Endless Paradigm

Full Version: I wrote a roguelike-like in Bash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
And I think everyone should check it out.

It's a roguelike-like because it's like a roguelike. It features dungeons similar to classic roguelikes, yet has turn based battles.

It was originally meant to be a game to lampoon the chipmusic scene, but decided to add different 'languages' so more than just people of the chipmusic scene can enjoy it. :3

For those of you on Linux/OS X, you should have zero problems playing this (although Mac users, if you want background music, you'll have to install gstreamer).

Windows users, you have two options, neither of which are as easy as running the game on Linux/OS X:
1) Install cygwin and the ncurses library. But be warned the game is extremely (virtually unplayabley) slow.
2) Install some *NIX distro in a virtual machine. Personally, I recommend Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux, as they're both damn small, yet still Linux, and should be plenty suitable for this.

TOTALLY READ THE README WHEN YOU DOWNLOAD IT.

If you want to play the Generic version, and not the chipscene version, simply start the game with the 'generic' argument. :3

http://tacticalbread.info/hairquest/
Spoiler for screenshots (some pretty old):
[Image: shot00.png]

[Image: shot01.png]

[Image: shot02.png]

[Image: shot03.png]

[Image: shot04.png]

[Image: shot05.png]

[Image: shot06.png]

[Image: shot07.png]

[Image: shot08.png]

[Image: shot09.png]

[Image: shot10.png]

[Image: shot11.png]

[Image: shot12.png]

[Image: shot13.png]
Also, it's still quite basic. Small dungeon + random battles, and that's about it. :p

AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK. :D
Cool game lol.
Got to the end (I think - broken stairs).

Leveling up a bit too slow, but quite clever :)
So you made this? Cool, I'll try it out once I'm using my own computer.
nurehtix Wrote: [ -> ]And I think everyone should check it out.

It's a roguelike-like because it's like a roguelike. It features dungeons similar to classic roguelikes, yet has turn based battles.

It was originally meant to be a game to lampoon the chipmusic scene, but decided to add different 'languages' so more than just people of the chipmusic scene can enjoy it. :3

For those of you on Linux/OS X, you should have zero problems playing this (although Mac users, if you want background music, you'll have to install gstreamer).

Windows users, you have two options, neither of which are as easy as running the game on Linux/OS X:
1) Install cygwin and the ncurses library. But be warned the game is extremely (virtually unplayabley) slow.
2) Install some *NIX distro in a virtual machine. Personally, I recommend Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux, as they're both damn small, yet still Linux, and should be plenty suitable for this.

TOTALLY READ THE README WHEN YOU DOWNLOAD IT.

If you want to play the Generic version, and not the chipscene version, simply start the game with the 'generic' argument. :3

http://tacticalbread.info/hairquest/day49.tar.gz

Also, it's still quite basic. Small dungeon + random battles, and that's about it. :p

AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK. :D

there is a full, non emulated, linux libraby add on for windows, so you can run linux stuffs (to a degree) on windows at full speed
Added some (old lol) screenshots. Last three are new.

I added a classic Roguelike message box, that sticks around, and displays a few past messages.

Also, new day49.tar.gz up, with the new message box. It's still day49 for 5 and half more hours. :p

I'm working on adding a simple quest right now. Woo

ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote: [ -> ]Cool game lol.
Got to the end (I think - broken stairs).

Leveling up a bit too slow, but quite clever :)

heh yeah, that's the end of the dungeon so far. :p

My programming skills are not a high enough level for me to be able to figure out how to randomly generate working levels in bash yet (if it's even possible in bash lol).

Sparker Wrote: [ -> ]So you made this? Cool, I'll try it out once I'm using my own computer.

yes sir I did. :p

dark_mirage Wrote: [ -> ]there is a full, non emulated, linux libraby add on for windows, so you can run linux stuffs (to a degree) on windows at full speed

care to share?

If it does bash and tput, it should work.
cygwin and MinGW/MSYS are the only Unixy stuffs to Windows that I'm aware of.
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote: [ -> ]cygwin and MinGW/MSYS are the only Unixy stuffs to Windows that I'm aware of.

I figured lol.

I tried it in cygwin, and it's slow as balls. *NIX in a VM would, I'm sure, be much faster.
cool.

i still prefer the newer rouge-like (and some old ones) games.

randomness for the win.
Syfe Wrote: [ -> ]cool.

i still prefer the newer rouge-like (and some old ones) games.

randomness for the win.

I like Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup the best. :p

I hope to (if it's even possible with Bash lol) get this to be pretty roguelike. :p
i meant like... Persona 3 and "Rogue Dungeons"

but i see what you mean by that game though.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's