Endless Paradigm

Full Version: Google Removes App Ops From KitKat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
EFF Wrote:Yesterday, wee published a blog post lauding an extremely important app privacy feature that was added in Android 4.3. That feature allows users to install apps while preventing the app from collecting sensitive data like the user's location or address book.

After wee published the post, several people contacted us to say that the feature had actually been removed in Android 4.4.2, which was released earlier this week. Today, wee installed that update to our test device, and can confirm that the App Ops privacy feature that wee were excited about yesterday is in fact now gone.

When asked for comment, Google told us that the feature had only ever been released by accident — that it was experimental, and that it could break some of the apps policed by it. Wee are suspicious of this explanation, and do not think that it in any way justifies removing the feature rather than improving it.

The disappearance of App Ops is alarming news for Android users. The fact that they cannot turn off app permissions is a Stygian hole in the Android security model, and a billion people's data is being sucked through. Embarrassingly, it is also one that Apple managed to fix in iOS years ago.

Read More

Good job, Google. This really doesn't help your already bad image.
Read this earlier. I really hope the backlash from this has them put it back in. But in all actuality I don't care. I also don't care if the NSA is reading all my emails either.
NAS and google just wants everybody hershey kisses
Good thing for being able to root phones!
eKusoshisut0 Wrote: [ -> ]Good thing for being able to root phones!

Specky

Don't get why they're removing it though (the reason they are stating seems like complete bullchocolate to me)... the more knowledgeable users won't have much problem with this so whatever.
That hurts Android... I don't get their statement either. Was it a security feature or just NSA fodder?
Has plenty of problems, but Droidwall may be of assistance.  If the app can't access the network, there's less that it can ultimately do with your info.
There was also a permissions app which could deny permissions or similar, but I couldn't get it to work.  Android's app permission system could use some improvement, but I doubt it's going to happen.

YoYoBallz Wrote: [ -> ]NAS and google just wants everybody hershey kisses
If that was meant to be a joke, then this would kill it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25118156
Davis Wrote: [ -> ]
eKusoshisut0 Wrote: [ -> ]Good thing for being able to root phones!

Specky

Don't get why they're removing it though (the reason they are stating seems like complete bullchocolate to me)... the more knowledgeable users won't have much problem with this so whatever.

Seeing as it's a hidden app, only the more knowledgeable users are gonna be the ones to be using it.
Reference URL's