let's say wee're making a custom coldboot sound and wee're using the first few seconds of the song as our bootsound.  Open your song in your audio editor and delete everything that you don't need.  Now save this part as a 16bit 44,100Hz WAV (PCM) file.
If you want stereo sound, save each channel as a 16bit 44,100Hz WAV (PCM) file.  To do this, in SoundForge (for other programs, you'll have to figure it out yourself) click your mouse in the top channel so that the cursor is only in the top half, then select all of it.  It should look something like this:
[Image: clipboard01ch4.th.jpg]
Now press Ctrl+A then Ctrl+E - you'll have a new file opened with just one channel - just save this as a WAV, then repeat with the other channel.

Note: for custom bootsounds, although you can use really long sounds, it's recommended to keep it down to about 4 seconds.  The PSP cuts off the sound after loading a certain part.  So if your PSP takes ages to load up, I guess you could use a longer sound, but just keep in mind that long sounds take up a lot of flash0 space...

2. Converting to VAG
Now that you have your WAV file(s):
  1. Open up MFAudio.exe
  2. Click Open and select your WAV file
  3. In the Output audio file » File Format listbox, select VAG - Sony PSX Sound - Compressed ADPCM
  4. Click the Save As button and select where to save the file
  5. Finally click Process
  6. If you're making a stereo bootsound/click sound repeat the above with your 2nd WAV file

3. Replacing in the RCO
  1. Open up RCOEdit.exe
  2. Open opening_plugin.rco or system_plugin_fg.rco (the former is for bootsounds, the latter is for XMB click sounds).  Note, you must use a FW2.50 or FW2.60 RCO
  3. In the list, scroll down till you see some [VAG] entries
  4. Select the file you wish to replace, then click Replace
  5. A dialog will pop up - select whether you want to make a stereo sound or not
  6. Now just add your VAG(s)
  7. Click OK

4. Installing
WARNING: this step involves flashing - do not attempt this if you don't know how to recover and know what you're doing etc etc.  I am not responsible if you somehow manage to brick

NOTE: I strongly recommend you having custom firmware - it's possible to semi-brick by flashing RCOs.

Now, this procedure depends slightly on your version number:
For 3.03 OE-C or later users
  1. Enter recovery menu - if you don't even know how to do that, shoot yourself
  2. Go to Advanced » Enable flash0 USB (or whatever it's called)
  3. Connect your USB cable to the PC if not done so already
  4. Go into flash0:/vsh/resource and copy opening_plugin.rco and system_plugin.rco to somewhere on your HDD - this is your backup copy - don't loose them!
  5. Copy your modified RCOs into flash0:/vsh/resource overwriting the previous ones
  6. Exit recovery mode and enjoy

For 3.03 OE-B or older usersI suggest upgrading to 3.03 OE-C or later - this makes things easier, but if you insist on staying at the lower firmware, figure out how to use PSP Filer...

Note: using a FW2.50 or FW2.60 opening_plugin.rco (custom bootsound) will cause PSX not to work, however there is a work around.  More info can be found in Ruttus' guide: http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=74269
Excellent guide.   Thanks Zinga.  :D

Now get to making those boot/click sounds people!  :P
Nice guide ZiNgA BuRgA! I'm going to try this out later on today :D
Yeah thanks for this Zinga. I actually revised my the gunshots one inca gave me before reading. Once I noticed the vag replacing method on your new RCoEdit 1.11, I went bananas with just thinkin of the possibilities. I love this thread though, cause when newbs ask. I'll just drop a link rather then raise my temper, lol j/k I'm a psp hacking supporter.
damm... i did all right! and the sound are so messed up!
saved as PCM wav 44100 16 bit, converted to VAG (same wav profile).. tried with cursor wound =[
rudamaia Wrote:tried with cursor wound =[
Huh?

Having problems?  Try giving me the stuff, I'll see what you've done.
Nice guide ZiNgA.
-J0kR- Wrote:Yeah thanks for this Zinga. I actually revised my the gunshots one inca gave me before reading. Once I noticed the vag replacing method on your new RCoEdit 1.11, I went bananas with just thinkin of the possibilities. I love this thread though, cause when newbs ask. I'll just drop a link rather then raise my temper, lol j/k I'm a psp hacking supporter.

Dude im still waiting for you to upload it. lol
MFAudio converter (52.9KB) kill link.
new link please :)
thanks ZiNgA BuRgA.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's