Endless Paradigm

Full Version: Physical or Chemical Change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So in my biology class wee were discussing whether a baby gaining 10 pounds is a physical change or a chemical change. The definition of a chemical change in our books is "when the change made changes the substances and is irreversible". So I'm wondering, what does EP think this is?Hmmm
MICk3Y Wrote:So in my biology class wee were discussing whether a baby gaining 10 pounds is a physical change or a chemical change. The definition of a chemical change in our books is "when the change made is irreversible". So I'm wondering, what does EP think this is?Hmmm

in my chemistry class, a Quimical Change is a change that involves modifying the chemical composition of the sustance,

but that is a physical one anyways because a baby can lose those 10 pounds...
Kaiser Wrote:
MICk3Y Wrote:So in my biology class wee were discussing whether a baby gaining 10 pounds is a physical change or a chemical change. The definition of a chemical change in our books is "when the change made is irreversible". So I'm wondering, what does EP think this is?Hmmm

in my chemistry class, a Quimical Change is a change that involves modifying the chemical composition of the sustance,

but that is a physical one anyways because a baby can lose those 10 pounds...

But those 10 pounds he loses probably wouldnt be the same ten pounds he gained, and some of the 10 pounds he gained would probably never be lost again
also yeah that also part of the definition, but i just included the part that confused me
It's physical. Chemical is like when you cook something. You can't un-cook it, but with a baby gaining weight, he/she/it can lose that weight
I say physical change. Biology For the loss, Physics For the win!
its a physical change. or more accurately, a Physio-Chemical This is so because the mass of the baby is due increase in the no. of individual mass particles (like cells).

If you want the exact co-relation of the physical-chemical reactions, then read on:

The Chemical change within the body of the baby (or any living being) would be among the various bio-chemical processes that are going on. Eg. Osmoregulation, digestion, respiration (I imply the Fe-Hb relationship here). A baby eating food would be a physical ativity, but the breakdown of the food to release glucose and conversion of the glucose to glycogen would be a chemical process. However, due to the chemical processes, a very predominant physical process takes place: Division and multiplication of cells. Each cell has an individual mass. The weight of the body is dictated by how much mass constitutes the physical body.

Hence gain/loss of weight is a Physical process.
Source: YouTube

This should pretty much sum up my answer
Its physical. If you can get it back, its physical.
by the way... chemical reactions are of two types..

irreversible- where the reactants are lost
reversible- where you can get them back from the product(s)
physical :D

lol @ physics For the win
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's