Endless Paradigm

Full Version: Teens trying dangerous new 'salt and ice challenge'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[Image: burn-from-salt-and-ice-image-2.jpg]
ClickOn Detroit Wrote:Detroit - You know what salt does to ice on a snowy road, It causes a chemical reaction.

Some teens are trying a dangerous trend called the salt and ice challenge. And, the results could be painful or cause serious injuries.

When you combine salt and ice on skin, it does damage to living cells and tissue.
It isn't hard to find teenagers foolish enough to try it either.

"It is in fact a stupid teenager prank or an event, something to do. What they do is they take salt and they lay it on a layer of skin and than they press ice down on it and in doing so it decreases the freezing point, which is normally 32 degrees Fahrenheit for ice, and it lowers that," said Dr. Ryan Shear.

At Botsford Hospital, mainly teenage boys are coming in with 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd degree skin burns from the challenge.

Doctors have seen enough teens with burns recently to know this is a problem.
Because salt and ice are common every day items, they can't be legislated under lock and key, they can't be hidden away, there is no black market for them.

And so that means the only way to stop teens from trying this, is parent-power.

Parents need to be aware that this is out there so they can have a proactive discussions with their teenagers and stop this at the curiosity, dare level.
Source: ClickOn Detroit

In other news, teenagers are trying a dangerous new drug called 'falling'. Supposedly, a child can, by intentionally tripping, cause a 'high'. Parents are advised to keep their children away from any hard surface, and to lock up any asphalt in the house, as it is the most potent drug for 'falling'.
lol
"New". Kids were doing this when I was in elementary school ten years ago.
i have done this... or rather had the salt on the ice on a plate
LEL
I'm glad that I'm almost done being a "stupid teenager"
eKusoshisut0 Wrote: [ -> ]LEL
Joomsy Wrote: [ -> ]"New". Kids were doing this when I was in elementary school ten years ago.

My thoughts exactly
Almost as stupid as the Cinnamon challenge! wait...
bazz Wrote: [ -> ]
Joomsy Wrote: [ -> ]"New". Kids were doing this when I was in elementary school ten years ago.

My thoughts exactly

Yep. Also, anyone remember kids burning a clipper for about a minute, then pressing the heated metal casing and sparker (in other words, the top of the lighter) into the skin of a hand to make a smiley face?

Always idiocy abounds.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's