Endless Paradigm

Full Version: Classical Piano
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Firstly, thank you for your appreciation of my Zelda piano themes I showed you guys the other day. I'm hoping I can begin to steadily deliver some good entertainment here, piano is a big part of my life and I hope you guys will enjoy watching almost as much as I enjoy playing. I know there will be a bunch of members here who have an interest in playing, and I hope I can inspire some people to play. Anyone here who already plays, I would be delighted to have a decent chinwag about music and stuff. I also play guitar too :)

As well as Tim Minchin covers, and game music, I also play a lot of classical. As a self taught pianist, I get the most joy from playing works of genius by the likes of Beethoven, Chopin and Debussy. Some Scott Joplin ragtime is to come soon, and I'm even thinking of doing a piano cover of Eminem's 'Stan' lololololol Hahaha

So as you can tell my style and genre preferences are quite diverse, and today I would like to show you 3 classical pieces I recently learned.

Thanks for watching! Yay
You've done an amazing job for being self taught!  Those songs aren't in any way easy!

Since I don't know how to praise people properly, I'll put forward some criticisms, which hopefully help you out.  I'm only really familiar with the Arabesque, so I'll focus on that:

00:19:
it's marked as 'rit' followed by 'a tempo', not a pause, so make sure that your left hand doesn't stop here; you do it quite well at 03:25, so I'd follow that example

00:45:
starting from here, be careful that the right hand quaver pair is not meant to line up with the left hand triplets.  Unlike jazz, the quavers need to be played with even duration.  For example, in bar 19, the quaver pair is G, B; the G should be played with the B in the left hand, and the B in the right hand should be played shortly after the E in the left, NOT at the same time as the C is played in the left hand.  If you're having trouble, try playing the right hand by itself and it should be easier to tell if you're playing the quavers evenly or not.
Unfortunately, you've done this a number of times throughout the song, so it may be a hard habit to break out of.

01:06:
don't pause here :)

Overall:
- you miss/skip a note here and there in your right hand triplets - perhaps practice them a bit more slowly to make sure you're sounding every note
- again, not sure if this is a limitation of the recording, but I'd work on your dynamics more; this piece has quite the range, so it needs to be expressed
- I'm not a fan of rubato, but I'd probably add more than you have in there.  Debussy is quite expressive after all.

Again great job on all of that - I can't imagine how long it took you to get so far...
Wow, I did not expect an in-depth reply, thanks Zinga! I agree with almost everything you picked up on - the pause feels right to me! Other than that, you are bang on with your constructive criticisms.

I have to say that the nature of your reply begs the question: are you a pianist? Or at the least , a musician of some sort?

One other thing - they are 'pieces', not songs lol.

Dude, thanks again, your detailed analysis is much appreciated.
Very impressive for being self taught. Good job.
I've played the Arabesque 1 somewhat, so I have a general idea of what it's meant to be like.
I've always taken lessons though, so good job on doing this all alone!  Considering the effort you put in, I'm sure you'll produce something epic pretty soon :)
Reference URL's