Endless Paradigm

Full Version: Xbox 720 looking to kill used games market
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:Miffed at the possibility that new game consoles could lock out used games? Get used to it.

“I’ve heard from one reliable industry source that Microsoft intends to incorporate some sort of anti-used game system as part of their so-called Xbox 720,” Kotaku’s Steven Totilo wrote on Wednesday morning. I have no reason to doubt that he heard that. It doesn’t necessarily mean it’s happening — at this point, Microsoft is probably considering all sorts of features for its next Xbox console and floating them by game developers to see what the reaction is. But I’m sure it’s something that’s being very strongly considered. Also, the death of used games is inevitable.

PlayStation Vita, Sony’s next portable game machine, should be seen as an interim step on the road to the no-used-games future. Every Vita game that is released on cartridge (read: can be sold or traded) will also be released as a cheaper download (read: one owner). Sony would love it if Vita was like iPhone, and every game was sold digitally — no cost to produce the goods, no possibility of used sales. Customers currently expect gaming consoles to act a certain way, though. They expect to be able to go to the store, buy a game and sell it back. And they expect to be able to buy pre-owned games at a lower price.

But the success of digital-only, one-owner games on PC, phones, tablets and social networks must surely be helping to change consumers’ attitudes about what a game system is “supposed” to do. So as soon as Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo et al. think they can get away with it, the disc or cartridge will simply disappear, replaced entirely by digital game sales. What wee are possibly looking at now is an interim period in which the disc as a delivery method is still around but it becomes more like a PC game, which are sold with one-time-use keys that grant one owner a license to play the game on his machine.

Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games are already locking away significant content, like Catwoman in Batman: Arkham City, behind just such a scheme. It’s not that far of a leap to just locking up the whole game. The only thing keeping them from doing so, besides customers’ expectations, is the fact that an Internet connection would be required. In 2010, a study said that 78% of PlayStation 3 owners and 73% of Xbox 360 owners had their consoles hooked up to the series of tubes. That’s a lot, but 27% of Xbox 360 owners is still a few million people who can’t play any content that requires online verification.
- Source: [Wired]
Gamestop isn't gonna be too happy about this >.<
Hmm. I don't know...With so many people who aren't connected online with their 360s, the only thing I think they can do is a physical measure. And that'll probably be hacked apart quickly.
Everyone isn't us though, i.e. not everyone hacks their consoles.

I think that is a serious downer point, Sony could use to their advantage by not implementing such blocks into the PS4.
xBu Wrote: [ -> ]Gamestop isn't gonna be too happy about this >.<

Good in that aspect imo :p
i think a lot of people are going to be uncomfortable with a digital only gaming market. it saves the developers and publishers money but a lot of stores are going to be put out of business, internet bills will skyrocket wit increased downloads and after Sony's PSN fiasco do you think anyone will ever fully trust the digital market? as much as companies want to stop copyright a digital download only option is not the way forward.
^ Well, plenty of people trust the iTunes store and Android market, as well as Steam, which is digital only...
I guess if done correctly, it could work.
One of the other issues with a completely digital market is the line of where law and rights are concerned, take this article I recently read as example.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/...eam-games/

Now granted that is a different case, but I think where and how these games are managed and what that means for the users buying them stands to make a point.
Yeah, I'd argue the above is more of an issue with putting everything into the cloud.
Megaupload goes down, you lose anything you stored there, regardless of whether you think you own it or not.  What happens if GMail went down tomorrow?  Would you lose all your emails?
I agree, that case is definitely a cloud issue but in general I'm becoming somewhat concerned with this idea of a "digital download only" set shop option for the possible future. I really dislike the idea of having software I purchase tied to an account of some sort with little to no direct control on what's happening to it. I'm a little old fashion in the sense that I prefer to have the box in my hands. But I suppose you have a point, on the internet everything is archived in one way or another and no doubt companies like Microsoft have thought to do the same in case something happens.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's