Endless Paradigm

Full Version: How about that windows 8?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
8 annoyed the testicles off of me when i used it. Metro feels tacked on to fit with tablet use. It lasted less than a week on my PC when I tried before i obliterated it and went back to my 7 partition.
windows 8 sucks.. until someone removes the metro...
Le Jooms Wrote: [ -> ]Christ, that's thin. AND NO PORTS WHATSOEVER.

Well, everything's in the tablet bit.

Windows 8 only works on touchscreen stuff like Touchscreen desktops and tablets. Why make it available for normal computers?
Kamiko Wrote: [ -> ]
Le Jooms Wrote: [ -> ]Christ, that's thin. AND NO PORTS WHATSOEVER.

Well, everything's in the tablet bit.

Windows 8 only works on touchscreen stuff like Touchscreen desktops and tablets. Why make it available for normal computers?

It actually works surprisingly well with a keyboard. I thought the same thing when the Previews were released, but using the RTM these past 2 weeks and can say I was wrong.
I don't see how you can call UEFI a feature. feels more like crippleware to me.
trademark91 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see how you can call UEFI a feature. feels more like crippleware to me.

Boot security has been missing for ages. If you aren't a Linux user, it's the smartest thing they could have added. And if you are, VMWare.
Kuu Wrote: [ -> ]And if you are, VMWare.
Not a solution really.

But the secure boot kerfaffle going on in the open source community can typically just be turned off in the BIOS settings anyway.  It just makes it that much more difficult for newbies, but it's not really an issue for anyone technically inclined.
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote: [ -> ]
Kuu Wrote: [ -> ]And if you are, VMWare.
Not a solution really.

What can't you do (that requires Linux) with a PC running Windows and VMWare Hmmm
Have full control over your system?
VMs are an ugly solution and don't give direct access to hardware a lot of the time.

If you only care about non high performance userland stuff, then it works - still ugly having Windows consume a heap load of RAM/system resources and having to be the first to boot up (increasing boot times).  But if you want deeper integration into hardware or applications demanding high performance, a VM won't be a viable solution.
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote: [ -> ]Have full control over your system?
VMs are an ugly solution and don't give direct access to hardware a lot of the time.

If you only care about non high performance userland stuff, then it works - still ugly having Windows consume a heap load of RAM/system resources and having to be the first to boot up (increasing boot times).  But if you want deeper integration into hardware or applications demanding high performance, a VM won't be a viable solution.

Just get hardware soooooo gooooooood it doesn't matter how unoptimized and chocolatetily it is used

on a serious note...
I'm all against the whole microsoft anti CP all your images without your permission,
and for most of windows 7s cosmetic aspect I'm currently building a replacement shell that works exactly how I want...
so I can't really see switching when nothing on my current pc seems broken lol
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's