Endless Paradigm

Full Version: TV for Dogs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With people moving to online sources for video content, TV providers are desperately seeking new viewers.

Quote:[Image: 25well-dogtv-tmagArticle.jpg]

Plenty of things will grab a dog’s attention: squirrels, tennis balls, funny smells, other dogs. But a TV channel?

Absolutely, say the makers of DogTV, the first cable network to deliver 24-hour programming for dogs. The idea, they say, is that flipping on the channel while you go out for the day will keep your pet stimulated, entertained and relaxed. Call it “Sesame Street” for those who will never learn their ABCs.

The shows on DogTV are actually three- to six-minute segments featuring grassy fields, bouncing balls and humans rubbing dog tummies. There are also segments featuring noiseless vacuum cleaners and muted doorbells to help make dogs more comfortable around such common household agitations.

Executives at the network say their programming is scientifically designed to appeal to dogs. “Wee have three years of research on how dogs react to different stimuli,” said Bonnie Vieira, a spokeswoman for DogTV.

For instance, she explained, “For dogs who suffer from separation anxiety, DogTV is a tool that might help ease them, so maybe they’re not getting into trouble, and they’re happier, more relaxed, when you get home.”

But can dogs actually watch, and benefit from, television? Like most questions regarding canine consciousness, the answer depends on whom you ask.

“I think a lot of this is to make us feel better as opposed to making the pet happier,” said Dr. Ann E. Hohenhaus, a staff veterinarian for the Animal Medical Center in Manhattan. “Your pet needs adequate exercise and an interesting environment. You cannot just put on the TV and hope your dog is going to get better.”

Still, if the dog is paying attention to the screen, odds are it likes what it sees. “If the dog wasn’t enjoying it, he would find something else to do, like nibble on the end of a sofa,” Dr. Hohenhaus said. In that way, dog-oriented shows “could be a component” in a program designed to alleviate separation anxiety.
- Source: [NYTimes]
wee'll have stoner dogs next who do nothing but watch this channel all day and eat all of your food. don't ask me how they'll smoke i haven't thought that far yet
my dog already watches tv...
This and smell-o-vision, dogs best dream.....and our worst nightmare.
next time dogs can be talked!
Wonder what's on after watershed.
Reference URL's